Warmth

New Independence

CHAPTER 4:
Warmth






{Dara}




I looked up to who was apparently blocking the sun, watching me.


I froze in complete shock.




It was none other than JIYONG, with his brows ceased.


He was staring at me and then sat down in front of me.


I didn't know what to do. I might've disturbed his privacy up here. What am I going to do?


When his right hand moved backwards, I closed my eyes.


Oh no! Please no. I don't want to die!†I screamed in my head, thinking he's going to punch the daylights out of me. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Take it. You'll get a cold." He said warmly.


I opened my eyes and saw that he was actually handing me his handkerchief. I was so surprised.

He wasn't mad or anything, he actually gave me a little smile, I think.



After about 5 seconds of staring right at him, I finally took his handkerchief and started wiping my head and clothes.



He put his arms around me and helped me get up.



For that small moment, I felt his warmth against my shoulder. It felt nice.




He then put me aside. He approached the door and turned the knob to make sure it was locked.


He again looked at me. I shivered as I felt the cold breeze.


"Aisht." I heard him mumble.


He then took of his jacket and put it around me.


It or he smelled nice. He smelled like a little bit of heaven. Wow I can't believe that I would describe him like that.


He then returned his attention to the locked door. And in just a moment he lifted his right foot and closed his eyes. And with a blink of an eye, he kicked the door open.


"Omo." I said in my head, because I was just speechless with what he just did.


He turned his back and said, "You better change into your PE shirt, you can keep my jacket and my handkerchief."


He went inside and went down the stairs, and I was left speechless and in shock.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



After about 5 minutes of being paralyzed, I finally decided to head downstairs to the locker rooms. Good thing there were still no students around. I quickly changed into my PE shirt. I know I have to hide this little event because if I don't, there'll be a big scandal.


Or something even worse, "Sandara Park, found dead due to high school bullying!" will be the headlines tomorrow.


I hurriedly ran to our classroom, good thing I was the first one to arrive. Before I put Jiyong's jacket into my bag, I couldn't help but stare into it. His name plate was still on it, Jiyong Kwon.


The I heard someone approaching so I hid the "evidence" in my bag, Bom, Chaerin and Minji came into the room.



"Yah! Dara! Where did you go?" Bom shouted as she pointed at me.


"Uhm, I couldn't wash the smell of the soda from my uniform so I decided to change into my PE shirt."


"Oh, good thinking." Minji said. Yeah! It was a great idea Dara.


Then our other classmates started coming in.


The four of us went to our own seats. Then I heard a motorcycle start.


I looked to my left and Jiyong's things weren't there anymore.

"He already left? I didn't get to thank him yet." I whispered as I saw him speed away on his bike. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next classes were nothing special.


I think I didn't notice anything else because all I could think of was what HE did earlier. It wasn't the part he kicked the door open, but the part when he gave me his handkerchief and helped me stand up.


I think I felt something. And I think I felt it before.


The hours went by fast. Before I knew it, it was time to go home.


I left school with Bom and my new friends.


I saw Sohee, her eyes were burning. I think she could put a hole into my soul with her stare.


But I didn't pay much attention to her. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I realized that Jiyong's jacket was still in my bag.


I know that he has a lot of uniforms to spare, but I also know that it’s my responsibility to return it no matter what.


"Dara?" I went back to reality when Bom waved her hand in front of my face.


"Neh?" I asked.


"Are you okay?" She asked.


"Yeah. I'm okay. I just remembered something." I explained.


"I wonder what happened to Jiyong. He suddenly disappeared. But that's not unusual." Chaerin said.


"Dara. Do you know where he went?" Minji asked.


"How should I know where he went?" I answered obviously being defensive.


"Because you're his desk partner. What else could be the reason?" Minji answered. Having a sly smile on her face, just like Chaerin and Minji.

"Well I don't." I said pouting.

"It's okay, let's just forget about it." Bom said as we got on the bus.



The bus ride was short but all we did on the bus was laugh out loud. I was the first one to get off the bus.


It was really fun having friends. I never really had friends. Well at least I had one, but that was centuries ago. I don't even know what happened to him. 

Any ways, before I get lost in my thoughts again, I focused my attention to the thing in my bag.


Maybe, I could wash it first before I returned it to him. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Good thing I forced nanny to teach me how to wash clothes, last year. Just because I was bored.

When I got home, I washed Jiyong's jacket and put it in the dryer.

While it was still in the dryer, I had myself a bowl of instant ramen.



After that, I hanged the jacket out in the backyard. I started studying.

I finished studying at around 10 o'clock. Maybe it's dry by now.



So I got the jacket and I even ironed it. Good thing nanny taught me that too. 

I hung it on the hook on my closet door. 


I stared at it as I sat on my bed. And I remembered I have three things that came from him, 

his kandkerchief, 

his pen 

and his jacket.

As I remembered them one by one, I held the handkerchief and pen in my hands.



Why was he so concerned about me today? Why was he so kind?

Maybe, he was just felt pity for me. That's why!

OMO. What will I do?




Before I knew it, I was already fast asleep. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, I woke up early.

But it seems that Jiyong woke up even earlier. I couldn't see his bike anywhere outside.

So I decided that maybe I'll just return it to auntie.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I got ready for school and headed out my apartment.

I crossed the street and rang their doorbell.

Then auntie answered the intercom. "Yes?"

"Uhm, auntie. Good morning. It's me, Dara." I said politely.

"Oh Dara! Wait, I'll open the gate for you." auntie said. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After about 3 minutes auntie arrived at the gate.


"Good morning Dara, how may I help you?" Auntie asked me.

"Well, auntie I just came to return Jiyong's jacket. He left it at school."

"Oh. How kind of you Dara! Thank you oh so much. But oh!" She said, very surprised.

"What is it auntie?" I asked curiously.

"Jiyong's nameplate is still attached here. He only has one." Auntie pointed to the nameplate.

"Oh! You're right auntie!"

"Well, Dara. Could you give it to him? He might get in trouble in school. You know they don't tolerate incomplete uniforms."

"Yes auntie!" I answered. I felt like that this is my mission IMPOSSIBLE! 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Will update soon! :)