The Homecoming

Friendship

Ji Hyo scrambles after the white dog, who's giving her the chase of her lifetime through vegetable fields and rice patties, under the warm August sun.

 

"Yah, Mong Mong, get back here! MONG!!!", she screams into the serene countryside after, watching her parent's dog bob up and down through the greenery, teasing her.

 

The female kicks off her rubber shoes in frustration as she sprints forward, laughing in amusement, with her baggy floral pants flapping in the wind.

 

 

 

She liked it here, in the countryside, with her parents. She needed a break from everything, from all the relationships and obligations in Seoul. This was the pause button in her life where she could take some time recollect before heading back into the fast, flashy Seoul life again. She wonders anyone missed her back in the city, if she would be still on people's radars once she returned.

 

Chang Joo reached out to her once to report that he's landed safely, but she hasn't heard from him since, not that she really wanted to. Ji Hyo's ignored calls and emails from all her friends, and it's probably not the best practice, but her excuse is that signal here is poor. Mainly, she wants people to forget her for a bit, so she can release some of the baggage.

 

 

 

"Eomma, waeeeeeee?", she whines, when returns to her home, face dirtied, with the bastard dog clasped tightly in her tanned arms, to find her bags packed and at the front doorstep. On top of it laid a train ticket.

 

Her mother goes on an angry rant, pointing at her frizzy hair, her unruly eyebrows and dirt-covered nails, telling her that it's high time she goes back to reality. She's let herself go for long enough and is just being lazy now. The elder woman then lists out all the additional expenses Ji Hyo's impromptu staycation has incurred. The daughter mutters under breath that she's contributed to her share through all her less than voluntary hours out with the crops.

 

 

 

 

Ji Hyo steps into her apartment to find everything exactly as she left it six months ago. She takes a breath and throws apart the curtains to let in the blinding sun through a shower of dust. Time to retire Cheon Seong Im. Song Ji Hyo is ready to start again.

 

 

It's six o'clock at night and Ji Hyo (lovingly) curses her mother as she sits in front of her vanity, applying a light wash of pink across her cheeks, before searching for her black dress and slips into a pair of open-toed heels. , she forgot how much she hated them. All for this ing guy she had to meet. He better be absolutely amazing.

 

Apparently, her mother had so kindly set her on a blind date with someone tonight in Seoul so had to force Ji Hyo out of the house that morning. She knew her mother wanted grandchildren, but geez, she didn't have to be aggressive about it.

 

Ji Hyo was only provided with the restaurant name and time to meet. No name or physical description. This is what happens when mothers try to arrange a child's colleagues' friend's colleague's friend. This is why her mother should leave her alone!

 

The single woman gives the hostess of the French restaurant an awkward greeting before silently sliding onto the bench in the waiting area. She didn't even know what the name of her reservation would be for crying out loud. How would her date even find her if he knew as little as she did. For the first fifteen minutes, she keeps an out on the door, scrutinizing every guest entering, studying faces and flagging them as potential candidates.

 

She quickly loses patience when only large parties and couples enter through and resorts to people-watching or checking her makeup through her camera phone. It's already twenty minutes past the supposed dinner time and Ji Hyo's beginning to think that maybe she got stood up after all. Her blood begins to boil the more she starts believing it. She was across the country just this morning and traveled all the way here just for this? She recalls the mess in her apartment waiting for her from her haphazard unpacking. This guy, whom it ever it is, whenever he shows up, oh he's never going to see daylight again.

 

Her date is now forty-five minutes late. She's been busying herself with reading the latest news so at least she'll have some topics to discuss, but she's already back tracked to articles from nine months ago. If he doesn't get here soon, her brain might actually explode with all the new knowledge trying to be stuffed in. Her eyes are so sore. She wants to lay down on the bench for a nap--it's been a long day. It probably wouldn’t be the best first impression, but she's so sleepy right now. Letting out a big yawn, she stretches her arms and leans back against the wall, closing her eyes.

 

She doesn't care if the date doesn't like her. She doesn't want him anyway. Someone who's so ridiculously late to what should be an important event. It could be Day 1 of forever. Why is he screwing it up?

 

Her body is screaming at her mind to stop thinking so it can rest a little and slowly, the voice in her head begins to calm down.

 

The little nap was going splendidly when there's a nudge on her shoulder. She shakes it off at first, still unconscious. There's another nudge and her hand comes out to swat the intruder away.

