Other side of the coin

Fame isn't all.

When Taemin came back from school, his mother immediately asked him a hundred things about his day. Taemin just answered then, but his heart wasn't really in the conversation. His mother eventually noticed and she frowned.

 

"Taeminnie, what's the matter? Did something bad happen at school?" She asked worried, but Taemin immediately shook his head. 

 

"No, I'm just tired." He lied and his mother smiled. 

 

"Well, it is the first time you went to a real school again in years so I understand. Rest upstairs and we call you when dinner is ready, arrasso?" His mother said and she hugged her son, before he disappeared upstairs. 

 

With a deep sigh he fell on his bed. He actually had a lot of homework to do, but he didn't feel like doing it. Ever since he had left SM and his friend his heart wasn't in anything he did anymore except for dancing. That was why he loved dancing so much. He looked at his watch and guessed he had at least two hours before dinner would be served. He took his phone out of his pocked and searched for Minho's number. His finger kept lingering above the dial button. He stared at Minho's number and sighed. Why was he hesitating? It was his best friend. Still he somehow couldn't get his finger to push the dial button. He threw his phone to the other side of the bed and put his head in his hands and growled. 

 

A few seconds later his phone buzzed. Quickly Taemin grabbed his phone and grimaced when he saw Minho's picture appearing on the screen. He took a deep breath and pushed the answer button.

 

"Hello?" He said and he heard some weird background noises.

 

"Taeminnie~! How are you doing? I'm so exited about tomorrow!" Minho yelled through the phone and Taemin held the phone a few inches from his ear.

 

"Yaah! Are you drunk or something, Minho?" He asked irritated. "Where are you? I hear all kind of things." He then asked. 

 

"I'm at a party from SNSD. They heard we were going to debut soon, so they organized a party. And to answer you first question: I'm drunk. Drunk from your absence. I want you here, Minnie~!" Minho yelled back. 

 

Taemin sighed. He felt a pang going through his heart. He knew he wasn't part of SM anymore, but it hurt to know his friend were partying without him. 

 

"Taeminnie~? You're still there?" 

 

"Yes, yes, I'm still here. I-I need to go. A friend is here and we need to go to a party too. It's so awesome here! I hope you have a great time and till tomorrow!" He lied. Just before he hung up he could hear Minho saying something. 

 

"Taemin? Is everything okay?"

 

Taemin didn't answer and threw his phone to the other side of the room. He felt the tears coming from his eyes and he clenched his teeth. *Dammit, why am I crying? He's having a great time. I should be happy about that. But he's having a great time without me. That's the problem. No, no, don't be so selfish, Taemin. Your friends are debuting soon. Of course they party and stuff. It's good for the publicity if they're seen with idols like SNSD. But what if he begins to like one of the girls? It could happen. They're all really pretty and nice.* While he was thinking he lay on his back and closed his eyes. The tears were still coming and he let out a little sob.

 

When his mother called him two hours later she didn't get any response. She walked upstairs and opened the door to her sons room. When she saw him sleeping on his bed, still fully clothed, she smiled. She carefully closed the door again and walked downstairs. *Aigoo, my son is working so hard and doing so well. It wasn't easy for him to leave his friends and dreams behind, but like I expected he did it like a man. I'm so proud.* 

She couldn't be more wrong about her precious son.

 


 

When Taemin woke up, it was already dark outside. His stomach was growling and he realized he didn´t have any dinner yet. He quickly walked downstairs and noticed that his parents were already sleeping. He ate something and then went upstairs again to change into his dance clothes. He really needed to go out. Although he was tired like hell, he needed to dance. He needed to dance away that terrible lonely feeling he had ever since he had left SM, but had increased since the phone call with Minho a few hours ago.

 

A while later he reached the park and he searched for the place he had danced last night. He soon found it and smiled. Nothing had changed since yesterday. He put on his music and closed his eyes. Again he felt his body moving to the beat and the miserable feelings in his heart just vanished. 

 

After a few numbers he stopped his music and sank down on the grass. Panting he decided to drink something and he walked to his backpack to get his water bottle. Suddenly he heard something and he froze. He listened carefully and felt his heart beating in his throat. Slowly he lay down his water bottle and tiptoed to the place the sound was coming from. When he came closer he recognized the sound. It was... music? Confused Taemin frowned. Why was there music in the middle of the night in the park? He went closer and peeked through the bushes where he was hiding. What he saw made his heart skip a beat.

 

Nearby was a lake and the full moon was lighting up the lake, so the scenery was breathtaking. But that was not what made Taemin's heart skip a beat. Between the lake and Taemin there was someone. A young boy was dancing full passion to the music Taemin had heard a few minutes ago.

