Two

A Blue Sky to Watch Over

 

 

Myungsoo slept for a very long time when they took him back to Sungyeol's shop and set him up in Hoya's bedroom. It was only to be expected; he'd completely exhausted himself fighting so hard at his reaping.

 

Sungjong spent more time sitting outside Hoya's room while Myungsoo slept than he'd like to admit. Eventually Sungyeol had kicked at his shins and made him help around with the shop a little before handing him a steaming cup that smelled really good. "Drink this. When the new kid wakes up you can make him some. It's in the top cabinet behind the counter."

 

Sungjong smiled in thanks and then took a sniff of the aromatic drink and raised an eyebrow at it, "What does it do?" he asked, hoping Sungyeol wasn't trying to turn their new employee into a frog or something.

 

"Yah! It's tea! You don't do magic on the unwilling, who do you think I am? Jeez." He tsk'd at Sungjong in disgust before he walked away. Sungjong knew what he actually meant was he hadn't gotten to know Myungsoo well enough to know if he needed to be turned into a frog, bad magic or not.

 

Sungjong hadn't even taken a sip when Hoya's door opened and Myungsoo peaked out, hair messed up all over and pillow creases on his face, his collar pulled to the side. Sungjong stood and Myungsoo just stared at him. For a long time they just looked at each other and then Myungsoo said, "I'm still dead?"

 

"Yes?" Sungjong told him hesitantly, wondering if he needed to go back to bed for a little while, but now Myungsoo was beginning to pale. "That doesn't change. It's okay though, remember. You're going to be okay." He walked closer and pressed Sungyeol's tea into Myungsoo's hands, happy when they closed tightly over it.

 

When Myungsoo nodded his thanks, Sungjong smiled, "Just keep moving. We'll help you." He gestured to the stairs that lead to the first floor and the back of the shop. "I'll show you around when you're ready."

 

"I'm ready." Myungsoo told him immediately.

 

It turned out Myungsoo looked very, very good in his suit. Sungjong was pretty sure they were the only reapers who really dressed up to collect-- if you forgot those s who decided to wear black cloaks and carry scythes for the hell of it, to scare souls and make themselves feel like badasses-- and they could blame Dongwoo for it, but seeing Myungsoo in a suit, button up stretching across his chest and the suit falling perfectly across his broad shoulders, moving with him as he buttoned a cuff link, that was worth the time of donning the suits for every reap.

 

"Okay," Sungjong started. Myungsoo wasn't the first reaper he'd taught, but sometimes he always had a hard time, especially in the face of Myungsoo's eagerness. He wasn't sure if Myungsoo was so intent because he felt like he belonged or because he thought they'd take away their end of the bargain if he was a bad reaper. Sungjong sometimes watched Myungsoo listening intently to Dongwoo's advice and hoped Myungsoo was beginning to adjust to them. "Before you can reap, you have to retrieve the heaven key." Myungsoo already knew this, but Sungjong repeated himself anyway; Myungsoo would have his first reap today. "When you're ready to go on your own, I will fetch the keys for you, or you can decide to do them both by yourself. Today though, we'll do them both together."

 

Sungjong really hoped Myungsoo felt like he belonged with them, because he was a natural. Sungjong had been worried when they found the soul they were meant to reap: a young girl huddled in her bed, cold and alone and obviously neglected. If Sungjong could have chosen an easier first reap for Myungsoo he would have-- in an instant. There were some reaps that were much harder than others, why did Myungsoo have to get this girl. To Sungjong's surprise, however, Myungsoo just calmly kneeled in front of her and stoked her eyebrow lightly with his thumb. The tender caress made Sungjong's chest tighten and it effectively pulled her soul out of her abused body, just like Sungjong had told Myungsoo it would. When the girl saw Myungsoo she didn't even look surprised-- she didn't look happy or sad, mostly she looked tired.

 

"I have something for you." Myungsoo had told her softly, when she'd pushed herself away from her body and leaned in towards Myungsoo. Most often younger souls, tired souls or souls who craved peace found comfort in reapers in ways that others didn't. Hoya had been so relieved to be done with his tiresome sickness and making his family weary with worry. He'd been ready to go and had embraced his death. Sunggyu had given in because he felt the peace that would come with his afterlife in a way he'd never experienced in his actual life, not with the war and loses of loved ones and becoming a young soldier. Sungjong himself had somehow just known he would hurt no more if he only gave in, and had let Dongwoo take him without any protest. This girl was the same, leaning in towards her reaper without fear, only looking forward, bravely. Myungsoo held out a pretty key in the palm of his hand, it was less than half the size of his palm and delicate looking but it was sturdy to the touch, no mistake. Sungjong had felt it himself. "Would you like this? It unlocks your heaven, if you want it." And that was that. Myungsoo had breezed through his first reap without any problems and Sungjong tried not to smile too widely.

 

When Dongwoo decided they should throw Myungsoo a first-reap party when they returned, Myungsoo had laughed loudly and asked for chocolate cake, if they were really going to celebrate. Sungjong felt warm hearing Myungsoo's laughter. Some souls grieved for a very long time, even after they became reapers, Dongwoo had told him, so he shouldn't be surprised if Myungsoo took a very long time to settle in with them. When Sungyeol brought out bottles of soju and Myungsoo shyly asked if instead Sungjong would make him more tea, Sungjong knew he had nothing to worry about; whether Myungsoo felt like he belonged with them or not, he belonged with them.

 

Most of the time when Myungsoo had a question he went to Sungjong about it. Dongwoo called Sungjong his mentor, although Sungjong felt too inexperienced to be anyone's mentor. Sungyeol would laugh at that, but just because he'd been "alive" for a couple hundred years meant nothing. If anything, Dongwoo was everyone's mentor, but that didn't change the fact that it was Sungjong's room Myungsoo would slip into, looking curious and eager and full of questions at night. He would sit on Sungjong's bed and say what he needed to say. That said, Myungsoo and Sunggyu had a special connection, and that was Woohyun.

 

When Myungsoo visited his brother for the first time after becoming a reaper Sungjong had followed and watched Myungsoo tail his brother through his day. Woohyun wouldn't notice him. Since they were brothers, Myungsoo was even more camouflaged than normal. Sungjong could see how much Myungsoo ached that he couldn't interact with his brother anymore, but he could also see just how much it calmed Myungsoo to get his fill of his brother's quiet life, still going on, even with Myungsoo gone. Sungjong knew that even though Myungsoo hated that he would never be able to say hello in a way Woohyun would recognize, he would choose their arrangement any day over his heaven-- and Sungjong was so glad about that. Hundreds of years meeting countless souls and there is just one key that Sungjong hoped he never had to hand over. He hoped he would keep Myungsoo's key locked away forever.

 

There was just one other person just as attached to Myungsoo's brother as Myungsoo was, and that was Sunggyu, by Myungsoo's request. By request, but not by duty, Sunggyu had agreed to watch over Myungsoo's brother. There was no resistance on Sunggyu's part; almost every day he would have something to report to Myungsoo about Woohyun, short and to the point, his soldier roots showing themselves although he never looked displeased about it.

 

"He's decided to rent out his old room to a friend." Sungjong heard Sunggyu repeated to Myungsoo.

 

Myungsoo swallowed heavily and nodded, "Good. He shouldn't be alone. He should find someone, or find a good friend. The house is too big to live in alone." And, as it always did when he heard news of his brother, his face became soft, "Thank you Sunggyu."

 

Sunggyu nodded once, mouth tight like he wanted to say more, but he wouldn't. He turned to leave first and Sungjong had to pull himself into the hallway, hoping it wouldn't look like he was eavesdropping. He saw Sunggyu pause at the end of the hallway, even though he hadn't seen Sungjong and he ran a hand over his tired face. The sigh that Sungjong heard from him was weary and then he was straightening up and leaving. Sungjong would worry about Sunggyu's exhaust another time because Myungsoo was still in his room, raw as always after hearing about his brother.

