Chapter 1: FIRST DAY

New Independence

 

CHAPTER 1:
First Day






{Dara}






I belong to a rich family. I have been homeschooled all my life. But unfortunately, my parents are too down to earth.

For my senior year, they want me to study in a regular public school. “This way you’ll know how to be independent and be able to communicate with people better.” Was the explanation dad gave me.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So, in order to be independent, my parents bought me an apartment. It was a bus ride away from my school and walking distance from our mansion. My parents forbid me from visiting our mansion during schooldays, I can only come over during weekends except for emergencies and the same goes for them.

Today will be the first day in a new school, new environment and new life. My nanny helped me get to my school. I will discover my new apartment after school. Nanny will be picking me up from school.

To get to school nanny and I rode the bus. It was my first time riding it. As we were sitting on the bus:

“Nanny, is it safet here?” I asked nanny.

“Of course dear it is.” Nanny assured me.

“Nanny, I’m nervous about my new school.”

“Don’t worry miss, if you ever need anything just call me and I’ll be there to help.
“Oh thank you nanny, you’re always there for me!”



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


We were near the school. “Nanny, I can walk by myself from here.” I told nanny with a smile.

“Are you sure miss?”

“Yes nanny, it’s right there.”

Nanny and I said our goodbyes.

When I finally arrived at my new school I was shocked.

The students were so scary. 
I noticed three things.

1. The male students were either foolong around or fighting.

2. The female students had really really really short skirts.

3. It was like they were in a park and not in a school.



I stood at the school gate paralyzed to what I saw.

Then the school bell rang. As soon as everyone heard the bell, everyone went in the school running, leaving me stunned.

I was about to start walking towards the school when someone bumped into me from behind. He didn’t even say sorry. He looked so cool, his looked like a hoodlum. His hair was in disarray, he had a band-aid on his face together with a bruise, his neck tie was loose, and his sleeves were folded up to his elbows, while his jacket hung on his school bag.



When he went inside the school, I realized I have to get in too.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I headed to the principal’s office, there I met my teacher. 
“Miss Park, welcome to our humble school, I hope you’ll be comfortable here. Your parents are our biggest benefactors.” The principal told me.

“Uhm, sir, could you not mention that to anyone, the one about my financial background.”

“Oh. If that is your wish, Miss.” He said, I thought he was a genie when he said that.

“Oh thank you sir.” I respectfully answered.

“Well then, you should head to your room then. This is your homeroom teacher, Mr. Jang.” The principal said introducing my teacher.

“Oh hello Mr. Jang.” I bowed.

“Miss Park, let’s head to your classroom then.” Mr. Jang said.

“Neh.” I answered. I bowed to the principal and left the room.


Mr. Jang and I headed to my new classroom. I belonged to the top class.

“Waah, I knew I was smart, but I didn’t know I was that smart!” I told myself.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



We arrived outside my new classroom, but the class was so noisy. I thought top classes were supposed to be qiuet and filled with students that don’t do anything but study. But I guess I was wrong.

We entered the room and I was again surprised to what I saw. Books were flying every where. Girls were powdering their noses, while the guys were fooling around.

Mr. Jang stood in front of the class. “Class settle down.” He said in his loudest voice but no one listened.

Then the door behind me flew open.

Silence filled the room.

The guy who bumped into me earlier was standing by the door.

“Ah. Mr. Kwon, so good for you to join us.” Mr. Jang said.

“He belonged in this class? He was smart?!” I thought in my head, very surprised.

No one said or did anything, everyone was watching him as he walked over to his seat, all I could here were his footsteps. When he finally sat down, he just looked out the window.

Mr. Jang continued on with his announcement. “Now everyone, I want you to meet your new classmate. Ms. Park please introduce your self to the class.” He told me.

Now, everyone’s eyes were on me, except for that Mr. Kwon who was still looking out the window.
“Uhm, I’m Sandara Park, you can call me Dara. I hope we can learn new things together. And I hope we can be friends along the way.” I said and bowed after.

“Well that was a warm introduction. Class, please be nice to her.”

“Yes.” The class answered.

“Now Ms. Park please seat down, the chair next to Mr. Kwon was empty. Why don’t you take that seat?”

“Yes sir.” I answered.

I now approached my seat. Everyone was still watching me.

 


"Look! She’s really pretty.” The guy students keep on saying.




“Not that pretty.” A girl answered.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 

Mr. Jang started with his Math class. 


Immediately I listened, every body listened, but the guy next to me didn’t listen at all. I noticed he was handsome but really mysterious. So before I got much more distracted I returned to listening.

Mr. Jang kept on scribbling on the board and discussing the topic.

Then he wrote down an equation. “Now class, who would like to solve this equation.”



Nobody raised their hand, since the topic was all new and the equation was still complex.


I was still analyzing the equation when, “Jiyong, why don’t you answer this one for us?”



I didn’t know who he was talking about. Then I heard my desk partner stand up and approach the board.

So he was Jiyong then.



When Jiyong got to the board he took a piece of chalk and started solving the equation. It was like he knew the answer from the start, it was like he had it memorized.

After answering the equation, Jiyong returned to his seat without any word. Mr Jang on the other hand yelled, “EXCELLENT! CORRECT! JUST PERFECT!”



 

"I looked to my left. My desk partner or Jiyong as they call him was still looking outside the window. 
 


He was able to answer that without listening? He might’ve been so smart.



 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 

After math, came English. After English, it was recess time.

As soon as the bell rang, Jiyong got out the door.

Then three girls approached me. 

“Hello!” A girl said.

“Uhm, Hello?” I said shyly.

“I’m Bom. This is Chaerin and Minji.” She told me pointing to her two friends.

“Oh, I’m Dara.” I replied.

“We have PE next, why don’ you come with us. I could give you a quick recap of the school.” She told me reaching out her hand to me.

 


“Uhm okay.”