Chapter 5

➤ EVERYTHING IN TRANSIT

 

 

“I want you to stay in the Book Attic,” was the first thing Luhan told him when they reached the Attic the next morning. Yixing couldn’t help but gape at him in surprise, not at all expecting the idol to allow him to stay since he seemed adamant about having the Attic. Yixing didn’t blame him since it rightfully should belong to Luhan, but it didn’t stop him from feeling a little upset.

 

“Really...?” he asked doubtfully, trying not to let the desperate hope show on his face.

 

Luhan raised his shoulder slightly in a shrug but Yixing was conscious of the way he was examining his expression, as if determining Yixing’s worthiness to remain in the book café. “Yes,” Luhan said finally, turning away to flick on the lights in the store. “As my employee. I’m still the boss, of course. I’m an idol. I can’t possibly be seen serving customers.”

 

Ah. Yixing blinked away the tiny seed of disappointment planted in the pit of his stomach. That made some sense. He didn’t really know what he was expecting, but the fact that he was relegated from being in charge to having to answer to someone was a bit... humiliating. The book café was his everything but all he was to it now was just another staff.

 

Nevertheless, Yixing wasn’t going to turn it down. Frankly, he didn’t know what else he could do if he wasn’t working in a bookstore, especially since it was a known fact that he was a famous trot singer’s adopted son. Yixing didn’t want to embarrass her by taking up a job in some lesser known establishment.

 

“Thanks,” he mumbled and did his best not to stare at Luhan counting the money at the cashier counter. He was fine doing that by himself but now Luhan didn’t trust him with the money?

 

Thankfully the bell on the door jingled, distracting him from his train of thought. Looking up to greet their first customer of the day, Yixing’s lips pulled into a wide smile upon seeing that it was Kris. He must be here to check on him after last night. Yixing couldn’t remember much of what happened except that he was really drunk and he woke up this morning in his bed so he gathered Kris must have sent him home. He should buy him a meal to thank him.

 

"Wow, you are actually here before 10am," Yixing teased with wide eyes, feigning surprise. "Did your roof fall in or your kitchen catch fire?"

 

A muffled giggle behind Kris drew Yixing's attention. His eyes flickered from the blushing tall man to a slender woman behind him, hair so long and soft it'd make Rapunzel jealous.

 

"This is Nana," Kris introduced smilingly, sensing the curious stare from Yixing. "Met her last night in the pub and we hit it off. She woke me up for coffee and you make the best coffee so..." He shrugged helplessly before turning to the woman. "This is Yixing, my best friend–"

 

Kris rattled on about how they met but Yixing wasn't listening anymore. The smile froze on his lips before fading into nothing. Kris met her last night? Why didn't Yixing remember – or see her? There was no reason for her to wake him up either unless... unless she slept at his place. His chest tightened and his insides twisted as if someone decided to do tie a Sailor's Knot on it.

 

"T-take a seat at the cafe," he told them, interrupting Kris' monologue of how wonderful he was. Yixing wanted to punch himself for stammering, then punch Kris. If he thought he was so great, why wasn't he dating him? "I just need to stock up on some books. Be with you in a bit."

 

Without looking back, he hurried into the storeroom, moving so quickly and blindly he nearly tripped over a carton he left there for Luhan a few nights ago. Yixing collapsed onto the sealed carton and lowered his head into his hands. All his life, he only had eyes for Kris. The 4 years they had been friends, Yixing didn't date anyone because he had hoped for something more than friendship with Kris. Yixing thought it was the same reason his best friend remained single either.

 

He had already lost the book cafe. He was losing Kris. What more did he have to give up?

 

 

***

 

 

Luhan's eyelid had been jumping the entire morning. Despite his lack of belief in superstitions, he couldn't help thinking that this was a bad sign. He shut one eye in annoyance and yanked the cashier drawer open to count the money when the door opened and in walked Kris and the he disappeared with last night.

 

Narrowing his eyes at the taller man, he completely ignored the woman who was distractedly looking at him while listening to Kris. Airhead. Luhan's eyes flickered over to Yixing, whose eyes were so large and expressive he wondered how was it that the supposed best friend didn't notice. Either way, it was none of his business. The stuffy feeling in his chest was probably the result of a bad breakfast.

 

Yet when he shut the cashier drawer, Luhan glanced at the café and noticed the look of concern on Kris’ face. He checked his watch and frowned at the storeroom. Was Yixing still in there?

 

Ignoring the few customers who were filing into the book café, Luhan slid off the counter platform in search of his foster brother. One glance at Yixing huddled in the corner of the storeroom brought back the stuffy feeling and for a second, he was struck with the temptation to go back out and whack Kris.

 

He nudged Yixing’s foot with his shoe awkwardly, unsure how to fix the atmosphere. “Hey. What’s taking you so long? There are people outside.” Yixing straightened, but still did not look up at Luhan.

 

“Sorry, I’ll come right away.” His voice broke and with it, Luhan’s resolve hardened. He stormed out of the storeroom and right towards Kris and his new woman, two fingers tapping hard on Kris’ shoulder.