*Just like me,* Taemin thought amazed and he just kept staring at the boy. He could only see the back but it was enough to see this boy was clearly very talented.

 

When the music died out the boy turned around and Taemin could finally see his face. He gasped when he recognized it.

 

"Kai?" He said and the boy before him looked up like he was bitten.

 

"Who's there?" The boy asked in a whisper and Taemin could see his eyes looking around carefully. He realized he was invisible in the dark and he came out of the bushes.

 

"It's just me, Teamin. I'm sorry for disturbing you. What are you doing here?" He asked and he immediately could slap himself. What was he doing here? Dancing of course! He had seen it himself.

 

Kai chuckled and smiled more relaxed now. "Oh it's just you. I'm dancing, but I think you already saw. What are YOU doing here?" He then asked and Taemin blushed.

 

"I-I was also dancing." He stammered and Kai looked surprised.

 

"You can dance? I would like to see that." He said and Taemin blushed even more.

 

"Well... I'm not that good." He whispered softly, but Kai didn't hear it. He grabbed the older ones arm and dragged him into the light. For a second the two just looked at each other. *Wow... This boy is actually really good looking.* Taemin thought. Of course he had seen him just that day, but now that he saw him up close the dark skin color and the dark eyes were way more impressive. A slight blush went over the cheeks of Taemin and he cursed himself he had to blush all the time. 

 

On the other hand, Kai was looking at Taemin. He studied his face. *He looks cute. He looks younger than me, but he must be a year older than me.* He thought.

"Okay, let's see what you've got." He then said and smiled. "You must be good, or else you would never hide your talent from the world. I just assume you're so good they can't take your talent." He said with a wink and Taemin laughed. 

 

"Not really." He said and with that the ice was broken. "Well, let's put on some music and I'll show you." Taemin eventually said and Kai obeyed him. The younger one sat down on the grass and watched Taemin take his place. 

 

Taemin took a deep breath and waited till he heard the first tunes of the music. He smiled when he heard what the song was. This was the song he had auditioned on when trying out for SM Entertainment. He remembered the shocked faces of his fellow candidates and how good he felt at that time. He just knew he had it in the pocket. *Now look where I am.* He then thought and the smile disappeared.

He tried to empty his head and let the music flow through his head and body. Soon his body started to move without even thinking and he started dancing.

 

When he was done, he looked up to see Kai staring at him with open mouth.

 

"Was I that bad?" Taemin asked and he grinned.

 

"BAD?! Dude... You're... Jeesh, I can't even describe it. You're perfect!" Kai then said and he shook his head in disbelief. "Why didn't you audition at SM Entertainment?" He then asked.

 

"I did... I have been a trainee for two years, but unfortunately some stupid rule was made so I had to leave." Taemin whispered softly.

 

"Oh... I'm so sorry." Kai said, suddenly shy. "What was the rule? Insanely good dancing people have to leave or something like that?" He then asked and Taemin smiled. He knew Kai was just trying to lighten up the mood.

 

"No, people under 16 had to leave. Some kind of rule from the government." He explained and Kai shook his head again.

 

"They don't know what they let go. You're really good, Taemin. When you're sixteen you're just going to try out again and they will slap themselves for letting you go right now." Kai said and Taemin blushed.

 

"You're not bad either. Okay, I'll audition again on one condition: you're auditioning too." Taemin said and he saw Kai going white.

 

"I... I don't know. I'm not THAT good. And Bae-Hyun would never..." He whispered but stopped when he heard Taemin sighting.

 

"Kai, I know you're younger than me, so I'm saying this as your hyung: why the hell are you hanging out with that Bae-Hyun fellow?" Taemin said and he crossed his arms.

 

Kai sat down and gestured Taemin to come sit down next to him. Taemin sat down and stretched his legs. It was late November and very cold, but he didn't mind. He looked at Kai and waited for him to speak.

 

"That is actually a long story. You're sure you want to hear it now?" The younger one asked and Taemin nodded. He knew it was late, or better, very early, but he didn't care. He felt Kai needed a real friend right now, and he was more than happy to be that. Suddenly he realized Kai needed him as much as he needed Kai. 

*He could actually be my other side of the coin.* He thought and smiled before he focused on Kai to listen to his story.    

 

 

 


 

A/N: So, I have began to rewrite the story. I think this is way better than before. For the new readers, thanks for joining and I hope you'll enjoy it! For my old friends, hope you'll like this story too and you're still willing to read it. 

 

See you next time! ^^