Chapter 1

The Passing of Time

 

Minseok was drowning. He didn't know how long he had been underwater, but he felt like every part of him was about to explode. His chest was on fire, his head heavy as lead. Every once and a while he could hear shouting and screaming. It hurt his ears. The rest was nothing but silence, except for every so often. Occasionally he would hear a different voice. This voice was soft, soothing even. It sounded sad and every time he heard it, it got quieter. At first it was becoming desperate, and then after a while it just sounded empty. Like the person behind it had lost all hope.

 

He couldn't handle that voice anymore. He couldn't handle the amount of sadness and desperation he heard in it. He had to pull through. He had to break the surface once again. He fought, kicking wildly at the water around him. He wanted to see the sun again. Wanted to tell the voice that he was okay and that everything was going to be okay. The problem was every time he fought he could feel himself going to wrong way. It scared him enough that he would stop. But he didn't want to drown. He didn't want to die.

 

He closed his eyes for a moment and heard a new voice. It wasn't the same one as usual, but it sounded just as sad.

 

“We can't keep this up Minseok. It's killing all of us, especially Luhan. It'll be best to just let you go,” the voice said. Minseok began to panic. Let him go? What did that mean? With a new burst of energy he began fighting again, more ferociously than ever before. This time he was headed in the correct direction. He could see the surface of the water this time. He reached for him, grasping desperately for the air on the other side. The closer he got, the louder sounds became. There was harsh beeping and shouting.

 

“Nurse get that man out of here!” a voice shouted.

 

“Minseok!”

 

“I don't believe it....he's really coming out of it...” After that everything went silent.

 

When Minseok woke his throat and head were on fire. He opened his eyes and the light nearly burned them out of their sockets. He tried to make noise, but nothing came out. He just started coughing. He rolled over onto his side when the coughing got worse. A nurse rushed in and sat next him, rubbing his back gently. When the coughing subsided he looked up at her.

 

“Welcome back Minseok,” the nurse said with a smile. Minseok looked around, finally adjusted to the light, and found that everything was the same as how he had remembered it. Everything was white. The only difference there wasn't another bed in the room. He was the only occupant. He heard shouting from the hall and looked over.

 

“Let go of me! I have to see him!” the voice yelled. Minseok winced when he heard something break. The nurse let out a frustrated sigh and opened the door. The first thing Minseok saw was flailing legs and he tried not to laugh too hard.

 

“Just let him in guys, it's alright,” the nurse said. Minseok heard a few not so polite words and Chanyeol walked into the room. When he saw Minseok he stopped and Minseok could see the tears form in his eyes.

 

“You idiot,” Chanyeol said, choking back his tears. He rushed over to the bed an practically fell into a hug. Minseok winced, but hugged back anyway. “Damn it Minseok, we thought we lost you.” Minseok pulled away and looked at him, afraid. “What's wrong?”

 

“I'm afraid to ask how long I've been asleep,” Minseok admitted quietly. His voice sounded so pathetic. Chanyeol wiped his eyes with his sleeve and looked sympathetic. He wasn't going to like the answer.

 

“I hate to be the one to break it to you man, but it's March 28th. You've been in a coma for three years,” Chanyeol replied.