 

“We’re closing the store for the day. Get your coffee elsewhere,” the idol said snappishly, not even giving them the chance to react before he went around the store to chase the rest of the customers out. By the time Yixing stepped out of the storeroom, Luhan had already switched off all the lights and flicked the ‘OPEN’ sign over to ‘CLOSED’.

 

“… What’s going on?” Yixing asked in bewilderment. “Why are we closing?”

 

“Something came up,” replied Luhan curtly. “Let’s go.”

 

 

***

 

 

Yixing eyed the popcorn box and Coca Cola in Luhan’s hands blankly before looking up at the idol, who had his signature pair of sunglasses covering his face. He glanced around them uncomfortably but the few people milling about the cinema were not paying them attention. He didn’t understand why they were in a cinema, but perhaps there was something important going on in the theatre Luhan was taking him to?

 

Yet when he sat down next to the idol in the theatre’s prime seats, the lights dimmed and trailers started playing onscreen. He blinked again.

 

“We are watching a movie?” he asked dumbly.

 

“Yep.”

 

“We closed shop for a movie?”

 

“Yep.”

 

Yixing’s mouth opened and closed a few times. He wasn’t sure what to say. He glanced around the theatre with a frown. “There’s no one here.”

 

Luhan stretched his legs for a moment before placing them over the seat in front of him. “I booked the whole theatre,” he said casually, offering Yixing some popcorn which the latter took perplexedly. “We’re going to stay here until 7 then go home.”

 

“Oh.” Yixing munched thoughtfully on the popcorn, not quite processing Luhan’s words until a minute too late. He sat up straight just as the movie started playing onscreen and stared at Luhan.

 

“We closed the store for an entire day to watch a movie!?” he repeated, flailing his arms and nearly hitting the pack of popcorn. Yixing couldn’t quite see in the dark but he could have sworn Luhan was rolling his eyes.

 

“We are going to watch several movies,” Luhan corrected and added under his breath, “You’re not very bright, are you?” He ed the popcorn into Yixing’s hands and gestured for him to eat. “I’m the boss now. You do what I tell you to.”

 

Well, Yixing couldn’t argue with that logic, even if he didn’t quite understand the sudden decision to visit the cinema. He settled back into his seat comfortably and ate the popcorn absently, quietly watching the movies next to Luhan.

 

They were in their fifth movie when a very, very familiar face appeared onscreen and judging from the swearing next to him, Yixing could tell his guess was right.

 

He grinned sideways at Luhan. “Hey, I didn’t know you do movies too. You look cute there with that bowl cut,” Yixing teased before bursting out in laughter as the Luhan onscreen started warbling off-tune underneath a balcony à la Romeo and Juliet. He was laughing so hard his shoulders were shaking and all that came out of him were snorts. This was possibly the worst image he had seen of Luhan; every other article or fantaken photo had shown the idol in his most perfect angelic state.

 

Vaguely aware that Luhan was watching him intently, Yixing’s laughter quickly died. He turned to the other warily, afraid to have offended him, and struggled to find the right words to apologise.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean—”

 

Salted popcorn spilled onto the ground, risking the danger of being stepped on. A melodramatic soundtrack made of violins and cellos played in the background. Onscreen, the lead actor barely missed getting hit by a truck after racing through busy roads to get to the female lead. The words were dramatic and heart-wrenchingly sweet but nothing was getting to Yixing. All that occupied his head was how much he felt like he was in a movie scene of his own.

 

Luhan’s lips were soft and warm, gently pressed against his in a long, drugging kiss that left him breathless. The kiss sent tingles all the way down to his toes, leaving Yixing a little light-headed. Were kisses supposed to make him feel like this? He didn’t know since he was never kissed before.  Yixing looked at the idol with wide eyes but he couldn’t tell what Luhan was thinking. His face was unreadable, lit only by the flickering lights on the theatre screen.

 

At least the lack of light in the theatre prevented Luhan from seeing his flushed cheeks. Yixing chewed on his lower lip shyly, uncertain of what to say. “Um,” he started, but the movie playing ended just then and the loud soundtrack covered over his voice. Yixing leaned in to whisper in Luhan’s ear but the other man recoiled from him as the theatre started to light up. The look of revulsion on Luhan’s face stunned Yixing into immobilisation and it occurred to him later that the impact of Luhan’s next words hurt amplitudes more than seeing Kris with that woman.

 

“I’m not as dim-witted as you,” he hissed and stood up from the chair with a fierce glare. “You can’t be so pathetic to think I’ll fall for you.”

 

Yixing’s gaze dropped to the ground as Luhan stormed out of the theatre. His ribs hurt as if someone’s gigantic hand was squeezing on it and compared to the light-headedness he felt earlier, all he felt now was nausea. Did he misread the situation? The kiss? What was wrong with him? Was he just a burden to everyone?

 


 

A/N: I was so surprised to see more than 20 comments! ;____; Thanks, guys.