 

Myungsoo glanced up at Sungjong when he came in; he was on his bed hunched over and Sungjong ached for him. Myungsoo rarely became like this anymore, but sometimes, especially after his talks with Sunggyu, he relapsed into this darkness. Dongwoo had told Sungjong it was common and that it would fade with time and experience. For now though, his misery made Sungjong feel helpless. As he walked forward, Myungsoo said nothing; he waited until Sungjong had gotten close enough, closer than was probably appropriate, and his hands closed over Sungjong's hips as he pressed his face into Sungjong's stomach. Sungjong's hands lifted to Myungsoo's head while he stayed there, shoulders shaking just slightly.

 

Neither of them moved for a while, and Sungjong was fine like that. He was fine with Myungsoo's arms wrapped around him, Myungsoo's breath hot against his stomach. Myungsoo wasn't crying, but it was close. Eventually when Myungsoo spoke, he said, "How did all of you die?"

 

Sungjong's eyebrows raised in surprise. "That's something you should ask them." He responded softly, unable to figure out since when his fingers had begun lightly scratching at Myungsoo's scalp.

 

Myungsoo seemed to press into the touches. "Well then. How did you die?" He asked and then took a breath, "You don't have to answer me."

 

"No," Sungjong said, shaking his head even though Myungsoo couldn't see it. "It's alright. I died a very long time ago, so it's alright." And it was, it didn't hurt him anymore. It never had really.

 

"You were young, right?"

 

"Mmhmm. I was seventeen."

 

Myungsoo's head lifted just enough to look up at him. There was a mark on the side of his nose from the button of Sungjong's shirt. "That young?"

 

"Yes. I can't remember everything," Sungjong murmured, still rubbing lightly at Myungsoo's head, "I'd run away from home, not about anything serious. There was a group of people who were very angry. They killed a lot of people, not just me."

 

Myungsoo's hand's tightened around his waist, "You were murdered?" His voice was rough and Sungjong couldn't help but laugh.

 

"It's okay!" He said again, "I told you, it was a long time ago. They weren't after me, I was just a casualty. A lot of other people lost their lives that night too. I can't even remember what it was about. Maybe a political protest."

 

Now Myungsoo was looking at him, chin still digging in to his abdomen, but waiting for Sungjong to come out of reverie and look at him again, "Why didn't you choose heaven?"

 

The way Myungsoo looked at him made goosebumps rise on the back of Sungjong's neck. It was an intense look that he fought not to blush under. "I can't even really remember that now. I think I figured 'Why not?' Dongwoo reaped me and I felt safer with him than I had alive. I felt more at peace dead than I had alive. Why would I uproot myself from that?" He felt Myungsoo swallow when he finished and couldn't help himself from asking, "Why didn't you?" Although he knew the reason.

 

"My brother." Myungsoo answered immediately, and then he took another breath, "And I felt like it'd be okay if I stayed with you. You were my reaper."

 

"Sunggyu was your reaper," Sungjong argued.

 

"I only looked at you. You brought my heaven but I didn't want it."

 

"Because you didn't want to leave your brother alone."

 

"Yes," Myungsoo agreed, finally lifting his head from Sungjong, but his arms bringing Sungjong with him as he moved, "I didn't want to leave him behind, but you offered me my key and I didn't really want to leave you behind either." Sungjong froze beneath Myungsoo's hands, breath taken from him. "You were my reaper and part of me knew I'd be okay if I stayed with you."

 

"Myungsoo," Sungjong breathed around the ache in his throat.

 

"This isn't a bad life." Myungsoo said softly, blinking up so sweetly at Sungjong, bangs falling into his eyes. "Afterlife." He corrected himself. The way his mouth pulled to the side as he spoke was quietly pleading, but Sungjong couldn't figure out for what. No, he could. Something unspoken between them that had really always been there. Sungjong had just figured it was a no-go zone and left it; now it was right in front of him-- tangible.

 

"I might miss Woohyun, but I can watch him when I want. And he always has Sunggyu. Sunggyu is good; he cares about Woohyun. You guys are my friends now, but most of all, I have you."

 

Sungjong was close to letting himself relax in Myungsoo's arms. That's what he wanted: to let Myungsoo pull him in and keep him there, but he wasn't sure it was right. Maybe he hadn't been dead long enough to know how it worked-- Dongwoo certainly had never told him anything about dating in the afterlife, but for some reason it felt like he wasn't allowed. "Myungsoo, I..." Sungjong trailed off, unsure of what to say. Most of him wanted to reciprocate the feelings Myungsoo had left out for him and the rest wanted to hold back because something told him if coworker relationships were frowned upon, then what about afterlife coworkers? Why hadn't he ever heard about these things before? Had they just never occurred to Dongwoo to talk about?

