The Present

Necklace

Nana teared as these memories. It has been 10 years since then. The date is 31 July. In a year, it would be this day that Nana cried the most. Kahi, seeing her adopted daughter crying once again, came in to comfort her.

"Thinking about Soo Young again?" Nana nodded.

"Nana-ya, the reason why Jungah and I decided to call you by another name is because we hope you will stop hurting so much. We want you to start a new life, under the name of Nana."

"I know, but I can't h-help it, appa. Everytime, especially on this date, I will remember her. My heart always aches so hard; I left her crying and screaming like that. I wonder how she's doing now."

"She'll be living well, Nana."

"I hope so.."

***

"Class, we have a new student today. Her name is Park Lizzy."

"Hello, my name is Park Lizzy. My family shifted from Busan to Seoul, so I transferred here. Hope you all can take good care of me." Her introduction was responded by a round of applause.

"Lizzy, please sit next to Raina. Raina, do bring Lizzy around and help her familiarize." Lizzy sat down in the empty table next to Raina.

"Hello Lizzy, I'm Raina. I heard you're '92 liner, so that makes me three years older. Our class has a mixture of ages as we all start school at different ages."

"Hello Raina unnie. I see. Please take care of me well then!"

That lesson, Lizzy could not pay attention. This blonde girl in class just caught her attention. And it felt as if they were related in some way. During break, she decided to ask Raina. "Unnie, may I ask, who's that blonde girl in our class?"

"Ah. She's Im Nana. Real name Im Jin Ah. '91-liner. Beautiful right? She has a lot of admirers, and anyone who tried to hurt her will get punished by our music and dance teachers, since they're her parents. So she's not scared of anyone, except Chanyeol and his gang. No one knows why."

"I see.. She's really pretty." She has the exact same name as Jin Ah. And age. Could she be the one?

Lizzy opened her wallet. On the side corner was a small envelope, it had pretty designs on it.

"Lizzy-ah, what's that?"

"Hmm... it's an envelope to contain a necklace given to me by someone special. I usually wear it every time, but since it's school I don't."

"Ah~ Boyfriend?"

"No! Just a friend, one that's as close as a sister."

"Oh I see."

"Recess is over soon, let's go back now!" Both of them went back to the classroom.

"Good Morning class." Their literature teacher said. "I see there's a new student today. I'll repeat my rules then. No talking in my class. No using of electronic devices. Lastly, remember to bring your textss. First time you'll just receive a warning. Second time onwards, you'll have to copy out whatever we go through that day." Lessons were normal that day.

However, the feeling Lizzy felt was not stopping. She was sure she and Nana had a special connection. Even if they did not, she had this desire to be Nana's close friend. 'Im Jin Ah..... '91 liner.... What's this special feeling? Maybe I should just try asking her. It doesn't hurt anyway.' she thought.

Lizzy's POV

After school, I hastily walked up to Nana before she walked out of the classroom. "Excuse me.."

"Yes?"

"Are you... by any chance.. from Orange Caramel Orphanage?"

"No, why? I've got parents."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Before I finished my apology, she walked away. She had tears in her eyes, what was happening.

Nana's POV

"Excuse me.."

"Yes?" I replied, after seeing the new girl.

"Are you.. by any chance.. from Orange Caramel Orphanage?"

I felt my heart hurt as the memories of Soo Young came rushing through my mind again. "No, why? I've got parents."

"Oh, I'm-" I walked away, not wanting to let her see my tears. I rushed to the toilet as more tears threatened to fall. My best friend, Jooyeon, and my sister, UEE, came running after me. They knew I was hurting so much at this point.. Putting both my hands on the sink, I looked down as the tears simply fell. The moment I found out I was going to leave the orphanage. The moment when Soo Young was screaming her lungs off whlie I walked off. All these made me so upset. 

"Nana.. Are you okay?" UEE asked, giving me a back hug. I did not respond, all I did was continue crying.

"Nana-ya, if you wanna go home and rest I'll just let your appa know, then you can skip CCA." Jooyeon offered. I shook my head. As far as I needed to find Soo Young again to stop my heart from aching, I will not let such stuff affect my life too much.

Lizzy's POV

While walking to the gate, I cannot hold it in anymore. The guilt I felt was overwhelming. 

"Raina.. Why is she in such a rush? Why was she tearing up?"

"I don't know either. Only Jooyeon and UEE knows. She gets really sensitive at such topic."

"Now I feel so bad.. I havent even apologise yet.."

"You can do that tomorrow, Lizzy-ah."

"Yeah, sure I will. Thank you so much Raina unnie! I hope we'll become better friends from now on."

"Yup, sure we will."

"Bye Unnie!"

"Bye Lizzy-ah."

We then parted our ways.

***

Next day, Lizzy approached Nana the moment she went into the classroom.

"Hey.." she said, eyes almost filled with tears. The guilt had been eating her up since yesterday. "I'm sorry for yesterday.."

Truthfully, Nana did not intend to talk to Lizzy again. But seeing how guilty and regretful she felt, Nana softened. With a smile, she said, "It's okay, don't cry. I'm okay." 

Lizzy smiled back, blinking fast in an attempt to dry her tears. The smile she had just received reminded her so much of Jin Ah. On the other hand, she was so glad she had not caused Nana to feel terribly sad.

 

===

An update to end the day ^^ I'll be travelling on bus a lot, so depending on my mood and brain there might be a lot of updates (but that might mean this story won't last v long ): )