The Impossible

New Independence

CHAPTER 5:
The Impossible






{Dara}

My Mission: To return Jiyong’s name plate without anyone noticing, especially Sohee Ahn.

 

While on the bus I was trying to strategize. How?

I just held my hands together and silently prayed with utmost sincerity.

“God, please help me survive.”

 

Walking up to the school gate. I was still hoping for the best.

A deep sigh of relief escaped my mouth when I saw that Jiyong was kneeling beside the gates with his hands in the air.

Huh? Wait, that came out wrong. I mean, I don’t have to give it to him directly.

But who am I defending myself to anyway?

 

So after a moment of collecting my thoughts, I got my mask, put it on and took one last deep breath.

 

Off to battle!

“Sir, he dropped this outside the gate.” I said to the teacher giving out the punishments, and ran into the school.

I could still hear him scream outside, “Yah! Mister Kwon, it’s your lucky day!”

I hurriedly ran to our classroom hoping no one else saw what I just did.

My classmates started piling in the door saying good morning to everyone.

I was still in a daze, trying to catch up on my breath and find my own sanity somewhere.

 

A minute before the bell, he came in the room.

I was so nervous, I don’t even know why.

He sat down beside me and there was silence, finally I was relieved.

 

Then a piece of paper inched its way towards my side of the desk, I saw that he was pushing it that way.

 

I took it and it read, “Thanks.”

“Dara!” Now back to reality, I slipped the paper in my pocket as fast as I could.

“Can you help me, I can’t really understand this part of the homework.” Bom faced towards me.

 

I tried my best to focus on what Bom and I are talking about and not about my heart trying to explode. What is happening to me?

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A little after Recess, I saw Jiyong slump on his desk, maybe he’s sleepy?

I just tried to focus on the subject on the board. Get it together Dara!

 

Next period, he just got up, got his bag and left.

What a very strange thing to do. Leave school because you’re sleepy.

 

“He does that time to time.” Bom told me as soon as Jiyong left the room.

I just shook my head. Whatever I was feeling before, it’s long gone by now.

I just thought he was actually serious about school even if he doesn’t listen to the discussions.

Oh whatever. I just dismissed all thoughts about him.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Dara! We’re going to eat some ddeokbokki. Want to come along?” Bom asked.

Before I could give Bom an answer. “Dara, Mr. Jang wants to see you in the faculty.”

“It’s okay, we’ll just wait for you outside.” Bom answered.

 

I got all my things and went to the faculty room, what could Mr. Jang want with me?

“Miss Park, I give you the great honor” Huh? “of delivering Mr. Jiyong Kwon his homework. We wouldn’t want our top student getting left behind now, don’t we?”

“But sir.”

“Please Miss Park, you’re his desk partner and it says on your record that he’s your neighbor.”

“But sir.”

“Please Miss Park.” He started to whisper. “I’m scared of him. It’s as if everything I do annoys him.”

 

WHAT?! EVEN OUR CLASS ADVISER IS SCARED OF HIM?

“Okay sir, I will do it.”

“Thank you Miss Park! Fighting!”

 

I met up with Bom and the others and went on our merry way to get ddeokbokki.

Mom and dad didn’t really like me eating food like this, but what the heck. I chuckled to myself.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

 *ding dong* I pressed the intercom.

“Ah Dara-yah!” Mrs. Kwon’s face appeared on the screen.

“Auntie. I came to give Jiyong his homework.”

“What is that dear? Sorry. I couldn’t hear you. Come in.”

 

There were a lot of people in their house. Moving about furniture and cleaning up one specific room.

“Auntie?”

“Ah Dara. Sorry for the mess. We’re.. uhm.. preparing…” She didn’t finish the sentence.

“I came over to bring Jiyong his books, Auntie.”

“Ah. That’s so kind of you. Can you just put it in his room? Up the stairs, second door on the right.”

 

“But auntie..” Before I could even finish my sentence she was out of sight.

 

It’s amazing to see that Auntie actually manages this huge house all on her own, without any maids.

HOW?!

Second door on the right.

OMO!

I knocked on the door to make sure Jiyong was not around.

 

Nobody answered so I just came right in.

I slowly walked in, his room was all white. It was so clean. I think I can even smell hospital disinfectant in his room. Is he a clean freak?

 

There I saw him, sleeping.

Quietly tucked in his bed. Sleeping so peacefully.

Then felt it again.

 In my chest. So loud. So strong.

 

Before I knew it, my hands automatically went up to his face.

I was touching his cheek!!!!

 

His eyes were staring at me!

 

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it took so long to update.

I wrote this story back in 2010 and I finished it but on another site. And I forgot that I started it here too.

I have lost all my copies, so I'm trying to recreate the story best I could.

Thank you for reading. :)