Chapter 2

Andante
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent” ― Victor Hugo

----------

 

“What’s your schedule after this?” Yuri asked Sooyoung when they stepped out from Mr. Lee’s class. Sooyoung checked her wristwatch, “At 4 PM I have to meet Miss Kim in her office, you know, my Academic Advisor? She said she has something to say about the classes I’ve taken,” Sooyoung wrinkled her forehead, “Is it about my grades?”

Yuri sighed, “I have a clarinet class this evening. From 4 PM until 6 PM! 6 PM! This university is definitely intending to kill me!” She let out a fake cry, “Guess I’ll see you later, Soo?”

Sooyoung nodded and Yuri dashed to her next class. Sooyoung checked her mobile phone, “I still have 10 minutes to 4…” She mumbled. She decided to sit in front of Miss Kim’s office while waiting to the appointed time. She was busy playing some random games in her mobile phone when suddenly the door opened and a head popped out from inside, “Sooyoung? You’re already here?”

Sooyoung quickly stopped playing and smiled to her advisor, “Yes, Miss.”

“Why don’t you come in? I am here the whole time,” She laughed and ushered her to get in.

“So,” She said after both of them already seated, “I’ve got something to discuss with you about your classes.”

Sooyoung’s heart skipped a beat, does she know about me and Yuri gossiping about Miss Park?! She silently thought and worries spread all over her body.

Miss Kim laughed again, “No need to be that worried, Sooyoung. It’s nothing bad, actually.” Sooyoung put a questioning look on her face, “What’s wrong with the classes I’ve taken, Miss? Is it about the grades or…”

Miss Kim waved her hand, “No, no, it’s not like that… Well actually,” She cleared , “It somehow has something to do with your grades, but not in a bad way,” She smiled nicely.

When Sooyoung furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, Miss Kim started explaining, “You see, Sooyoung, I’ve seen your grades for the previous semester, and it was satisfying. You did well in classes, like theoretical classes, analysis classes, and viola classes too. What am I trying to say here is…” She stopped for a split second and continued, “It would be such a waste if such smart and talented girl like you just master a viola for musical instrument. I suggest you to take other classes that involve other musical instrument, like guitar, or clarinets, piano, or maybe other strings like cello or violin. Since the new semester is just started, if you want to take extra classes, it’s not too late. I can give you a recommendation for that.”

She smiled kindly, “I think that the experience of learning other musical instruments will broaden your knowledge in music itself. You’re a hardworking student, I know that, so why don’t you give it a try?”

Sooyoung thought for a moment, “Do you think I could learn other instruments well, Miss? Because… I played viola since I was a kid, and I know nothing about other instruments, well, other than strings.”

Miss Kim nodded and said softly, “Of course. Everyone can learn if they are willing to.”

Sooyoung stayed silent but her mind kept on running, her head drooped, playing other instruments? It does sound cool… And it will definitely look good in my CV if I want to join an orchestra in the future if I master several musical instruments other than strings…

Miss Kim waited for her answer patiently, “What do you think?”

Sooyoung raised her head and looked at her advisor, “Could you suggest me what instrument should I learn, Miss?”

“Well…” she rolled her pen in her fingers, “Could you play other strings instruments? Like contrabass or violin?”

Sooyoung nodded her head, “My mother was a string player in an orchestra when she was young, and she taught me everything about strings, Miss.”

“Hmm… Let me think…” She checked papers on her desk, “How about wind instruments? Like flutes, or clarinets, or…?”

Sooyoung shook her head slowly, “My lungs can’t handle wind instruments, Miss,” she smiled apologetically.

“Well… That left us with piano. What do you think?”

Piano? Sooyoung thought, piano is totally cool, not to mention the hottie Mr. Oh is one of the piano teachers here… if only I could get into his class… And I could play those beautiful concertos! Chopin, Duvernoy, Czerny, and… everything! She smiled excitedly.

“So, Sooyoung, what do you think?”

Sooyoung smiled at her advisor and nodded, “Piano would be great, Miss!”

Miss Kim chuckled, “Then I’ll sign you up for piano class, okay?” She checked on her computer, “What day will you be available for class?”

“I don’t have classes on Wednesday, Miss.”

“Wednesday… Let me see…” She clicked here and there, “Oh what about Wednesday at 4 PM? The piano class?”

Sooyoung nodded again, “Yes, I think that’s fine. May I know the lecturer, Miss?”

Miss Kim clicked a few times and smiled, “Done! You will have piano classes every Wednesday evening! Oh, the lecturer is Mr. Oh.”

Sooyoung held the grin from showing on her face, “Oh, I see…”

“Hope you’ll have a nice piano class, Sooyoung.” Miss Kim smiled again.

“Yes, Miss, thank you for your suggestion.” Oh I will definitely enjoy myself! With that, she excused herself from Miss Kim’s office.

----------

 

The next morning, Sooyoung was on her way to her class, Basic Viola II, when she heard someone was calling her, “Choi Sooyoung!”

She stopped and turned, she saw Kwon Yuri running toward her, her hair was all messy, “Wait… up…” She finally reached her and stopped, her hand on the side of her ribs, “Are you deaf or something?”

Sooyoung shrugged and continued to walk. “Yah! Choi Sooyoung!”

“What? Slowpoke.”

Yuri frowned but followed her nonetheless. They were heading to their locker when Yuri started, “So, Soo, I met this total

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter