Chapter 4

The Passing of Time

 

Minseok stood outside the hospital, a small smile on his lips. After about a week of practicing with the nurses and his friends he was finally able to walk with the cane without any real assistance. Jongdae was leaning against the car, smiling at Minseok. Minseok walked over and Jongdae held the passenger side door open for him.

 

“I'm not your girlfriend Jongdae,” Minseok grumbled.

 

“No, but you're still delicate,” Jongdae laughed. Minseok glared slightly and got in the car.

 

“Nice car by the way,” Minseok commented. Jongdae got into the driver side and sighed.

 

“Thank you. I had to get a new one after you and Luhan totaled my last one. And Baekhyun's,” Jongdae replied harsher than he intended. Minseok winced slightly and looked out the window. “Sorry, I didn't mean to snap like that.”

 

“No, it's fine. Any news on his whereabouts?” Minseok asked.

 

“We've been trying to figure out where he could've gone. Even Wufan has started helping. We've narrowed it down to about three different spots,” Jongdae explained. Minseok nodded and waited for him to continue. “One is a cabin in the middle of the woods that he used to go to when he wanted to be alone. Another is back to his home in China. The last one is Wufan's old apartment, but none of us really thought he went there.” Minseok stared out of the window, just thinking. He thought he knew Luhan well enough to pick the right location, but for some reason none of them sounded right.

 

Jongdae pulled into his parking spot and got out of the car. Minseok got out quickly before Jongdae could open the door for him. It seemed a little weird. Jongdae noticed and chuckled. They walked into the building and took the elevator to their floor. Jongdae unlocked the door to their apartment and they both walked in. Minseok looked around, noticing things were mostly the same as he remembered. The TV was newer and there were new game systems, but other than that nothing was different.

 

“The other guys are coming over for a little welcome back party in about an hour,” Jongdae said. Minseok looked back and nodded slightly. He walked around the apartment slowly, just looking. When he came to his bedroom door he stopped. This was probably where Luhan slept while he was in a coma. Three years he slept in this room alone. Minseok took a deep breath and walked in. Everything was cleaner than he remembered, and he could see Luhan's things integrated with his own. The closet had two sets of clothing. The top of the dresser held his toiletries. His shoes were at the end of the bed. Minseok was almost brought to tears. Luhan was so close, he could feel him, but he wasn't here. He sat on the bed and just got lost in his thoughts again. Where could he have gone?

 

Minseok hadn't realized how deep into his head he went until he was snapped out of it by the sound of the door opening. Immediately he could hear Chanyeol and he chuckled. He stood up and walked out of his room, greeted by all his friends. Kyungsoo was holding some sort of casserole, Chanyeol was holding some sort of alcohol, and Baekhyun was practically holding Chanyeol up. Minseok noticed Zitao had also come, and he was holding a box.

 

“Chanyeol really? You couldn't wait until the party?” Jongdae asked, looking appalled. Baekhyun just shrugged and Chanyeol couldn't stop giggling. Baekhyun dumped Chanyeol on the couch and wiped his hands on his pants. Zitao kind of looked out of place and put the box on the table.

 

“Hey Zitao, I'm glad you could make it,” Jongdae said with a smile. Zitao smiled back slightly.

 

“Yeah, Wufan left to take care of some stuff, so I figured I'd make an appearance,” Zitao replied.

 

“Well, I'm glad. You need to get out more,” Jongdae said as he began to set the table. Minseok walked into sight, everyone turning to look at him.

 

“Welcome home Minseok,” Kyungsoo greeted with a large smile. Minseok smiled back and walked over.

 

“Thank you Kyungsoo,” Minseok replied. He walked into the kitchen and sat at the table, putting his cane to the side. He felt like an old man using it, but then again he was three years older than he originally thought.

 

“I'm not moving Chanyeol again, he can eat where he is,” Baekhyun said crossing his arms and sitting down. Minseok chuckles slightly and looked at Chanyeol, who apparently was having a very heated conversation with himself.

 

“I think we'll just leave him be for now,” Kyungsoo replied, obviously afraid to interrupt his conversation. Jongdae walked over to Chanyeol and smacked him in the back of the head before walking into the kitchen.

 

“Hey! What was that for?” Chanyeol yelled, his voice slurring everywhere.

 

“For being a terrible example. My God never bless you with children,” Jongdae replied, obviously annoyed of Chanyeol's wasted state.

 

“I'm pretty sure all the alcohol has made him quite sterile,” Baekhyun muttered. Minseok laughed and everyone else just smiled. Zitao was the only one who didn't say or do anything. He actually appeared to be lost in his own thoughts. “Zitao? You still with us buddy?” Zitao snapped out of it and blinked at Baekhyun.

 

“Yeah, I'm sill here,” Zitao answered, sitting on one of the chairs. Kyungsoo began to serve the casserole and Jongdae sat next to Minseok.

 

“Where's your head Zitao?” Jongdae asked curiously.

 

“Where it's been for the last two weeks,” Zitao admitted quietly. The room grew silent and everyone just looked down. “I'm sorry, but with you back I've been more desperate to figure out where he went than ever. I'm not stupid, I know you can pull Luhan out of the shadows he's been living in for the past three years.”

 

“Maybe he's at the river,” Chanyeol yelled from the couch. Everyone looked over at him startled. Chanyeol stood up, his face completely serious. “Where would you go to be closer to someone? The last place you saw each other.”

 

“Chanyeol. Aren't you suppose to be drunk?” Baekhyun asked, very shocked at the sound logic. Chanyeol just burst into laughter.

 

“He has a point,” Kyungsoo said, but Minseok was already standing and heading for the door. “Wait! You don't even know if he's actually there.”

 

“I know, but it doesn't hurt to look. I'll be back soon I promise,” Minseok replied, smiling at everyone. He walked out the door and began heading toward the river, cursing his slow pace. He still needed the cane and was only 90% stable on his own. The dusk turned to night faster than he expected and he pulled his coat closer to his chest. It was still chilly, even if it was April.

 

Minseok reached the bridge and stood on the sidewalk next to traffic, just looking around. He looked at the water and saw it mostly undisturbed, save for the occasional wave caused by the wind. He sighed. Where could Luhan be by the bridge? This was stupid. He walked across the bridge and walked down to the waters edge, just staring at his reflection. It was three years that Luhan had pulled him out of this very river. He heard a cough and looked over quickly. There was something moving in the shadows under the bridge.

 

Minseok's heart quickened as he walked as fast as he could toward the figure. He couldn't risk running; he could very well trip and fall into the river. He wasn't sure it was Luhan, but it gave him hope. He found the person covered in a thick dirty blanket and he knelt next to him. He gently pulled the blanket away from the figure's head and gasped. Luhan's hair was caked with dirt and grass, a fashion statement his face also followed. His face was flushed with fever, his breathing shallow and quick. Minseok's eyes filled with tears. He was alive. And he found him. Luhan opened his eyes slightly and looked over at him.

 

“Hi Luhan,” Minseok whispered.

A/N: I have finally reached the point I've been waiting for! (and you've been waiting for I'm sure)  I hope you like chapter 4~  Comments are always appreciated ^^