Knowing about the debts - Prologue

MAID?!? (No way!) - Hiatus

A/N: This is a chapter I made because I needed time to gather my thoughts on the other story I have. Even though I said I won't be updating this story until I've finished with the other one, who cares. I don't follow what I write sometimes. For now, enjoy this chapter. Sorry for mistakes!

Please ignore the fact that the college Tao goes to is set out like a school. 


 

A black haired male woke up to the bright rays of light shining down on his bed. He squinted his eyes a couple of times in attempt to get used to the light. He yawned and moved his covers to the side, dangling his legs over the bed and sitting there. He rubbed his eyes some more before letting his bare feet touch the cold wooded floor. He shivered at the touch and rubbed his arms. It was in the middle of the chilly days if autumn. He stood up and strolled over to a closet. Opening it up, he grabbed the neatly folded school uniform and placed it opposite on the bed. He then went into the joined bathroom, took a quick shower and finished his usual daily morning routine of brushing his teeth. He came back out and undressed, putting on his uniform instead. After dressing, he checked through his Gucci bag once more, making sure everything he needed was there, before carrying his bag with him out the room and down the stairs.
 
"Sweetie, come and have you're breakfast!" A high pitched voice called out.
 
"I'm coming mum!" The male responded.
 
He sauntered down the stairs and went straight for the dining table near the kitchen. His dad sat at his usual place at the front of the desk.  He, too, sat at his usual spot and instantly a plate full of eyes, bacon and sausages were placed in front of him. He smiled at the mouth watering site. He gave his mother a large smile and a "Thank you" before diving straight into the food.
 
The male ate happily and missed the fact that the two adults were exchanging nervous and worried glances at each other. The male stopped and looked up to compliment, but  instead caught a glimpse of his parents exchange of glances. There was tension between them and the male frowned placing his cutlery down. 
 
"Mum. Dad. What's wrong?" He asked worried.
 
"Oh. Sweetie. What? Nothing's wrong," the mother snapped out her thoughts and answered the young male. "Go ahead and eat. Or do you want more?" 
 
"Mum. Don't lie to me. I know something's wrong." The male responded. "Just tell what it is."
 
The father cleared his throat. "Son, we have to tell you something." He motioned for his wife to sit down. She turned off the stove and sat in the chair opposite of the black haired male. 
 
Everything suddenly became serious. The father with a serious and stern look and the mother with an uneasy expression, one that often involved her fidgeting in her spot. Then there was the child, his heartbeat sped faster and faster as he waited for his father to give him an answer. He got scared as the minutes went by until his father spoke a word. 
 
"ZiTao, your father, me, has failed to operate the business correctly and it is now in debt." The father stated. The black haired boy widened his eyes in shock. 'No way! This can't real!'
 
"A-Are you playing a joke with me?" Tao stuttered. 
 
"No, ZiTao. We're not." The father said in absolute seriousness, no hint of 'joking' could be seen on his face. Tao leaned back in his chair and let out a heavy breath. 'It is real. This is real. My family's really in debt.'
 
"Tao, honey. I know that you weren't expecting any if this, me neither, but it is happening." The mother said.  "Just trust us. We can get through this together."
 
Tao glanced back at his parents. "How much are we in debt?" 
 
"1-1-1 m-mil-"
 
"One million KRW." The father finished off for his wife.
 
Tao's eyes grew. "Oh my god." Tao muttered.
 
"I'm sorry, dear." The mother apologised but the young male shook his head. "It's not your fault."
 
"I'm sorry, ZiTao." The father stated. Tao smiled softly and shook his head.
 
They sat in silence for a while before Tao himself broke it. "I think I better quit college and help you guys out." Tao suggested.
 
The parents panicked at the young male's suggestion. "No!" They both screamed.
 
"No matter what you are not quitting college!" The father ordered.
 
"We will get through this, dear. Don't ever think about quitting college. We will never allow it!" The mother chipped in.
 
"But-"
 
"No 'buts'! You are staying in college! That's what we have been working so hard for. For you to have education!" The father screamed.
 
Tao looked at his parents in defeat and nodded. "I'll stay in college."
 
