New Faces

New Independence

 

CHAPTER 2:
New Faces








{Dara}





Bom, Chaerin, Minji and I headed to the gymnasium, on the way Bom gave me a quick recap of the students in our class.

“So Dara, if you want to live in this school, you have to know who to avoid, okay?”

“To avoid?” Am I going to die if I don’t.

“Well you see, our school is very famous for our intellects and fighting skills.”
I didn’t answer but, Fighting Skills???

“The student who tops the list is Jiyong Kwon.”

“My desk partner?”

“Yes. He’s the school’s top student and top fighter.”

“What?” I said raising my voice.

“You see, when we were still in our freshman year, some students from another school was creating a riot outside. Back then Jiyong was so dormant, no one knew him because he was so silent and such a bookworm.”

“So what did he do?”

“He was entering the school gates with his eyes glued on his book then suddenly a guy from the other school took his book and tore it apart.”

“Dara-ah! Minji and I will demonstrate.” Chaerin said.

I watched as Chaerin, who was acting as the other student, took a book from Minji, acting as Jiyong. When the book left Minji’s hand, her hands formed a knuckle and “punched” Chaerin. She “punched” Chaerin on the face, stomach and she even gave her a kick too.

“He did that to 15 students.” Minji said.

“Really?” I was amazed.

“And after he defeated them all, he picked up his book from the ground and read as he entered the school building, leaving all the injured students on the ground.”

WOW.” Was all I could say.

“So if you want to live, don’t piss him off and don’t into his business.”

“He doesn’t really care about the world, he just looks out the window, not listening to the teacher but he perfects every test the teachers throw at him.”

“He must be a genius then?”

“A mysterious genius. No one could even look him in the eye. That's why some people call him G-Dragon.”


“Whoa. But you said I had to avoid people? But you only mentioned Jiyong.”


“Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You see when it comes to Jiyong, a smart, good-looking and macho guy. There would always be strong-hearted fan girls.”


“Are you one of them?”


“No!” They all said in unison.


“You see, even though Jiyong is oh-so-hot and oh-so-macho, we still value our lives.” Chaerin explained.


“Oh, then who is a fangirl of him?” I asked them.


“There are lots out there but the one you have to avoid is that one.” Bom pointed to a girl sitting on a bench, chatting with some girls.

“That’s Sohee Ahn, she is the president of Jiyong Kwon Fangirl Society.”

“Haha.. Nice one Bom!” Chaerin said laughing.

“Well it’s true! She’s the number one fan girl of Jiyong. If she can’t have him no one can. One time, a girl tried to confess her love for Jiyong.” Bom started the story.


“What happened?” I asked. I was really curious to what happens next. 


“The girl dropped out of school.” Minji cut in.


“Why?” I was really surprised.


“Well since her attempt to confess her feelings, Sohee and her minions tormented the girl, which forced her to drop out.” Bom continued.


“I really have to avoid her.” I said to myself.


After that little recap from Bom, we finally arrived at the gym. We were the first ones to arrive. We headed to the locker room to get changed.


When we were changing our clothes, our other female classmates started coming in. And then Sohee Ahn went inside. I felt goose bumps.


She was approaching me. I pretended to look around in my locker. But instead of talking to me, she opened the locker next to mine.


What a relief! I thought, but I guess I was wrong when suddenly,


“You’re Dara right?” Sohee asked me.


“Uhm, Yes. Nice to meet you.”


“Well not so nice to meet you. You’re desk partners with MY Jiyong aren’t you?”


“Yes.”


“Well you better stick to your side and no funny business, or you’re dead. I’ll be watching you. He’s mine.”


I was shocked by the threat.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After Sohee’s last statement, she left me dumb founded. Bom and the girls approached me.


“Dara! Are you okay?”


“Uhm yeah.” I felt my kness weakening.


“Don’t worry Dara, we’ve got your back.” Minji assured me.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


We headed out of the locker room. We were waiting for our teacher to come.

All the students were scattered all over the gym, doing the same stuff they usually do.



I stared out into the window, I saw someone lying beneath the tree outside the gym.

“Why is Jiyong still outside?”

“Hm? We don’t know, he doesn’t attend our PE class but for some reason, he still passes it with flying colors.”

“Oh.” I said in amazement.


Then the teacher came inside. The rest of the day was nothing special.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dismissal time came.



“Dara! Are you coming with us?” Chaerin asked me.

“Uhm, someone’s going to pick me up.”

“Oh. See you tomorrow then.” Chaerin and the girls waved goodbye.

"Yes! Tomorrow then." I waved back at them.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I waited for nanny to come by the school gate. I watched all the students go home.


Then I saw Jiyong come out. He approached a motorbike parked outside the school gate.


WOW! That was his?


He put his helmet on, but Sohee came into the picture.


“Jiyong! Want to give me a ride home?” Sohee said fondling with her hair.


But no reply came from Jiyong, he just rode away.


Sohee was left with open.


“Well another time then.” Sohee said trying to make it seem she was not embarrassed.
Well that was funny, I told myself letting out a silent laugh.


Then nanny came. We took a short bus ride to my new apartment.


When we arrived to my apartment nanny said a few reminders and then left.


I can’t believe I’m all alone in this two-storey apartment.


“Why did my parents have to buy such a big apartment for someone living alone.”


I decided to eat something. I looked at the cupboards and it was full of supplies, or should I say instant noodles since it was the only thing I could cook.


So I made one for myself.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



After eating I heard a knock from the front door.

When I opened the door, a woman came into view.

“Oh hello dear.” The woman said.


“Uhm, Good Evening.” I said shyly.

“Sorry for bothering you so late at night. I just wanted to welcome you into our neighbourhood. So where are your parents?” She asked


“Uhm, well they’re away on business.” Nice save Dara.


I let her into the living room.



“Oh, so you’re all alone in this big apartment?” She asked me.

“Yes.”

“Well if you need anything dear, don’t hesitate to come to our house. My family and I live just across the street.” She pointed out.

I looked at the house she’s pointing at and it was a large house, almost as large as our mansion.

“Oh, how rude of me. I’m Mrs. Kwon by the way.”

Mrs. Kwon? Maybe she’s.. Oh no way! They’re nothing alike!

“Uhm, Sandara Park, Dara for short. Nice meeting you Mrs. Kwon.”

“So are you studying?” She said with so much concern.

“Oh yes. I’m currently a senior at Myeongdeok High.” I told her as her eyes brightened.

“Really! My son goes to that school too. We wanted him to be able to study among normal kids, we didn’t want our business to be a nuisance from him being a typical kid.” She explained.

“Oh. So who might your son be?”

“His name is Jiyong Kwon. Maybe you’ve heard of him.” She said so proudly.

“Jiyong? Oh! I’ve heard of him alright.” Jiyong?! Jiyong!?

Then we heard a motorbike stop outside.

“Oh, it seems my son is back from school. Nice to meet you Dara dear, you can call me auntie.”

“Oh thank you for welcoming me, auntie.”

I led her to the front door and bid her farewell.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After that talk with Jiyong’s mom I decided to go up to my room and study.

Why is he so different from his mother?
She was so lively and so warm, but he on the other hand was so secretive and cold.
But I felt that we're not that different from each other. 

There was something inside me saying that he was just like me.