Memories

Necklace

Since then, Nana took more effort in teaching Soo Young. "This is called an apple", "1+1=2", she would often say to the kid. It was definitely no doubt that Soo Young turned out to be an overly-mature kid too. As Soo Young grew up, some other orphans decided to 'interact' with her. Or rather, they just did not like how Nana interacted much less with them ever since she came.

Dragging her to the corner of a room and closing the door, they started to teach Soo Young a lesson. While one of them made sure Soo Young did not run away, others took out their weapons - rulers and eggs that they took from the refrigerator. They got this idea from dramas, where the kids will be hit on the palm with a ruler when they did something wrong and where performers would be thrown eggs at and stink after that. Though those were faces Soo Young has seen quite often, she was terrified, but dared not scream.

"This is what you get from taking Jin away from us." they said. As they started to hit her with the rulers and throw eggs at her, someone barged into the room.

"What are you all doing?? Why are you all hurting her?!" All of them stopped what they were doing.

"Jin, ever since this girl came, you've been practically ignoring us! Aren't we your friends too?" Jin Ah ignored them.  She walked to the now-crying Soo Young, took her hand and stomped out of the room. She took out a new set of clothes for Soo Young and brought the latter to the bathroom. Before helping her clean up, she gave the girl a tight hug, ignoring the smell of raw eggs.

"Why did you stand there without running away?" she asked, receiving no reply but sobs. After a while, she told Soo Young, "Take off your clothes," who obeyed. She started helping the poor girl wash up. With the help of the older one, in no time the raw egg smell was gone. Giving a kiss on Soo Young's cheek, she told her, "I'm sorry."

Placing Soo Young on her bed, she told the latter, "Wait here. I'm going to wash up. If they come and disturb you again, run to any of the caretakers!" Soo Young nodded. "Thank you, Unnie."

***

This day, it was the official day that Soo Young would turn two. The caretakers prepared a birthday cake for her. Everyone was in high spirits and sang the birthday song loudly for her. That day was the first day in a while that Soo Young felt so happy. That day, she received many birthday wishes from the fellow orphans. As they could not afford presents, only the caretakers gave her a present - a teddybear. She thanked everyone profusely.

After the celebration, Jin Ah took her to one of the caretakers. "Unnie, I would like to take a photo with her." It was a birthday thing in the orphanage. Birthday girls are entitled to one free polariod photo. On other days, taking a photo would require one to work for it. It was to teach them not to take things for granted, and that they have to work for what they want.

"Unnie, take two please. One for her, and one for me. I will help wash the dishes later on."

"Okay sure Jin Ah."

And there, two polariod photos of the two kids came out. Receiving both from the caretaker, she wrote a few words behind, 'Soo Young, Happy 2nd Birthday! I love you." She then turned to the little girl who was sitting at the same bench as her. "Take this photo, Soo Young. Keep it well. It's my birthday present to you."

"Thank you Jin Unnie!"

"Hahah, from now on you can call me Jin only! And remember, Jin will protect you forever."

"Mmhmm! Okay Jin Unnie!"

"Come, let's go to the dining table!" With their hands interlocked, they walked into the orphanage. After dinner, both of them sat together again before lights out. 

"Jin Unnie, can I ask you something?"

"Sure Soo Young, anything you want." she replied with a smile. "And I told you, there's no need to be so polite, just call me Jin will do."

"Hehehe it's a habit unnie. Anyway, when's your birthday?"

"14th September. Why?"

"I'll remember that date unnie. It's the day you, an angel, were born."

"Hmm, then I'll remember 31st July, the day that this cute little kiddo was born."

"Yay unnie I love you! Unnie, may I ask you another thing?"

"Yes?"

"Where are my parents? And yours too, and everyone here? When I watch dramas they always have parents, why don't we have any?"

"Soo Young ah, maybe you're too young to understand this, but the people here all don't have parents because of one reason or another. Like mine, my parents passed away from an accident." Jin Ah said with some pauses in between to calm herself down.

"I-I'm sorry unnie."

"It's okay."

"What about mine?"

"I don't know Soo Young. But some things are better if you don't know it." Jin Ah replied. She decided it was too soon to let the girl know everything.

"Okay."

"Girls! Lights out in a minute's time!" the caretakers shouted.

Tucking Soo Young in her bed, Jin Ah said, "Go to sleep, Soo Young. Happy Birthday again! Goodnight."

"Goodnight unnie!"

 

==

 

Chapter 2 is here ^^ Thanks for reading and subcribing! (: