05

The Silver Lining

 

   Jieun got off the ferris wheel. Her heart felt as it was torn, and it couldn't be mended again. It was even hard for her to walk proprly. It felt as she had been shot right in the heart and she had a few moments before she would die. Her heart was like a scrumpled paper. If you straighten it out, it won't be the same ever again.

 

   She didn't even want to look back.

 

"How could she do this to me.." Jieun mouthed as walked slowly, like it was her last breach of life.  You couldn't possibly understand what she was going through unless you had experience it yourself.

 

"I thought she was my friend..  I guess.. I'm just not it.." Jieun said quietly as she walked back to her dorm, fallen in the hole of First love's pain..

 


 

--NEXT MORNING--

 

   Jieun's alarm rang, as it woke every girl in the room. She switched it off and claimed the bathroom before anyone else. From that day, she felt as she didn't have a friend in the world. Suzy seemed like her worst enemy. Was that why Suzy was getting so close with SooJin? Was she trying to ditch Jieun so she would get the boy and her friends?

 

   Jieun the tap, as the cold water ran out of the tap. She tied her hair and began washing her face, trying to suppress her swollen eyes. Jieun had been staying up since 3AM bawling her eyes out, she got no sleep at all, because SooJin and Suzy were up at 4AM, inviting all the other girls over for a game of spin the bottle.

 

   "Morning!" Suzy skipped inside the bathroom, turning to the sink next to Jieun's. Suzy waited for a response but Jieun ignored her. "How's Dorm life? Good?" SHe asked again, turning on the tap.

  Jieun slammed the tap and stopped the water, glaring at Suzy like she had a real problem. She did.

 

"Why would you care? You never really cared in the first place.." Jieun's glare penetrated Suzy's head as she diverted back to the sink, this time wiping her face with a towel. She took out her eyeliner stick and began doing her eye make up, ignoring Suzy completely.

 

"What's wrong with you Jieun? Why are you being like this?" Suzy asked, tears starting to brim up her eyes.

 

Jieun snorted. "Me? What's wrong with me?" Jieun was ridiculed. How Could Suzy put it that way? "Don't you think that's what i should be asking you?"

 

"What do you mean..?"

 

"You being so close with SooJin. Why are you acting like you're the top of the world? You know everyone sees SooJin as a pathetic loser with a pretty face. Soon they're going to think you're just hungry for attention."

 

"Why, Do you feel left out? Lee Jieun. Were you fine with just me as a friend? Well i wasn't. it was really hard for me to be with you, Just you. Everyone always spread rumours about me being the Antisocial loser's sidekick. It was really hard for me. I need more friends. But when a perfect group of friends came upto me asking about Baekhyun and me, I liked it. I wanted new friends."

 

"Was i that lacking..?"

 

"Look. It's too early to be dealing with this crap anyway." Suzy glanced at the bathroom clock. "It's only 7:30AM. I'm going to be sitting with SooJin's group from now, so you.." Suzy paused. "You can do whatever you want, eating in the toilet cubicles or something."

 Suzy remarked sarcastically as she exited the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. Jieun couldn't believe her eyes. Maybe it was morning and her sanity wasn't with her early in the morning, but was that really the Suzy she knew? Jieun glanced in the mirror, seeing a reflection of herself.

 

 Why did this girl in the mirror seem so pitiful?

 


 

    --Vocal Practice Class--

 

  Suzy took a seat at the back of the classroom, next to Baekhyun. Suzy didn't find Jieun anywhere, assumin she had skipped this period trying to avoid Baekhyun and herself. 'What are you looking for?" Baekhyun asked, looking around with Suzy.

"Oh nothing.. Just Jieun.."

 

"Lee Jieun? That girl.. She sure is one funny little fella i've seen.." Baekhyun raised his eyebrows.

 

"W..what?" Suzy asked seriously, worried for a second that Baekhyun actually had something to do with her.

 

"The other day, that day when you couldn't come because you were at your lesson, i kinda rejected her because she wasn't really my type, and then she was like stalking me when i was walking back home and then she fell all on her own bleeding like crazy and then she started calling me mean and wsaying i was too much or something."

 

  Suzy stayed silent. She felt a ting of guilt in her heart, because She knw how much Jieun liked him yet it was so easy for Suzy to get him. But she really liked Baekhyun too, and sometimes love was important than friendship to her.

 

  'Yeah.. She's been having this obsession towards you since middle school or something.. She complains every single day and she used to get so hyper when she sees you across the room.."

Suzy felt bad. Really bad. She couldb't believe she was badmouthing her friend.

 

"There are lots of crazy women on this earth today, after all." Baekhyun raised his right eyebrow, watching the front of the classroom as the teacher began the lesson. But the teacher seemed inaudible to Suzy, because the only thing on her mind was the guilt of betraying Jieun like that. Suzy wasn't entirely dumb. She had some extent to what it felt like when you were betrayed like that, but this time she wanted to have a change, do something for herself.

 

   Now that she put it that way, she sounded like a very selfish person.

 

She lived her entire life always gettin close to people only to betray them in the end to get what she always wanted, yet she has always put herself as a selfless girl always wanting to help others. And Jieun was one of her victims.

 

 

   'Sorry im late..!" Jieun rushed inside the class whispring to the teacher. She took a seat at the back corner, the opposite row towards Baekhyun and Suzy. the two glared at her before participating in class again.

