Chapter 5

Andante
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, Tomorrow I'll miss you.” ― Paul McCartney

----------

 

“That’s it… Correct… Now to the next bar…” Luhan slowly told Sooyoung. She nodded and continued, “This is the difficult part! I never get this one right!” She told him.

“It’s because you keep on losing the beat at the beginning,” Luhan explained, “Just follow my rhythm and you’ll do just fine.”

Sooyoung nodded again, “Okay, let’s give it a try.”

Sooyoung tried hard to follow Luhan’s rhythm, yet she didn’t manage to get it right. Luhan groaned, “No, it’s not like that! You have to follow my rhythm! Listen to this!” He played the composition and explained, “You play it like this, remember, it’s a half note, and then continue by doing this, move to another bar, and you’ll get the beat right!”

“Okay, okay!”

“Let’s do it one more time.” Luhan said.

Sooyoung put a serious expression on her face and tried to play the composition correctly, but still, she didn’t get it right.

Luhan sighed heavily, “Are you seriously this dumb, Choi? I told you that it’s a half note yet you still played it as a full note! Can’t you read scores?”

“What did you call me?!” Sooyoung felt her blood boiled, “Dumb?! Hey, no need to call me names, Mister Piano Perfect Luhanney! Tchah!” She said angrily.

“It’s because you didn’t listen to what I was saying!” He raised his voice.

“I did!” Sooyoung widened her eyes in anger, “And no need to talk in such voice to me!”

“Next time, if you want to master this piece, listen exactly to what I was saying!”

“There will be no more next time!”

“We still have piano class together!”

They kept on arguing, didn’t realize that their voices were audible to people outside the classroom.

“No!” Sooyoung hollered, “I quit!”

“You can’t just quit like that!” Luhan raised his eyebrows.

Sooyoung laughed sarcastically, “Oh I totally can, Luhanney, I can do whatever… AHHH!” Suddenly the light went out.

“No need to scream, Choi!” Luhan warned her.

“But it’s too dark I can’t see a thing!” Sooyoung panicked.

Rain was still pouring heavily outside; Sooyoung shuddered. She never liked the darkness; add the heavy rain plus lightning to it. Unconsciously, she grabbed Luhan’s arm.

Luhan could sense that there was something wrong with Sooyoung.  “Are you okay?” He asked her.

She nodded but then another lightning struck and Sooyoung let out a muffled scream.

Luhan laughed, “Are you scared? I can’t believe that the almighty Choi Sooyoung is afraid of lightning!”

“Shut up!” She said angrily. Luhan saw that her eyes were glistening with tears and he stopped making fun of her immediately.

Another lightning struck and Sooyoung’s grasp on Luhan’s arm tightened. “When will this end?” She sobbed, “I wanna go home!”

Luhan was dumbfounded at what to do, thus he decided to calm her down. Taking her hand that was grasping his arm into his; he squeezed her hand a little and whispered awkwardly, “It’s going to be alright, Sooyoung. I… I-I’m here.”

Sooyoung wiped her tears with her free hand, while her other hand grasping his hand tightly. She moved closer to him until their shoulders met. Luhan smiled a little, carefully releasing their entwined hands and linked her hand with his arm again. He slowly reached for the piano and started to play a song. “I believe this might help.” He said to her.

Sooyoung was flabbergasted seeing his actions, “W…What…”

“Debussy,” Luhan answered her unfinished question, “This is Debussy’s Clair de Lune. This one is included in his Suite Bergamasque, one of his famous piano suites.”

Sooyoung’s mouth formed a small O, when Luhan continued, “This was first composed by him in… around 1890, but he published it in 1905.”

“Why… Why did he…” Sooyoung asked.

“We never know why he published it so late,” Luhan explained to her, diverting her attention away from the lightning and all those things she scared of, his hands were still skillfully playing the piece, “But what was told was, he revised this a few times before he published it.”

She stayed silent for a while, listening to Luhan’s play, “This piece is beautiful.” Sooyoung finally said.

“Yeah,” Luhan answered, shifting his head from the piano to face her, “This is one of his famous romantic piano compositions.”

Sooyoung nodded her head, “You have to teach me this piece!” She demanded.

Luhan chuckled, it seemed that she had forgotten all her fears, “I will. But you have to listen to me!”

“I told you I do listen to you,” Sooyoung snorted, “But Etudes’ last movement is very difficult!”

“No, it’s not,” Luhan said, rolling his eyes.

“Easy for you, because you are good in piano. Let me see you play viola once!”

“I bet viola is not as difficult as piano,” Luhan grinned.

Sooyoung elbowed him not so friendly in the ribs, “Then try playing it!”

“Ouch! Okay, tomorrow! But you have to teach me first.”

“O-kay!” She smiled triumphantly, “Then tomorrow it is!”

Luhan laughed a little. They stayed silent for a moment; Luhan was still playing the piece, when Sooyoung whispered, “Clair de Lune…”

“Do you know the meaning of it?” Luhan suddenly asked.

“Huh?” Sooyoung stared at him and he looked at her straight in the eyes,

“It means moonlight. Clair de Lune means moonlight.”

----------

 

“So how was last night, Sooyoungie?” Yuri grinned naughtily to her best friend on the other side of the table; they were having their lunch.

Sooyoung coughed, “How was what?”

“Last night,” Yuri grinned, “You and Luhanney were inside a classroom together, practicing piano when suddenly the lights went off and it was raining and… Oh, so… romantic!” Yuri squealed.

“Shut up, Yul,” Sooyoung threw her fried dumpling to Yuri; who caught it with her bare hand and s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter