Wondering Around

Language Barrier

I sighed and bushed my hair out of my face. Why in the world did I insist on getting to the company's building on my own?

I looked around Incheon Airport, no matter how hard I stared at the signs they did not magically turn into English... worth a shot.No matter how much I practiced Korean in the states, it's hard when there's no english translation. 

Giving up on my stupidity, I russeled my phone out of my skirt pocket and went to the map app I had and managed to type the adress of the building in. My eyes scanned over the map it brought up. "Well, I hope this is right," I mummbled to myself as I exited the airport. 

I did my best to follow the little blue line, but Korea has so many streets. I'm sure I looked ridiculus, just like a tourist would, minus the fanny pack. I would make it on the right street and so I would stop looking at my phone, but whenever I went to check it, it turns out I missed a turn three blocks ago. More than that you would think that no one had ever seen an American person, the whole time I kept hearing wispers umong ajummas, "Migook saram, migook saram." 

I let out a sigh, and my hair managed to get in my face again. I pushed it behind my ears again, this time with more anger. I have never wanted to cut my long hair off more in my life.

My body relaxed after I had given up on my anger and sat down on a bench, I placed my backpack next to me and rested my head on my hands. Looking around I found myself in a little park by what I guess is a house district. I watched the swings sway and did my best to resrain myself from going to play on them. Instead, I took my useless iPhone out again and stared at the map for a little bit longer. It said I would be there in ten minutes, lies, that's only true if you actually know where you're going.

Why didn't I let them come and pick me up?

After my little sulking/regreting fest, I pryed my self off of the bench and decided to make another go at the map. But the child inside of me got the best of me and I ran toward the swings. I plopped down on one and slowly gained more and more air. The fresh air fluttered past me, moving my hair as it went. So many memories came back from my, well I guess you could call it a "childhood". Though it was more like a "small adulthood", I had to help out my parents too much with their business for it to be called a childhood. So many formal events, business meetings, and manditory lessons for so many things took over my life. I was always expected to be the best, to understand difficult situations of why my parents were never home, of why I could never have friends my age, of why I couldn't even have a birthday party with students from my school. I accepted it all for seventeen years. 

As I came out of my flashback, I realized I had stopped swinging. My hair was stuck to my face, and I though that was probably how it felt to have facial hair. I giggled to my self with that image in my head and reached my hand up to bush it away. More than just my hair there, my face was wet. "Wow," I said to myself, "Seventeen and still thinking about useless things." I finished wiping my face and grabbed ahold of the chains of the swing and leaned back so I had a good view of the sky. I kicked my legs out to steady myself from falling over. "Almost there."

With those two words I lept up from the swing and let out a loud "YEAH!" I threw my arms out above me and smiled. As I lowered my arms I realized that another person was there. He must of came when I was spaced out. My mouth opened, trying to form words, but nothing came out. My face surely turned red because the first thing he said was, "Gwenchana?" I studied him for a little bit before answering, "De, Gwenchana." He smiled and let out a small laugh.

I stuttered out some of the Korean I knew, "Did you see it all?" And locked eyes with him hoping that he hadn't seen my seemingly bipolar emotions. 

He smiled "Mm, It was quite interesting." He kept eye contact.

I looked away from embassement and brought my hand to my face to try to cool down my cheeks descreetly. 

He stayed on the swing and motioned for me to sit on the one next to him. I wasn't too sure about listening to him. I mean in America you don't talk to strange people you meet on the street, unless you want to get killed... "killed" may be a little too drastic. But nothing good normally comes from it.

I let out a small sigh and sat. He watched me sit down and smiled. I push my hair out of my face againand rested my head on the chain of the swing.

"Is this your first time in Korea?" he asked with a little amusement in his voice.

I sighed again, seems like a little record I have going on today, "Yeah, just landed here a couple of hours ago, and managed to get myself very lost looking for the place I'm supposed to be."

"It looks like you're having a hard time," still with more amusement, at least someone is getting joy out of my misery.

I jerked my head around to look at him, my mouth hung open, "You- You're speaking english, fluently.W-where are you from?" I am so stupid. How long has he been speaking english?! Why didn't I notice?!

This time his hint of amusement turned into laughter. "We've been speaking english to each other for a while now," he was now bent over from laughter in his swing, "I'm from Los Angeles, my name is Aron." He extendend his hand. 

I met his hand and said, "Mm, my name is Emily, but I perfer Emmi." I dropped my hand and started laughing, I bushed my hair back again. "Wow, I have never been so embaressed in my life." I turned to meet his eyes, "I am sooo sorry you had to see all of that." 

Aron let out a chuckle, "It's all right. I'm sure I looked the same way when I first came here." 

Out of pure curiosity, "How long have you been here?" 

He thought about it for a moment,"Hmm, about two years... Probably."

A plan slowly schemed in to my head, "So, you know you way around pretty well, right?" I showed my best smile .

He scratched the back of his head,"Yeah..." 

I hopped out of my swing and went over to his, "So then you know where Pledis Entertainment's office is, right!?" I held is hand, hoping he would take me there. Even though I don't know him well, I need someone to lean on for now and he knows english, and I can't think of any other options.

He looked suprised, "Pledis?" I physically deflated, he didn't know.

I let his hand go and went back over to my swing, "I am never going to get there," As I looked at my watch it read 3:02."Man, I was supposed to be there at two." This time when my hair fell back into my face I shoved it back and contained it in a ponytail holder.

I looked over at Aron and his mouth was agape. I was confused, "What?"

He managed to get out, "Why do you need to go to Pledis?"

I thought for a while, was it okay to tell him? "Well, I just signed on as an actress there." I continued, "Why?"

He showed a smile again, "Because I'm in a music unit there, Nu'est. So I guess that makes me your sunbae." He let out another chuckle." If you need to get there I'll be more than happy to you." He stood up and pulled me up with him.

Wait, what just happened.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, that's the end of this chapter. I hope you all enjoy it and I'll try to work on this faithfully. I am planning to bring in more boy bands and possibly some girl groups. Annyeong!!! :)