 

But before he could really say anything, he was stopped by Myungsoo's quiet, understanding voice. "I know." He agreed. "It's alright."

 

"But I--" Sungjong didn't want Myungsoo to think this was just his rejection. Thankfully Myungsoo smiled unevenly and reached up a hand, using his thumb to smooth the crease between Sungjong's eyes.

 

"I know." He said again, and Sungjong was assured-- he did know.

 

Later, much later, Sungjong asked Dongwoo. Not wanting to give anything away, he asked it in front of Hoya and Sungyeol, which he began to regret when Dongwoo's face grew blank and his movements sharp. Still he asked about loving someone in the afterlife and whether it was allowed or not.

 

"No." Dongwoo told him plainly, "There's no reason for reapers to have a significant other. Not in this job. And anyway, it's so unlikely that it's just unreasonable"

 

Sungjong wondered if love was ever supposed to be reasonable, but he could see the argument. How often would a reaper find someone they could love? But it didn't seem entirely unlikely. He loved Dongwoo and Hoya and Sunggyu and Sungyeol-- just as friends, it would be just as easy to find someone to love a little bit more, a little bit differently. It had to have happened to someone.

 

"It does happen." Dongwoo said, when Sungjong voiced his argument. If Sungjong had been paying attention, he'd have noticed Hoya's painfully straight back-- the way he was pretending to be uninterested in their conversation. "And reapers are reprimanded for it."

 

"What?" Sungyeol said indignantly, "You exist here for years and years and years, you make friends and live here-- you eat and drink and sleep-- but you can't love anyone?" Sungjong tried not to show his agreement too outwardly, but Sungyeol made the most sense, "That's messed up. Reprimanded? Why?"

 

"I agree." Dongwoo said heavily, seeming very, very old suddenly. Like you could actually see how many years he'd lived (or been dead) through his eyes. Sungjong rarely felt so young around Dongwoo. "It doesn't make sense. I believe when there's opportunity, you should take it. What's more innocent that love? And why should you be denied just because you refuse heaven?"

 

Suddenly Sungjong wasn't sure who Dongwoo was trying to persuade with this conviction-- his tone was so insistent that Sungjong felt restless, unable to figure out if Dongwoo knew about him or not. Hoya though, he finally noticed, was breathing shallowly and Dongwoo looked at him steadily. Something heavy settled over them when Dongwoo finally said, "If we've denied heaven, then why shouldn't we live our afterlives like we're really alive? What exactly is wrong about that?"

 

Sungjong felt like he was missing something between their glances, but he agreed, feeling a little better. Dongwoo hadn't actually said it was okay though, just that he thought the ideas about reapers and their afterlives were uninspired. He didn't feel very relieved.

 

Eventually Sungyeol said, "Well."

 

Hoya stood up forcefully and left, but for some reason it felt like retreat. When Dongwoo left after him, Sungjong found himself feeling like he had all the clues, but he just wasn't connecting them yet.

 

Sunggyu came in just a second after they'd both left; he looked flushed from a brisk walk, just like any living person would. "Where are they going?"

 

Preoccupying himself with the change drawer, Sungyeol changed the subject, "Where are you coming from?" and before Sunggyu's stubborn soldier deflection techniques kicked in he guessed, "Woohyun's house?" Because, almost a complete mirror of the deflection was the urge to tell the truth to his teammates. It didn't always work, but the way Sunggyu busied himself with peeling off his layers of clothes told them the truth anyway.

 

"My life is run by emotionally constipated reapers." Sungyeol sighed.

 

Ugh I don't actually want to keep breaking this down, but I have realized I'm not a cool enough cat to put this up in true not!fic form. It doesn't look clever it just looks like douchebaggery. Cryin 5 evr. On the upside Essie finally spit out a Sungyeol description. She works so hard for me and all I do is eat her food and cry about pretty bbs at her.