Chapter 5: Fighting and Caring

Everything In Between

 

 

Everything In Between
Chapter 5: Fighting and Caring
 
 

 

 

Everyone’s first boyfriend or girlfriend is usually found in high school. JongIn was no different. Winter of their second year in high school, JongIn met Krystal. Spring of their second year in high school, JongIn and Krystal became an official couple. HwaYoung, though, stayed on the side lines, watching her best friend be so chummy with his girlfriend. Oh, she hated it.

And she hated Krystal. Krystal also admits the feeling was mutual. JongIn, unfortunately, was oblivious to this matter and why HwaYoung was avoiding him and being all snappy at him. Being the stubborn guy he was, he finally cornered HwaYoung to keep her from escaping.

“What the hell is going on?” JongIn snarled as HwaYoung kept avoiding his stare.

“Nothing. Everything’s completely perfect, Kim JongIn.” Obviously, things weren’t fine at all as HwaYoung glared at JongIn, sarcasm dripping from her every word. And this did not make JongIn the slightest bit happy.

“HwaYoung, I am trying to ask you something civilly. What the heck is going on?” JongIn asks again

“I said it’s nothing.” HwaYoung replies again.

“Hwayoung, what the is up with you these days?!” JongIn asks another time. This time shouting at her and slamming his hand down the desk between them. HwaYoung barely flinches but her eyes showed how scared she was. JongIn notices too late cause when he tries to speak again in a lower voice, HwaYoung had already gotten up and was already striding over to the classroom’s door.

“Figure it out yourself, prince charming.” HwaYoung states as she slams the door behind her. JongIn, left behind in the classroom, growls in frustration and kicks a chair on his way out to look for her.

‘What the hell was I thinking?! HwaYoung doesn’t like being interrogated or shouted at.’ JongIn thinks as he weaves through the crowd of students in the hallway, trying to figure out where the girl had gone. That’s when he bumps into, none other than his girlfriend, Krystal.

“Oppa, where are you going?” Krystal innocently asks as she hooks her arm through JongIn’s.

“I can’t talk right now, Krystal. I have to go find HwaYoung.” JongIn carefully shrugs off Krystal’s arm and tries to get away but Krystal holds him back.

“You’re looking for that girl again? Oppa, seriously, if you weren’t dating me, I would think you like her more than me.” Krystal haughtily states. JongIn sighs and turns towards her, biting his lip lightly.

“Maybe I do.” And with that, JongIn sprints off to find HwaYoung, leaving Krystal in the middle of the hallway, stunned and annoyed.

Meanwhile, at the rooftop, HwaYoung had busied herself with studying in hopes of forgetting what had happened earlier. Unfortunately, it just kept flashing in her head.

“Stupid JongIn with his stupid girlfriend and this stupid relationship and my stupid heart that hurts so much.” HwaYoung recites as she wipes her tears with the sleeve of her uniform, casually sniffing every now and then.

‘Why am I feeling this way anyway? It’s not like JongIn and I were in a serious relationship. Heck! The only relationship we have is a platonic one!’ HwaYoung scowls and hugs her knees to her chest, leaning her chin on her arms securely.

‘But I really don’t think Krystal is the one for JongIn. JongIn’s girlfriend should be the one that understands him the most, makes him happy the most and really cares for him the most. His girlfriend should almost be like his best friend.’ Realizing how close her description of JongIn’s-should-be-girlfriend to herself, HwaYoung flushes red again and hides her face in her arms, letting her hair form a curtain around her.

‘I just want him happy. I want us happy.’ HwaYoung confesses in her mind as she sighs. Suddenly, the door to the rooftop is slammed open and HwaYoung tries to pick up any clues to whom it could be. HwaYoung was sitting at the opposite side of the rooftop, therefore, no one would find her there unless they walk around the whole rooftop. But this also meant that she couldn’t see who came in.

HwaYoung listened closely to the soft footsteps and the heavy breathing of the person. He/She hasn’t spoken yet and HwaYoung was getting kind of antsy. Finally she hears the person swear. And it’s a guy. And that voice sounds all too familiar for her. And it was Kim JongIn.

“Damn it, HwaYoung, where did you run off to?” JongIn swears under his breath. HwaYoung squeeks and it was enough to catch JongIn’s attention. Slowly, he makes his way to the back side of the rooftop. HwaYoung tries to find a way to escape but she can’t so instead she speaks.

“D-don’t come any closer.” She says wearily, trying to sound fine although she knows it’s futile. But JongIn stops anyway, just a few feet away from where HwaYoung was sitting though he still couldn’t see her.

“HwaYoung…” JongIn softly calls out. HwaYoung bites her lower lip and tries not to completely give into JongIn’s call.

“Please stay away.” HwaYoung replies as she hides her face in her arms again. JongIn clicks his tongue but doesn’t move.

“HwaYoung, hear me out.”

“No. I’ve had enough of everything, JongIn. Do whatever you like.” HwaYoung’s words pierced through JongIn and JongIn just stands there, frozen. For a moment, they’re both quiet; JongIn looking for words to say and HwaYoung praying him to go away.

“I’ve also had enough of everything, HwaYoung. I’ve had enough of you avoiding me and making me feel so lonely. I’ve had enough of you snapping at me when I try to talk to you and causing me to think I did something stupid again. But, most of all HwaYoung, I’ve had enough of all this fighting.” JongIn says as he walks towards HwaYoung and kneels in front of her. HwaYoung, surprised, had lifted her head up and is now staring back at JongIn.

“I’ve had enough of not having you by my side.” JongIn continues as he tucks that one lock of hair behind HwaYoung’s ear again. JongIn uncertainly tries to smile at her but HwaYoung simply breaks down crying.

“I-I’m sorry, JongIn. It’s j-just that I was s-selfish and-and” JongIn takes HwaYoung into a hug and comfortingly, pats her head, burrowing his face into her hair.

“Shush now. There’s nothing to be sorry about. It was my fault for leaving you behind.” JongIn consoles as HwaYoung continues to cry.

The next day, JongIn breaks up with Krystal and admits to everyone who watched that he cared a lot more for his best friend than his girl friend. Krystal simply seemed pissed and walked out. Back at the rooftop, JongIn told HwaYoung everything that happened since she had classes at that time. JongIn, with his head on HwaYoung’s lap once again, stares up at the girl.

“HwaYoung?”

“Yes?”

“I really meant it. I cared more for you than Krystal.”

 


 
 
Author's Note:
ah longest chapter i worked on ohohoho so much fluff eh? idk i feel like these two act more than just friends ugh just get together already omfg