Impractical

The Word Bucket [Taking Requests]

Youngjae didn't understand what the big deal was when it came to love. He didn't understand why people went through such a hassle to keep their lover happy. He didn't understand why some people wandered the streets with heart-shaped sparkles in their eyes because apparently 'oh my god did you see that? He looked at me!'. Like, really now. What the hell is so damn gratifying about some dude looking past you? And he most certainly didn't understand why some people wallowed in misery and swam in an ocean of used tissues after break ups. Not to mention the truckloads of ice cream they purchased while they were drowning in snot.

The blonde was pretty sure that the dairy industry would never go out of business for as long as there were heart-broken, non lactose-intolerant people walking (or rolling) around on this planet.

Seriously, though. Did these people somehow forget that there just happened to be seven billion other people in the world who didn't suddenly pop out of nowhere over night? If there were seven billion other people, and at least half of them were single, then there Youngjae was pretty sure that the numerous snot monsters would find someone out there much better and more deserving of them.

In conclusion, Youngjae believed that everything that had to do with love was impractical. What was so great about it?

But then the whole love pandemic just had to hit him too. Daehyun turned out to be an exception to his rule.

When the beat of his heart slowly picked up and his cheeks became just a little more pink than usual, Youngjae thought he came down with something. A case of the flu, a possible cold, some sort of sickness. He even took his temperature, but even that was pretty normal too. After concluding that his temperature wasn't high enough for a fever, the boy brushed the feeling off for a while longer because come on now, your heart can't possibly jump start every single time your room mate walks into the room, right?

So for a while, Youngjae dealt with the slight changes of temperature and the erratic heart jolts and the longer-than-neccessary stares at his good friend, Daehyun, because Himchan told him before that the feeling was normal and part of puberty. The explanation made sense for a bit until Youngjae remembered that he was, in fact, nineteen already and that he was way past the stage of raging hormones, cracking vocals, and the army of acne on his face (or so he believes). Plus, Youngjae knew he never encountered this feeling when he was younger. At this point, though, Youngjae was beginning to think that Daehyun was an exception to everything.

His friends always told him about their so-called 'crushes' on their classmates but in all honesty, Youngjae never experienced having a crush on someone. He never felt that strange feeling which drew someone to someone else. Himchan always told him that it was a bitter-sweet kind of thing, one which would remain bitter-sweet until the person said yes or no. But, no matter how many times Himchan tried to explain the emotion, Youngjae couldn't understand it.

Not even a week after Himchan's failed explanation, the two best friends are sitting in complete silence, eyes glued to the T.V. in Himchan's room (because whenever Youngjae has problems, he always finds himself running back to Himchan) when the elder of the two nonchalantly asks 'do you ever have the urge to kiss him? Or perhaps have a fantasy of him ing you?' which ends up in Youngjae choking on the popcorn and Himchan trying to perform the Heimlich. Minutes later, when Himchan's sure that Youngjae won't die on him, he asks the question again and receives a flat 'no' for an answer (accompanied with a blush, but Youngjae refuses to admit it because he knows for a fact that Himchan will never let him live it down).

"Bull," Himchan says. "It's plain as day that you love him, idiot. You're just too thick-skinned to realize it yourself."

To which Youngjae counters, "I don't love him."

"Oh really?"

"Really."

"Well, your heart races whenever you see him, right?"

"It's because I walked up a flight of stairs."

"You don't have stairs in your room. And you blush too!"

"It was the magazines."

"What magazines? Boy, I've checked your room countless times and there has never been a magazine of women lying around anywhere. Don't lie," Himchan folds his arms, eyeing the younger with an eyebrow raised and a smirk on his lips.

"Whatever," the younger manages to grumble before trudging away from Himchan who goes back to eating his bag of sour gummy worms. Youngjae walks out the door, not missing the 'Stop denying your feelings, princess!' Himchan calls out from the couch. The younger shakes his head, throws out a ' you!' and denies over and over and over again that he is absolutely not in love because love is impractical and Youngjae doesn't like dealing with impractical things.

Like a little kid on the verge of throwing a tantrum, Youngjae childishly pouts and mumbles his way to his and Daehyun's room. He swings takes out the key and fumbles with the lock for a second before swinging open the door and hitting his room mate square in the face. Daehyun falls over from the impact, clutching his now bleeding nose all the while muttering out a string of curses that Youngjae prays to the entity sitting like a boss in the clouds is not aimed at him.

The younger of the two slams the door shut behind him in slight panic and crouches down next to the Busan boy who's nose is bleeding profusely like the bloody Niagara Falls. Youngjae's pretty sure that Daehyun's going to pass out from lack of blood.

". Daehyun, dude. I'm so sorry. I uh...I didn't. Just I-"

"Is alright. Don't worry about it..." the said teen mutters, when Youngjae clearly knows it's not okay because ing , the fountain of blood won't stop and Youngjae's still gaping at him.

