Following

Language Barrier

Hey guys, so I've decided that whenever Korean is being spoken, I'll italicize it. My korean language is wimpy and it's a ton easier to do this!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Aron took the lead and I blindly followed after him. 

He gave me a slight glance backwards and his mouth opened as if he were trying to decide whether or not to say something,

I took some initiative and started first, "What?" My head cocked to where I was looking at him head on.

That comment must of made him feel more comfortable because he asked, "What year were you born?"

I gave a small smile to him and looked forward, breaking our eye contact, "1995. What about you?" I was 19 Korean age but 17 in global age. He seemed pleased with my answer.

"1993." He kept starting at me, I think trying to decide whether or not to say the next thing. "So, that makes me your Oppa."

A giggle excaped my lips, "Oppa?"

He seemed flustered and attempted to turn as to where I wouldn't be able to see his face, but I could see his ear go red. " Yeah.., that's what you would call a boy older than you..." He mumbbled out some extensive explination of honorifics that I couldn't catch all of.

I butted in gently to his panicked speech, "I know all of that already, but shouldn't I only use that if I'm really close to the person." I kept looking at him waiting for his answer.

He made a serious face and nodded his head to the point I made. Despritatly trying to think it though, he brushed his hair back. "Well..." after a few moments, his face suddenly changed to a bright smile,"Since we're going to be close eventually, you should just start calling me it now." He seemed extremly satisfied and impressed with his answer.

I gave up and nodded not knowing how to respond to that, and started laughing. Aron joined in.

                                                                                                                     ------------------

We had walked for a few blocks as he asked about things like where I was from and such. I noticed that more people seemed to appear as we walked.

"So, You said you were in a group at Pledis, what's everyone like?" He seemed excited at the mention of the group.

"We're called NU'EST, there's four other members beside me; J.R., Baekho, Minhyun, and Ren. I'm the oldest, and the others are all born in 1995, like you." We talked about this until we ened up at the company's building. 

Aron looked slightly disapointed at our arival as I was also, as he was about to say goodbye and leave I stopped him, "Oppa, do you think you could walk with me until I get to the CEO's office?"

He became a little shy at both my calling him oppa, and the fact I asked him to stay with me. He gave a bright smile and nodded in agreement.

We walked in together and he lead me to the front desk and spoke to the woman at the front desk. "She's here to see the CEO, her name is Emmi Tolen."  She looked at me and I gave her a small bow, she gave me a warm smile, nodded her head, and called up to the secretary. After a few moments she hung up and motioned for us to go up. I gave her a smile and another bow as Aron was already headed to elevator. I quickly jogged to catch up to him.

We got off on the top floor.

But right as the door opened four people were standing on the other side. I bowed as I should and they returned it. Their eyes slowly moved from me to Aron. "Who is this?" the one with short, spiked hair asked. Aron smiled and nudged me to get off the elevator by pushing me on the small of my back. I stumbled forward and now it was the six of us standing in an giant hallway.

Aron exchanged glances with everyone and stopped on me before he started, "This is my group," he motioned to each one individually, telling me their name in which I gave small bow. First was a small-built blond, "This is Ren, but his real name is MinKi," I bowed. Next was a boy with the sides of his head buzzed and the top spiked up, "This is Baekho," I bowed. Moving on, "This one is Minhyun," who was the tallest of them. I bowed. Aron motioned to the last boy whose hair was only buzzed on one side, "This is J.R. or Jonghyun," I bowed.

All of them gave me big smiles, that I returned.

Aron then turned to his group and started in Korean, "This is Emmi, she just signed on here as an actress. She was born in the same year as you, so be nice." Everyone nodded in agreement and began asking questions about me, none of which were directed at me, instead asked to Aron. I'm assuming that they guessed I didn't know any Korean. 

After a moment, I realized that I was still gross from the thirteen hour plane ride here. Seeing that I wasn't nessesary for NU'EST's conversation I said, "Oppa, I'm going to go to the bathroom to change and stuff. Thirteen hour plane rides can really make you feel gross." I giggled and he responded, "Don't I know!"

As I turned to go to the restroom, I heard from behind me, "Oppa?" they laughed as they playfully bullied Aron over how I refered to him. 

I changed in to a skirt and blouse since I was going to be meeting the CEO.

FROM:

Vyxgca9reervgtnedsnx

to

Qfcfrj10qrusdh79fleo

I also decided to side braid my hair, it was looking pretty greasy since its last wash was so long ago. I felt like I was taking a long time though and felt bad for making everyone wait for me. So, I braided my hair on my way out of the restroom.

As the door banged close behind me, all of NU'EST turned and looked at me. They all looked surprised. 

I finished out my braid after joining NU'EST who had formed a circle. I smiled at Aron, who smiled back.

They all kept staring at me. I slowly became worried that I looked weird or something.

After an awkward silence and stares, "Do I look alright?" I straighted out my skirt, fixed my posture, and looked at them hopefully.

Ren answered quickly, "Um, yeah. You look really pretty!" The rest followed Ren and gave me nods of the heads and thumbs up. I smiled and akwardly itched the back of my neck.

"Ah!" my memory caught up to me. I rummaged through my backpack searching, "I actually have really poor eye sight, so if you don't mind I'm going to put on my glasses." I found my glasses case and pulled it out, "I look really nerdy in them, so I avoid wearing them in public. Plus, I'm really scared of contacts. It's okay right?

They all nodded their heads, continously staring.

So, I put my glasses on and fixed my braid over them.

"Wow, you look good in them!" Aron said. I gave him a shy smile and my heals in the direction of the CEO's office, NU"EST followed closely after. Aron caught up to me first, then the rest were soon walking by my side.

Baekho started talking to me first, "Where did you live before you came here?"

"In Chicago, Illinois," I replied. Each member asked me questions, feeling more comfortable. Suddenly Aron stopped. The rest of us slowly came to a stop staggered in front of him.

"Wait," he said with a perplexed look, "You know Korean?" The rest of NU'EST also became shocked and looked at me.

I smiled and tilted my head, " Oh... Well, yeah, I've watched plenty of Korean dramas and variety shows. And I also intensley studied it for two years. So, yeah, I know some Korean."

They all looked at me surprised but continued to follow me once I started walking again.

This time I stopped as I realized something, "Wait, it took you that long to realize I was using Korean?" I let out a small sigh and started walking again, "That's just sad guys."

Everyone laughed.