The parents relaxed their features and smiled at their child. "Are you sure-" 
 
"Yes!" They said in unison.
 
~~~~~
 
Tao arrived at the college gate with  10 minutes to spare before the bell rung and simply walked over to his seat, the morning's scene still etched in hid mind. He slumped his head on his desk and closed his eyes, resting for a bit.
 
The bell's loud tone awoke Tao and he stared groggily at the door when the teacher, Ms Song, walked through. He rubbed his eyes and got his books out from his bag, ready for Today's lesson.
 
"Okay guys, before I start the lesson, I'll be handing back the half yearly exams that you guys have done." Ms Song stated. Some students cheered while some frowned at the thought of receiving their marks. Ms Song was the teacher for Mathematics and she a pretty great teacher - kind, pretty, gentle, caring and smart. She is greatly loved by students and teachers, gathering a lot of envy everywhere as well. 
 
"Tao. Huang ZiTao. Huang ZiTao!" Ms Song demanded. "Stop day dreaming and come up here to get your exam." 
 
Tao snapped out of his thoughts and got out of his seat, walking towards the front of the classroom. 
 
"Congratulations Tao! You came first again." Ms Song happily said with a smile on her face. 
 
Tao looked down at the paper in his hand and saw a score of 50 out of 50. 'Full marks! Yes!' Tao smiled at the score and looked up at Ms Song returning the equally bright smile.
 
"Now go back to your seat." Tao bowed and walked back over to his seat, pulling the chair out and sitting down. 
 
He felt a tap on his shoulder once he sat down. He twisted his head backwards and saw his petite best friend staring at him with expectant eyes. "What did you get?" He said in a teasing tone.
 
"What do you think?" Tao replied with the same amount of tease in his tone. Tao grabbed his sheet and shoved it right in front of his friend's face. "Full marks! Hell yeah baby!" Tao exclaimed.
 
"Hmph. Nerd." The petite male sat back in his seat.
 
"Oh come on, Baekkie hyung. You didn't do that bad, right?"
 
"I lost a mark from silly mistakes. I hate myself. Arghh!" The male rested his head on the desk.
 
"Look on the bright side, there's always next time." Tao comforted.
 
"Yeah, yeah. You always say that."
 
"Come on, Baekhyun hyung. It's deep from within my heart. I mean it."
 
"Fine! Next time, I'll seriously kicking you're !" Baekhyun stated with arrogance.
 
"We'll see." Tao replied haughtily. He then turned around focusing on Today's lesson. Tao smiled throughout the lesson, but truthfully, he forced the smiles. His mind flickered back to the information he recently learnt in the morning, worry once again claiming his features and thoughts.
 
The bell struck again and by this time, it rang for home. Tao gathered all his work and stuffed it in his bag. He got up and slung the bag over his shoulder, walking out of the classroom casually missing someone calling his name.
 
"Tao! Tao! Wait!" The voice called out. "Huang ZiTao! You stop right there!" The voice commanded.
 
Tao turned around to meet none other than cute petite Baekhyun with a glare. He cocked his head to the side innocently as he examined the male's expression. "What?"
 
"You forgot about me," Baekhyun stomped up to Tao. "We're supposed to walk together." The male complained.
 
"Oh sorry. I was thinking." Tao replied. "Umm...Baekhyun hyung can you walk home with someone else this time? I want to explore the shops for a while." 
 
Baekhyun perked his eyebrows in confusion. "But you always walk with me."
 
"I know but I want to wander around for a while and besides, don't you want to hang out with Chan-" Baekhyun quickly covered Tao's mouth while blushing but at the same time glaring at younger. 
 
Tao removed the hand after some difficulty. "Well, don't you? He's you're crush, isn't he?" 
 
"Don't say it out loud! I told you it was a secret." Tao nodded absentmindedly. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say. A secret."
 
Tao looked up to see the tall male swarmed by girls walking in their direction. "Oh hey! His coming this way." Baekhyun shot his head up, still blushing, and twisted his head around in the smallest motion ever to catch a glimpse of the handsome male. He squinted his eyes for better vision of the male and a smile crept on his face that he could not stop.
 
When Tao and Chanyeol made eye contact, they waved and Chanyeol approached them. But before Chanyeol could reach them, Tao blurted out, "Hey Chanyeol! Baekhyun hyung wants to say something to you."
 
Tao smiled down at the smaller male as he widened his eyes and his face flushed with a pink colour. Tao then stepped back and turned around, running towards the gates. "See ya guys! I have work I have to do! Have fun!" Tao screamed, not even sparing a second to glance back. 
 
Leaving Baekhyun behind with Chanyeol was a bad idea as the smaller male has blushed to the tips of hus ears. 
 
~~~~~
 
Tao casually strolled the streets as he went in many stores, looking for those specifically with a notice that says 'Employees needed'. But with everyone he entered, he didn't make it. 
 
Tao stopped as he saw a cute and cosy cafe that spells 'EXO'. He cocked his head. 'I've never seen this before. Must be new.' He walked up to its clear window to look into its interior but a attachment caught his eye. The same thing for all his search, a offer for being an employee. Tao scanned throughly before shrugging. 'Why not? I've went through the other five stores, this is no different.' He walked to the door and pushed it open making a jingly sound with the bell. Tao put on a smile as he advanced forward.
 