"Oh right," the blonde scrambles to his feet and trips his way to the bathroom in search of a towel. In his haste, Youngjae grabs the ugly, orange Christmas snowman face towel Himchan's stepdad's cousin's brother's son tried knitting for him and runs back to Daehyun's side. There's a tiny puddle of blood on the floor but Youngjae pays no attention and instead tries to pry Daehyun's fingers away from his nose. Daehyun, however, decides to be a (a y one at that) and refuses because Youngjae's face just looks so cute when he's worried about him.

"No."

"Don't be stubborn! I'm CPR certified, okay?!"

"Does this look like CPR to you?!"

"It's first aid so it counts! Just shut up so I can treat you, dammit!"

After much cursing and yelling and loads of nonsense, Daehyun finally gives in to Youngjae and allows himself to be cared for. Gently, Youngjae slides his smooth hand up Daehyun's jaw and leans forwards a little more to hold the towel firmly under Daehyun's nose and Daehyun can't help but lean a little more too into the touch because God knows how long he's waited for something of this sort to happen. Well, maybe not the whole nose bleed thing but Daehyun was going to take it like a man if it meant Youngjae being this close to him.

The blonde tilts the elder's head down, carefully brushing away the dark locks falling in Daehyun's eyes with the tips of his fingers. They stay like that for a good period of time, sitting cross-legged as they both wait for Daehyun's nose to calm down with the bleeding. Youngjae stands up, feeling the blood ease it's way through the thick fabric of the towel and throws the soaked towel in the sink for him to clean later. He scavenges for the other ugly green towel six-year-old Junhong knitted for him on Valentine's Day and holds it under icy cold water.

Youngjae steps out of the bathroom once more and heads back to Daehyun who's nose is bleeding much less now and sits on the side of him. The blonde one leans his palm over Daehyun's outstretched legs and lays it to the side while he goes back to tending the elder's injury. He notices the hint of a jerk Daehyun does the moment the towel came into contact with his face. Youngjae smiles a bit and all of a sudden, his heart starts beating berserkly. His cheeks flare and Youngjae wants so badly to run away because he still doesn't know how to deal with this emotional turmoil. He's chewing on his bottom lip harshly, and he ends up averting his eyes because the way Daehyun's looking at him makes him feel uncomfortable in a good, yet impractical kind of way.

"Look, I'm sorry. I was spacing out and I kinda just-"

"Hey, it's all good. It was an accident, right? I don't think you have a hidden vendetta on me. So don't worry."

"But Daehyun. I don't think you understand. Your nose was bleeding like the ing Buckingham Fountain. A fountain, Daehyun. How the hell was I not supposed to worry?!"

"Fountain, huh? But seriously though, calm yourself," Youngjae felt Daehyun push away his hand which held the cold cloth on his nose.

Youngjae shoots his head back up to meet eyes with Daehyun, but before he could even say anything, Daehyun crashes their lips together and leaves Youngjae dumbfounded for a moment before reacting to the kiss. Daehyun snakes his arm around Youngjae's waist and pulls the younger onto his lap while lightly nibbling on the blonde's lip for entrance. Shyly the other complies, having no experience whatsoever, Daehyun takes the initiative and takes the kiss slow, pulling Youngjae's arms to hook them around his shoulders.

Daehyun pulls away from a panting Youngjae and leans his forehead on the other's, chuckling to himself. He takes in the sight of Youngjae flushed cheeks, dazed eyes, and puffy lips, tenderly placing another small kiss on them once more.

"So I guess this means that you kinda sorta, in a way, have feelings for me to?" Daehyun asks, lips pulling upward in a smirk. Speechless, Youngjae merely nods. Daehyun then smiles in return and closes the small distance between their lips.

Youngjae didn't used to understand what the big deal was when it came to love. But, now he did. People described the feeling as heavenly, blissful, wonderful, daydreamy and blah blah blah. And he had to say, they were right. Sure, the whole idea of love was still quite impractical, but Youngjae thinks that Daehyun's love is a good kind of impractical. A special kind. The kind of impractical which gives him butterflies and blushes and all sort of other things, but Youngjae thinks that he doesn't mind all that much because it's Daehyun and Daehyun's always been a special exception to his rule.

 


Herroo. I hope you liked this? I guess it was implied fluff? IDK. I just. IDK. More word vomit for you to wallow in. I have a feeling I switched tenses a lot in this one...I hope there are no spelling or grammar errors. You are free to laugh if there are. I would too. LET ME LUVS U ALL. *throws sparkly pink hearts and cookies and gummy bears*

Word Vomit Count: 1844
Genre: Implied Fluff? I guess?
Pairing: DaeJae
Credits: pastel-