"I like you"

Between Heaven and Earth

 

Woobin stared into the eyes of the younger boy. What’s going on? He asked himself while Jongsuk still ruffled his hair gently.

“Are you okay?” the smaller one asked.

“Uh” Woobin mumbled quietly. He wasn’t sure if he still had a voice after he didn’t use it for years.

“You look quite shocked. Did I surprise you?”

“Uh…”

“Aigo…so cute” Jongsuk ruffled the taller one’s hair once again. “I had never a fan, who’d followed me around. On top of that you are a guy and probably older than me.”

The singer was chuckling happily. Woobin on the other hand was still confused and didn’t really pay attention to the younger one. Jongsuk noticed that once again and pouted. “I didn’t want to make you embarrassed or something…sorry. I have to go now, though. It’s late.” He bowed his head and smiled cheerfully. “See you again.”

With these words Jongsuk turned around and left Woobin behind. Woobin sighed. He couldn’t waste time thinking about what just happened, he had to keep track of that bright one. It was the first time that he had to hide while following someone. It felt strange. A glance to the other people passing by, they didn’t seem to be able to see him. Still unable to settle down, Woobin secretly followed the younger one to his house. This situation wasn’t good. He couldn’t go inside the house this time. How should he take care of him like that? The gatherer figured he had to make him trust him so he would let him stay by his side without being suspicious. Another sigh left his lips as he leaned against the cold walls of the house, staying as close as possible. Woobin ran his fingers through his hair and closed his eyes, still feeling the younger one’s touch.

Jongsuk slipped off his shoes and the lights. He didn’t really like his home. It was a lonely messy place, which was partly his fault though. After work he was too lazy to tidy up and when he wasn’t at work, he preferred writing a new song or talking walks. However, there was no one to care about that anyway. The man sat down in front of the television and grabbed a sofa cushion to nestle down in it. He thought about that male fan from earlier. Was he really a fan or did he just misunderstand him? He wasn’t really enthusiastic either. Judging from his expression he didn’t really know what the singer talked about. Jongsuk sighed and groaned in embarrassment afterwards. He must’ve startled that guy with his behavior, acting as if he was overly conceited. In fact he wasn’t. Jongsuk barely managed to realize the fact that someone actually let him work as a singer. When he thought he got a fan, he was just really happy and wanted to be nice to him. Instead he made a fool of himself. The young man lay down on the sofa, decided to spend the night there.

Jongsuk rose with the sun this morning. The sofa wasn’t really comfortable and he regretted sleeping there. He stretched, walked into the kitchen and got a half empty bottle of milk out of the fridge. He took a sip, wasn’t sure if the milk wasn’t half adulterated already. Jongsuk rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and decided to take a shower first. So he did. Afterwards he got ready to go out, because needed to buy groceries. The young man got out of the house, took a deep breath and smiled. Nice weather.

Woobin got up immediately as he saw Jongsuk leaving the house after thinking about the incident the whole night. Still unable to understand what was going on he followed him once again. He wondered if the boy was still able to see him and if he was, how he should approach him. There was no way he could just follow him around. So, the gatherer decided to act as a human. First of all, he had to meet him “by pure chance” again. Not knowing if he should like or hate the situation, Woobin sighed heavily. Nevertheless, it was going to be a difficult task this time.

Meanwhile Jongsuk shoved his hands into his pockets and began singing quietly while he ambled though the street. He was in a good mood, enjoyed the fresh air and the cold breeze. He didn’t even notice that his keys felt out of his pocket, but Woobin did. However, it was prohibited to touch humans’ belongings. Gatherers weren’t able to touch humans, but if they wanted to they could touch objects. It wasn’t allowed though and if someone did his time as a gatherer was expanded, if he wouldn’t stop he was even sent to hell. God hated this rule, but he obediently followed it to protect the human beings. There were only a few who broke this rule anyway. But now the situation was totally different. This man was able to see Woobin and in order to protect his soul he had to stay close to him. Jongsuk shouldn’t find out about his real existence either, nor should he be scared because someone followed him all the time. If the gatherer was to act as a human, he had to behave like one, too. He gulped heavily. Woobin couldn’t just pick the keys up. The people would see a flying key…so he slid the keys slowly with his foot to a wall near a side street and looked at Jongsuk. He hesitantly cried for the carefree boy. “Yah, brown-haired boy!” Woobin own voice was unfamiliar to him. Jongsuk knitted his brows. Is he calling me? He turned around and looked surprised. That man he saw yesterday. Woobin beckoned him over, waiting for him, leaning against the wall. Curiously Jongsuk approached the taller one. As he was close enough Woobin picked up the keys, Jongsuk was blocking the sight of other people now, so there wouldn’t be a problem with that. “You lost your keys” he mumbled afterwards.

“Ahhh!” Jongsuk eyes widened. “I’m so clumsy…thank you”

He rubbed the back of his head feeling quite embarrassed. On the other hand Woobin felt weird again, having someone answering him, looking at him. He wondered if he should try touching him. Before he could think any further Jongsuk just grabbed his keys, touching Woobin’s hand with his fingertips slightly. Still not used to it, Woobin immediately pulled away his hand, startling the younger one. He looked at him slightly pouting in confusion.

“Ah…sorry” Woobin managed to utter.

“It’s alright, I must’ve startled you, too.”

Jongsuk smiled brightly, actually finding the taller one quite cute. But then he remembered how embarrassing he had behaved yesterday and blushed a little. “I’m sorry about yesterday …” he said looking the other way. Woobin glanced at him, noticing the people passing by gave Jongsuk a weird look. Of course, they couldn’t see the gatherer and must’ve thought Jongsuk talked to himself. He hissed quietly and grabbed the younger boy’s wrist, pulling him deeper into the side street. Jongsuk let the man do as he pleased, because he was too surprised to react. Aish, how should I explain that? Woobin suddenly thought. The younger one tilted his head and knitted his brows. Of course he was a little suspicious of this stranger. The gatherer felt uncomfortable, wasn’t used to deal with humans anymore. He couldn’t wait much longer. The situation grew more awkward every second. He panicked inside, but hid his feelings well, trying to find a good explanation, furthermore he needed a solution for the whole situation he had to deal with. Slowly letting go of his wrist, Woobin looked into his eyes and said with a deep voice “I like you”, making the younger boy blush even more, dumbfounded him.