The Departure

Necklace

Two years down the road, both of them had formed an unbelievably close friendship. One day, Jin Ah was told to meet one of the caretakers after dinner.

"Jin Ah, there are people who want to adopt you. They will come to get you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? So soon? Can Soo Young leave with me too?"

"Jin Ah, you know the answer don't you?"

"But we can't live without each other!"

"Get ready by 10am tomorrow."

"Ne Unnie."

Jin Ah left the room. She did not want to leave Soo Young, but she had no choice. Walking into her section, she asked Soo Young, "Soo Young ah, can you accompany me to the swing?"

"Sure Unnie!"

Once they sat down on the swing, Jin Ah kept absolutely silent, until the silence was too unbearable for Soo Young. "Unnie, are you alright?" That one question triggered all the emotions and Jin Ah began crying her eyes out.

"Unnie, why are you crying? Please don't cry! I hate to see you cry!" Soo Young said, flustered at the reaction her question received.

After calming herself down, she held Soo Young's hands in hers. Looking right into the latter's eyes, she said, "Soo Young, what I'm going to tell you is going to be hard to accept for you, but promise me you won't cry like me."

"Unnie what is it?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow morning. Someone wants to adopt me."

Surpressing her tears to keep her promise, she asked, "Does that mean I won't see you again?" Nana swallowed hard and nodded her head.

"But I don't want you to leave Unnie! What am I going to do without you? How can I lose you? You're the only one I have!"

"I don't wanna leave either, but I have no choice Soo Young."

"No.. This can't be happening.. You're joking, right?"

"I'm not, Soo Young."

"I DONT WANT YOU TO LEAVE!!" She shouted. Not allowing Jin Ah to reply again, she stood up and ran away. Jin Ah found her in her bed with the blanket all over her body, and she decided not to agitate the little girl anymore. She then went to her bed, and with much difficulty, fell asleep.

Soo Young's POV

I hid under my blanket, not wanting Jin Ah to know that I'm crying. I don't want to sleep, not when Jin Unnie will be leaving the day I open my eyes. Reaching out for a piece of paper and a pencil, I started writing. After I finished my letter, I was so tired from crying that I just fell asleep.

***

No one's POV

"Soo Young ah, wake up!" She opened her eyes and was greeted by the two loving eyes of Jin Ah.

"It's the last time I'm waking you up. I'm leaving soon, bye."

"Wait Unnie! I've got something for you!"

"So have I." She replied with a smile. Jin Ah started first. She took out a letter, together with a necklace. "This is my letter to you." She said, stuffing the piece of paper into Soo Young's hands. "And this, is a necklace given to me by my parents last time." She put the necklace on the girl.

"Unnie, why are you giving something so significant to me?"

"Just because."

"Unnie, here's my letter to you." 

"Thank you Sooyoungie, I will treasure it. Unnie's leaving now, byebye."

"Jin Unnie.." Soo Young was tearing again. Bending down slightly, Jin Ah wiped the tears away. "Remember, don't cry." She gave Soo Young a kiss on the forehead and caressed her hair.

"Unnie's leaving now." She stood up, carried her belongings and walk away.

"Jin you ready?"

"Yup."

"These are the people who are adopting you." Jin Ah looked up. She felt thankful as both of them looked nice.

"Let's go." As she left, she could evidently hear the cries and screams of Soo Young, but she did not look back as she wanted to seem strong at least in front of Soo Young.

In the car, Jin Ah kept crying. She opened the letter that Soo Young wrote.

Jin Unnie, I still can't accept the fact you're leaving. Nonetheless, thank you for teaching and caring for me throughout these two to three years. I still remember when I first entered, you were the only one who cared for me. That wasn't too long ago, but now we are parting. I hope we will meet again Unnie. I will miss you so much. Thank you so much. Im sorry for always being a troublesome bother. Please be happy in your new house. I love you.

She cried harder after reading it. She decided to keep the letter forever. On the other hand, Soo Young read Jin Ah's letter too.

Sooyoung-ah, Unnie is leaving. Please be strong and happy, and healthy too. Thank you for being born, you added a lot of happiness to my life. Take good care of yourself! I'm sorry that I have to leave and cause you so much hurt, but such things are unavoidable so I hope you'd make new friends and get on with life. I will remember you forever. I'm also sorry that I didn't tell you the truth about your parents. I really don't want to hurt you. Please keep the necklace well. If we ever meet next time, this shall be how we recognize each other and if we happen to meet, I will tell you the truth about your parents. Please, for your own sake, move on.

After reading it, all the more Soo Young cried. She cried for hours straight, refusing to talk to anyone. From that day on, she was alone every time. This really affected her a lot. She had very little appetite, and could not sleep without a goodnight kiss. She woke up really late every day.

===

 

third chapter ^^ updating more since it's the weekends and I'm pretty free :)