The Meeting

Necklace

Hiding a pillar, Jin Ah secretly eavesdropped on the conversation between two caretakers. 

"That is the new girl, named Park Soo Young. She's only about one to two year old, her parents abandoned her."

"Why? She's such a pretty girl."

"Well I'm not sure either."

One of the caretakers walked towards the girl. "Hello!" she said. The girl simply stared, eyes filled with fear from the greeting of an unfamiliar person.

"Oh, c'mon. She doesn't know how to talk."

"Oh, why didn't you tell me? and why not?" she turned back to the girl. "Hi, this is your new home from now on. I'll bring you to your bed."

Jin Ah then returned to her section too. That girl is pitiful. Such a cute girl. Why would the parents not want her?

==

Entering the section, one of Jin Ah's friends, several years older, came to her. 

"Hi Jin Ah!"

"Hello." she replied with a smile and went to her bed.

"Reading again?"

"Mmhmm."

"You should stop reading so much. Your vocabulary is so much more than mine now that I'm starting to feel ashamed."

"Well, read more then." 

As she looked up to look at her friend, something caught her eye. She kept staring and staring, unable to look away.

"Whatchu staring at? Ah. That girl. She's new. And young. And she can't talk yet so no one bothers about her."

Jin Ah put down her book. "Well, I'll be the first one then."

She sat next to the girl, who was sitting there looking down on the floor.

"Hello, I heard your name's Soo Young."

The girl looked up and shifted slightly away upon seeing Jin Ah. Unable to express herself, her eyes were once again filled with tears. She was afraid of Jin Ah. She could not do anything. She felt lonely. All these emotions overwhelmed her. Unsure of why the little girl she said hi to was tearing, she pulled the girl into a hug. Though Soo Young was scared, there was just this sense of security in the hug which made her not want to pull away. She attempted to speak, which ended up as random "ba"s.

They stayed in that position until someone called out to Jin Ah. "Jin! It's time for dinner!" She was about to walk off when she noticed that the little girl was not moving. Well, she did not know what to do.

"C'mon let's go. Mum mum you know?" She extended her hand. Hesitating slightly, Soo Young eventually took the hand. Once she reached the table, she got a friend to carry the kid onto the chair and sat next to her.

"Woah Jin, when did you get so close to this kiddo?"

"Just now." She smiled. Being an overgrown, mature kid, she started eating on her own once dinner was served. Halfway through, it suddenly dawned on her that Soo Young did not know how to eat and somehow no one was serving her. Putting her own meal aside, she turned to the girl. 

"I'll help you," she said, picking up the spoon. Recalling how her parents - before they passed away from an accident - fed her, she tried feeding the kid. "The aero plane is here!" She moved the spoon as if it was an aero plane and "flew" it into . Well, yes it did work for feeding her, but it unknowingly made her cry.

"Hey Jin, what's wrong?" 

"Uhm, nothing." She quickly finished feeding the kid, then finishing her own meal in a rush. She left the table early, with Soo Young following her.

She sat on her bed, and Soo Young sat next to her. Tears started running down her cheeks, making Soo Young stare at her with care and concern. Those eyes carried the message "Why are you crying?". Nana simply continued crying. This time, Soo Young initiated a hug. After a while, Jin Ah stopped crying.

"I'm sorry," she took Soo Young's hand and brought her to her bed. "Lights out soon, good night and sweet dreams." She gave her a kiss on the forehead. Just as she was about to walk away, she felt a tug at her shirt.

She turned around and was greeted by two pleadings eyes. Somehow she could understand the girl. "Want me to sleep with you? Okay." She walked to her bed to get her boaster and slid into the bed next to Soo Young. She knew how Soo Young felt at that time. All of them did. The first night of being there was just too terrifying.

"Everything will be alright," she whispered. Although she was very tired, she waited for Soo Young to finally fall asleep then she slept.

It was the same thing every day. No matter where and when, Jin Ah would be together with Soo Young. They formed a special bond and treated each other like real sisters.

One day, about a month before Soo Young's birthday, something happened. 

"Hello Soo Young!" As usual, Jin Ah would find her the first thing in the morning.

Unknowingly, two words came out of Soo Young's mouth. "Jin Unnie!"

Jin Ah stood there, frozen. "D-did you j-just call me?"

Soo Young nodded. Jin Ah was so happy that she cried. "You can finally speak, Soo Young!"