"Excuse me? Is anybody there?" Tao asked cautiously. "Hello? Anyone?" Tao turned around looking at the cafe's interior and liked it a lot. Cute round tables with elegantly shaped chairs decorated the floors. On the wall, many artistic and graceful paintings laced them. 
 
Tao has already taken interest in this cafe and he hoped greatly that he could work here. 
 
"Oh hello there. How may I help you?" A gentle voice asked. 
 
"Hello. I came here to apply for the job pasted on the window." Tao bowed after finishing. 
 
"Oh but I'm sorry, we have a rule that we cannot employ students." 
 
"But I'll work very hard. I'll do my best, just give me the chance to prove it." 
 
But the male standing opposite Tao shook his head. "I'm sorry. Rules are rules. Can't break them."
 
"Really? Can't you bend them a tiny bit?" Tao indicated using his fingers, squeezing his thumb and index finger together. "Please, just a tiny bit just this once."
 
The male shook his head again and looked at Tao. "I'm sorry."
 
Tao looked defeated and he pouted. "Okay. Thanks for sparing your time. Bye." Tao dragged himself across the floor towards the door. 
 
"Henry. Who were you talking to?" A male with red hair, gentle eyes and gentle voice asked as he emerged from behind the staff's storage.
 
"Oh. Someone came and asked for the job but I rejected him. Well, not exactly me, but your rules." Henry answered.
 
"Is there a problem with my rules?" The red haired male questioned.
 
"No. None at all." Henry replied. "But can't you lessen it sometimes, the rule of not allowing high school students to work here?" 
 
"No." The male replied.
 
"Why not?" 
 
"It's a rule passes down by generation and it's a custom I have to follow." 
 
"Yeah. I know that but is there anything else?" 
 
"Why do you want to know?"
 
"Nothing just curious." Henry stated. 
 
"I don't have another reason."
 
"Really now?"
 
"Really."
 
"Anyways, do think about my suggestion to lessen on that rule. It will help the business and you, Suho."
 
"Just get back to helping me set the tables and quit chattering."
 
"Yes, sir."
 
The red haired male looked out into the streets through the window, staring vacantly at the lonely and tranquil street. "How are you doing, my love?'
 
~~~~~
 
As Tao was dejectedly walking down the empty street, he bumped into a haired male looking similar to a dinosaur. "I'm sorry."
 
"No. I'm sorry. Aimlessly walking around and bumping into people." The  dino looking guy apologised.
 
When he looked up, Tao smiled. "It's fine. I'm not hurt or anything. I got to go. See you."
 
Tao set off to find another available job. "Now where can I find another job?" Tao muttered softly but loud enough for the dino looking guy to hear. 
 
"Hey!" The dino looking guy called out. Tao turned around and titled his head to the side. "Yes? Were you talking to me?"
 
"Yes!" The dino looking guy walked up to Tao. "I overheard you need a job and I happen to have one available spot."
 
"Oh? Really? What is it? How much do I get paid?" Tao's interest rose as he asked more questions.
 
"It's a cleaning job up near the mansion all the way over there," he pointed in faraway direction, "and the pays pretty neat, 800 KRW for an hour."
 
Tao widen his eyes. 'Is that possible?' Tao frowned in as he thought about the offer. 
 
"Why should I trust you?" Tao asked.
 
"I work there as well and what's the use of lying to a high school student. It's a magnificent job and I seriously need someone to fill in the place of a mai-cleaner who quit last month. It gets busy easily. Please help me." The dino looking guy pleaded, hoping the other did not pick up on his mistake.
 
Tao bit his lip. 'It's pretty good pay and I need the money. This guy doesn't seem like the type to lie. Hmm....why not? I can always quit if I don't like it.'
 
Tao nodded. "Okay sure. I accept the job."
 
"Thank you. Thank you so much." The guy leaped onto Tao, squeezing him in a hug. "Oh my name's Jonghyun by the way. Nice to meet you." He took Tao's hand and shook it.
 
"I'm ZiTao. But Tao is fine."
 
They both smiled at each other but with different intentions. Jonghyun at the fact he found someone to replce the missing spot and Tao at the fact he found a job with quite a neat pay.
 
"Oh look at the time. It's getting late. Let's exchange numbers and I'll tell you everything about the job later on the day you start working which is tomorrow." 
 
"Woah. That fast?"
 
"Yep. We work in high and quick standards." Tao nodded and proceeded to exchange numbers with Jonghyun.
 
"Okay see you tomorrow." Jonghyun bid goodbye.
 
"You too. Bye." Tao replied as Jonghyun's figure slowly disappeared from sight. 
 
'Yes! I did it! I found a job. Now, mum and dad won't have to work so hard to pay off the debt. I'm one hell of a son! Yeah!'