 

"Ji Hyo", it calls again.

 

She groans again. It must be her mother waking her up in the morning again. She buries her face into the bench.

 

"Song Ji Hyo"

 

It's a male's voice. Male. Male? Male! Oh, her date! She jerks upright in surprise, sending her phone sliding off her lap and crashing onto the ground.

 

"!", she curses, immediately reaching down to cradle the it. ", I just got this", she frivolously inspects the phone and wipes the screen with her dress fabric.

 

Ji Hyo covers shyly when she realizes that words that have just escaped. She hasn't looked up yet, but it definitely wasn’t a good first impression. Well, she supposes they both have flaws. He's perpetually late and she has anger management issues.

 

The female hopes for the best and slowly tilts her head up. Before she can even discern a face, she's wrapped up by a pair of extremely muscled arms. There's a familiar scent of sandalwood and she instantly relaxes. He gives her two slightly heavy-handed slaps on the back in excitement.

 

"Oww, it hurtsssssss", she whines, like the old days, like they never missed a step.

 

He only squeezes her tighter. She feels his nose nudging against her hair. There's a flutter of pressure against her head and then it's gone.

 

"Why are you here?", he asks with a glint in his eye. His voice sends smooth rumbles in his chest, where Ji Hyo's cheek lay.

 

"I'm waiting for some jerk who is", she pauses to check her phone, "nearly an hour late". He feels him swallow hardly against her.

 

"Why are you here?", Ji Hyo asks the same, "who are you waiting for?"

 

He doesn't answer immediately, but instead, his left arm moves to press her head against his heart and his right arm snakes around her waist, pulling her tight against him. He breathes in and drowns in her scent. He's not letting go of her this time.

 

There is a sharp twist to his side. The sudden pain loosens his grip and she steps back, freed.

 

"Goddamn, what's wrong with you? I can't even breathe", she beats her chest to help circulate air and shoot him her deadliest glare.

 

He thinks it's absolutely adorable.

 

He also thinks her golden skin is stunning and her silky black hair flowing around her shoulders are just itching to be played with by his fingers. And her deep brown eyes that are looking back at him with so much warmth it swallows him.

 

 

"Are you okay?", her hand waves furiously in front of his face. She's on her tiptoes now, peering into his eyes, trying to rescue him from her reverie.

 

He snaps to and grabs her by the shoulders. She gasps audibly and freezes under his touch.

 

The male's left hand moves to cradle her face, as his right slowly brushes the hair from her eyes. She looks back up at him, startled. She's so close to him now, just peering at him with her alarmed eyes. He can see all the stray hairs of her brows, the cracks on her chapped lips (he'll remember to buy her some lip balm), and make out a constellation from the tiny moles on her face. It must be a dream that she's in front of him now. He's afraid to even breathe.

 

He must have saved the country in his previous life to deserve a second chance like this. To restart, reconcile, and repent.

 

 

 

"I'm perfectly fine." He cracks a sly smile and takes a confident step towards her.

 

"You", he answers.

 

Confused, she leans back to keep their distance, with an arm propped out against the wall behind her for support. Her back is arched, ing her chest out at him.

 

The dim lighting of the waiting room casts shadows across her face, highlights the curve of her pink lips, the fan of her fluttering lashes, and the smooth expanse of her exposed neck. All out there for him to claim--waiting, teasing, begging.

 

He takes another step in, "it's you". 

 

She leans back further now bent nearly parallel to the floor. Her arm wobbles under the increased weight. Her breath is now tight against her chest and she's quivering.

 

"Help, I'm about to fall", she squeaks out. Her words are puffs of air against his neck. She stares up at him, eyes desperate for his saving grace.

 

"I'll catch you", he promises, a steady hand swoops behind her back to pull her up.

 

He takes another step and leans in, nudging her with his nose before grazing his lips against hers.

 

She gasps his name. Rosy flowers now blooming on her cheeks.

 

When he speaks, it's gentle and whispered like a sacred chant directly for her soul.

 

"I've always been waiting for you."

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: And that's the end! I hope you guys enjoyed this story! I was debating bewteen a happy/sad ending but I think I've tortured everyone enough for the past three years. Man, it's been three years since I started it. Crazy, right? I went through some major writer's blocks and I appreciate everyone for being so patient with me and continuing to read despite the irregular updates. Thank you!