Chapter One: Search and Rescue

Brothers: Blood is Thicker

 

"Melanie what the ?!?"

I felt arms on me, shaking me awake from my nightmare. When my eyes opened, Electra stood above me with a confused expression on her face, her wavy brown hair falling over.

"What?" I asked.

"You tell me, , you're the one hollering." Electra talked in the most elegant vocabulary in these types of situations.

"I just had a nightmare," I mumbled.

"Well...we're going to leave soon. Are you sure you're up for this? If not I'm sure TOP-"

"I'm ready!" I yelled, jumping up from the bed. "Electra, please. I'm already twenty and I've trained. I can help!" I begged. Electra still eyed me but eventually smiled.

"You're lucky this is just a search mission and not a fight with some drones-" My arms cut her off when I leaped on her and wrapped them around her neck.

"Thank you!" She laughed again and pushed me off.

"I remember when I wanted to join the squad, it was just TOP then." She went back to packing her clothes in her suitcase. "Besides, it'll be nice having another girl on the squad since Helen refuses."

"What about Reimy?" I teased, dropping my own suitcase on my bed. Electra let out a sarcastic laugh this time.

"It doesn't matter if Reimy likes , he still has one. He is a man." She looked at the door when someone knocked on it and looked at her watch. "Speak of the devil." I walked across the room and opened the door, Reimy and TOP standing on the other side with their suitcases. TOP was in a black turtle neck and gray khakis while Reimy wore a blue v-neck and a pair of torn jeans.

"You two need to hurry, the plane leaves in...an hour." TOP warned, glancing at his watch.

"Yeah, and it's a zone plane," Reimy added. Electra and I froze in our spots.

"A ing zone plane?!?" Electra yelled, both of us looking at each other with wide eyes. We ran to the rest of our clothes and shoved them into our suitcases as fast as we could.

 

Forty minutes later, we arrived at a isolated location, the perfect place for a zone plane airport. When the Dark Age started, one of the first things to change was air travel. A zone plane was basically a plane that was mechanically run and could travel around the entire world in less than eight seconds. It was made for those who were on the run and needed quick getaways. That's why we were here. When TOP was younger his brother ran off because drones were on his trail. Nearly twenty years later he got a tip from Daesung about civilians taking zone planes under fake names. TOP knew for sure it was his brother, his brother's wife, and their two children. TOP wanted us to stay undercover until we were positive it was them.

"Remember," He said under his breath as we passed through security. "Keep your cool. Especially you, Melanie." I looked into his eyes and nodded before zipping up my leather jacket, I was ready for anything. I turned around and scanned the area, hoping to spot Electra but knowing she was somewhere else in her disguise. Once we boarded the plane, Reimy slipped his arm through mine.

"We're supposed to be a couple, remember?" He whispered, his smile hinting his joke.

"TOP nailed the spot with us, we even have the same taste in men." We laughed and walked across the aisle to take our seats. The plane was full, my eyes rested on a guy with blonde wavy hair in a brown trench coat. When we caught each other's glances he slipped on his glasses and turned away. Weird. We made it to our seats, which were out the far left side of the plane. Reimy didn't like the window seat so I gladly took it. Once we were settled in I glanced around the plane again. "Can you see who we're looking for?"

"Nope, but it's not our job to find them. We're just here in case anything goes wrong." Reimy explained.

"Would any of you like some beverages this morning?" the flight attendant asked.

"No, thank- Oh my god!" I shouted once I turned to look at the girl. It was Electra, with her hair nicely combed in a bun, a nice skirt, and pink lipstick. Pink. Lipstick.

"Wow you really are a girl," Reimy teased.

"Say another ing word and I'll make you one two," she warned, giving the two of us drinks. "TOP thinks he found them, but he's not sure yet."

"Can't he recognize his own brother?" Reimy asked.

"That's the thing, he hasn't seen Woojong or Minrae. He's only spotted these guys that might be their kids."

"Might?" I asked. She gave me a look of annoyance.

"It's been twenty years since he last saw them, I'm pretty sure we'd all have a problem recognizing them."

"So what do we do now?" I asked.

"Just wait, I'm supposed to head over there and see if I can get a reaction from them."

"Good luck," Reimy whispered. Electra nodded then pushed the cart of drinks away. We relaxed for about ten minutes before the plane took off. We had about another three minutes before we reached our destination. I glanced up as another passenger made his way across the aisle. I froze in my seat. It was the same guy before with the trench coat, only this time he was in a suit and tie. I leaned into Reimy so I could whisper in his ear.

"Do you see that guy over there?" I asked in a hushed tone. Reimy's eyes flickered to the man and then he nodded. "I saw him when we boarded the plane and he was wearing a trench coat."

"What?!?" Reimy whispered loudly. "I saw him wearing jeans and a red sweater!" We looked back at the man who returned to his seat. Reimy's breathing got harder as he was trying to think. Finally he pulled out his pistol and stood up.

"They're here!" he shouted, firing at the man in the suit. He quickly stood up and started firing his own weapon, causing Reimy to react fast and pull me down below the seat. Soon the sound of bullets could be heard from all over the plane. A bolt of electricity flew past our heads and soon TOP was by our side.

"The plane is full of drones! They're being lead by a Dark Celestrian!" he yelled over the firing in the background. "I have to save the boys, cover me!" We nodded and I pulled out my gun. When TOP took off I stood up and started shooting at the first drones I laid eyes on. They went down fast, but then I saw what we were up against. Every passenger was the guy with the curly blonde hair in a different outfit. The one in the suit and tie smiled at me before tossing a petite grenade in my direction. I dodged it, but the whole left side of the plane ripped apart. I gripped the chair tight to avoid falling out of the plane, but it started to inch toward the gaping whole.

"Reimy!" I cried out. Reimy whirled around and stretched out his hand.

"Grab it!" He begged, his fingertips barely touching mine.

"I can't-" The chair did a rough jerk and the next thing I knew I was falling out of the plane.

"Melanie!!!" Reimy screamed, his voice getting smaller as I continued to fall down.