 

  "Emotion. Today's Topic." The teacher slammed her hand on the board with the big chalked writing on the blackboard.

 

"Son Dambi." The teacher mentioned as some of the boy students went crazy. 'Sure she's hot, honey thighs. But when she releases her singles like dripping tears, you just don't see any emotion in any of her singing. That's why she's one of the most wanted singers from Netizens to get a good beating from. Baek JiYoung. " The teacher paused as she walked around the classroom. "As you know she graduated from this very Kirin arts school. She wasn't the brightest student no. She would always fail her composition paper but," SHe paused again. "for her ATAR, she got 99.9%. How? Emotion." She returned back to the blackboard.

 

   "Everyone close your eyes. Imagine," everyone closed their eyes. "There was the girl or the boy of your dreams. Beautiful, intellegent, funny, kind. She meant the world to you and you couldn't live without another moment with her. But. She got into a horrible accident. all her limbs were torn apart from a carcrash. She left you, just before the day you were goin to propose to her. Already, lik that you can feel that ting of pain in your heart without the actual experince.

 

WITH that, develop a son with your personal experiences whether it be rejection from a confession from your kindergarten years."

 

 

   Everyone opened their notebooks, all noting down their lyrics. But Jieun could only think of Baekhyun and only Baekhyun. the guy she had been liking for 6 years was gone just like that, within a gust by her own bestfriend. SHe glanced at Suzy and Baekhyun who were sitting right by each other, laughing and fiddling with each other. they had swapped pens, writing with each other's hands and both experimentating on each other's lyrics.

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * *

 

  "Lee Jieun." The teacher announced as Jieun stepped out infront of the class. She was the last person to perform her song.

 

"I..i decided to sing 'it's still love' By Shin Seung Hoon." Jieun nodded quietly as she glanced at Baekhyun. She the instrumental and stood infront of the micrphone.

 

 

 

It's still love-- Shin Seung Hoon

When I see love, I walk by it
When I know it’s love, I make an excuse
When I hear love, I ignore it
To cover my cries, I laugh loudly


Love, is my love that bad?


Love brings happiness, but here I am crying


Why me, why am hurting so much?


I’d give everything away, if this love was permitted

When love hurts me, I continue to live
Wiping my tears doesn’t ease the pain
Love, is my love that bad?
Love brings happiness, but here I am crying
Why me, why am hurting so much?


I’d give everything away, if this love was permitted
Precious things always seem to leave
So I’ve kept my feelings hidden

Your aura is so attracting
That is causes the drunkenness from you love to get worse
I live for this painful love

 

 

 

 

   Jieun sang, but it even surprised her that she wasn't crying. Maybe she had cried too much to let out more tears. Singing that, her heart felt as it was just freed from million dog chains holding her heart back. SHe could finally breathe.

 

    She opened her eyes, to see her teacher glancing at her with her jaws dropped. Everyone glanced at her, fascinated yet freaked out at how Jieun could express such a love song, for someone who was an antisocial freak. But only Suzy really understood what Jieun was coming from, but she no longer felt any guilt.

 

  "How.. You how.." The teacher mumbled. "How did you do that Lee Jieun?" The teacher asked, amazed. The karaoke machine showed a 99.9%, which even some teachers couldn't achieve. Jieun just smiled solemly, before returning back to her seat. Everyone's glares were on her, but the only thing she could think about was

 

Would Baekhyun know how i feel?

 

 

 It seemed as he still didn't.

 

 

"Are you crushing someone or something?" The teachr asked, fascinated as she glanced at the karaoke screen, resulting a perfect 99.9%. 

 

Jieun only smiled weakly, looking down.

 

 

"You know i heard from our seniors that that machine only gives a perfect score with the balance of emotions. No matter how perfectly you reach a high note, you'll only get as 75% if you have no emotion! It's so obvious Lee Jieun's crushing on someone.."

   The guys infront of her sniggered as they nudged each other.

 

 

  That little joy Jieun had felt had completely disappeared. Baekhyun was more lovey dovey towards SUzy, hurting her even more. At times Jieun wanted to revenge with another guy, but there wasn't anyone who would ever love her. Because she was a social outcast.

 

 

    After class, Jieun exited the classroom first with the benefits of sittin at the back. She wanted to disappear to some place where nobody would even notice her existance. Not that they did anyway, but when she was forced to stand infront of the class, it wans't exactly a ideal thing for her.

 

   'Jieun.?" a familiar voice called her. It seemd so sweetening just to have it called her name. SHe turned back slowly, surprised to see Baekhyun had called her. Just him, no Suzy.

 

   "Y..yes..?" Jieun replied, completely calm.

 

"I.. i saw you in class today.. You were good.." He smiled shyly. Jieun was puzzled. Why was he acting so shy like he had just met his crush or something? He wasn't usually like this.

 

  "Cool.." Jieun rolled her eyes.

 

"I was wondering.. Do you.." He said quietly.

 

Jieun waited for his question, hoping him to ask her out.

 

"Do you.."

 

"Can i.."

Jieun's heart was pounding very fast. her adreneline rushes were flowing so hard, and she felt as heaven was parting her from the harshness into a world where everything went how she wished. Had he finally realised that Suzy was a ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Do you do gigs..? Because i was wondering if you could do a gig for me and Suzy.. She's your bestfriend.. right?"

 

 

 

 

 

Oh wow. That was new.