Together

Necklace

They sat down on the swing, facing the beauty of the scenery of the garden right in front of them.

"So, Sooyoung, how has life been for you since.... that day?" Nana cautiously asked, unsure if Lizzy had been leading a good life.

"You want an honest answer?"

"Of course."

"Bad."

"Why?" Lizzy did not reply for a while. "Nevermind if you don't want to say."

"No, it's okay unnie. I'm sorry for being hesitant. That day, after you left, I hardly spoke a word to anyone. Not till months later, when I got adopted too. I thought I'd have a happy life, like you looked like you would, but turns out I was wrong."

"Why wrong?"

"My parents often neglected me, they barely cared about me, other than for academics. They'd punish me hard for not doing well in studies. In primary school, I was often bullied, but they did not care."

"Is that why you've got a few scars here... and there?"

Lizzy nodded her head. "Canings, plus bullied experiences."

Nana paused for a moment. She was not sure of what to say. "I'm sorry, Sooyoung."

"Why?"

"If I didn't leave, perhaps you wouldn't be in this situation."

"Don't be, Jin unnie. On the bright side, I learnt to be stronger. And now that I've met you, I'm determined to protect you like how you took care of me when I was younger. And that, is my promise to you."

Nana smiled. The small cute little kiddo she took care of actually promised to protect her. "Thank you, Sooyoung-ah."

Lizzy smiled back. "How about you, Jin unnie? How has life been?"

"My parents are nice. But for years and years, I felt so sorry for leaving you. Especially on your birthday, I will miss you especially much. I do fine in school, except the experience with Chanyeol, as I've told you earlier."

"Oh." There was a slight awkward moment of silence.

"Anyway, Jin unnie, look!" Lizzy took out her wallet and showed Nana an envelope. "Open up and see!"

Nana opened the envelope and a necklace slid out, landing perfectly in her hands. This necklace triggered overwhelming emotions in Nana. Tears filled her eyes.

"Don't be sad, unnie! I believe this is the necklace that brings us together. And of course, this is the necklace which your parents gave to you. So here I am, returning it to you."

Nana dried her tears. "No, Sooyoung. I want you to keep it. I gave it to you, so take care of it well. I'm thankful that you still have it with you."

"Of course I do! Other than school times, I wear it every day! I even still have the letter."

"So do I, Sooyoung." She took out the letter to prove what she had just said.

"Hahah yay I love you unnie!" She 'pounced' on Nana, giving her a hug.

"Chill haha. Oh Sooyoung, one last important thing to tell you before we go."

"What's that?"

"Remember in the letter, I told you I'd tell you the truth about your parents if we met again?"

"Mmhmm. I still remember, just didn't want to ask."

"But.. you really want to know? I don't want you to feel sad."

"Just tell me, unnie."

"Alright, I trust that you're mature enough. Your parents.... they abandoned you."

"What? Why?" It was like the truth had triggered the inner tap in Lizzy, as tears began falling non-stop. It was Nana's turn to give her a hug.

"I know you feel terrible now. Just cry it all out, Sooyoung-ah."

Lizzy cried even harder. She shouted, "Am I not good enough? Why don't they want me?"

Nana did not reply. She just tightened the hug. And they stayed in that position, until Lizzy calmed down.

"I guess I'm just not lovable." she concluded.

"Don't think like that." Nana kissed her on the forehead, like what she did on the day which she left.

"Promise me something else Sooyoung." Lizzy looked at her with eyes that sent the message, 'What?'

"Be happy, and your safety and happiness comes before mine."

"I'll be happy, as for the second one-"

"Please?"

"Okay unnie. Promise me you'll be happy too."

"I will."

They sat on the swing, reminiscing their past. After a while, Lizzy looked up at Nana. Holding her hand, she said, "Thank you Jin unnie. For telling me the truth."

 

~~~~

Finally, an update! Decided to spend some time on this today, though I think it's a bit dry :x I'm so sorry for not updating for quite some time :( But school has really been busy for me and it will continue to be for at least two more months before the amount of activities start to die down a little. So I apologise in advance for the really slow updating! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! :)