Chapter 10

➤ EVERYTHING IN TRANSIT

 

 

He couldn’t do it. Not when Luhan was smiling so brilliantly at him that his eyes twinkled. Yixing wanted to be selfish. He didn’t want to break up with Luhan. Was it so wrong of him to want something for himself?

 

Yixing swallowed the words and instead offered him a feeble smile. “How did you know I was working here anyway?”

 

The idol lifted his shoulder in a casual shrug as he easily navigated the Porshe out of the business district. “Kris told Sehun who told me,” Luhan said, wrinkling his nose a little. His voice sounded a little unhappy but Yixing wondered if perhaps he was just reading too much into it. “Must be nice working with Kris eh?”

 

Nope, it seemed like Yixing’s speculation was right. Leaning towards Luhan as far as his seatbelt allowed him, Yixing nudged the other with his elbow. The corners of his lips stretched across his face as he turned to the other man. “Are you jealous?” he teased.

 

Much to his surprise, Luhan nodded. “Yes, I am,” he said brusquely. “Let me warn you – I don’t like to share.”

 

The words sounded possessive but Yixing found that he really didn’t mind. He liked it actually, the fact that he belonged to someone. He smiled stupidly down at his lap, hoping that the music in the car covered over the sounds of his racing heartbeat.

 

There had to be some way to get around Bi Ren’s request.

 

“Luhan...” he trailed off. “I might not be able to see you so much after today.” Worried that the idol might fly into a tantrum (because face it, he had some anger issues), Yixing quickly added, “I want to put my all into my new job especially since I haven’t worked with other people before... so I’ll be busy.”

 

Luhan took the chance to study Yixing when the Porshe had to stop at a red light. His eyes seemed like they could see into his thoughts, and Yixing had to force himself not to squirm underneath that stare.

 

“It isn’t because you want to spend time with that Kris person, is it?”

 

What? Yixing looked at him blankly before a grin threatened to form on his lips. Can he act even more jealous? “Okay, I get that you weren’t kidding when you said you didn’t like to share,” he said in amusement and chuckled softly. “And no, it’s not because of Kris.”

 

“Fine,” Luhan muttered grumpily. “I’ll leave you alone for one week. That’s enough time for you to settle down, right?”

 

One week? How was he supposed to find a solution in one week? Yixing gulped inwardly and forced a smile on his lips before he nodded, but Luhan wasn’t finished.

 

“I want you to call me every night too alright?” the idol huffed. “Sing me to sleep.”

 

Yixing blinked rapidly at the request, not realising that his jaw had fallen until Luhan reached over to close it and brushed his lips over his. “Y-you want me to sing? Again?” he stammered.

 

“Why?” Luhan arched an eyebrow. “You’ve done it in public. It’s not so difficult to sing over the phone, is it?” Yixing must have an uncertain expression on his face because the next moment, Luhan had his hands off the steering wheel and reached over to cup Yixing’s face with both hands. Thank god the car was already in the carpark or Yixing would have a panic attack at how reckless the idol always was. He lost his train of thought, however, when Luhan pressed his lips tenderly against him, sending his heart fluttering at how gentle the other man was.

 

“You need to have a little more confidence in yourself, Yixing,” Luhan murmured. “I like your voice.”

 

His cheeks felt hot at the compliment and he would have ducked his head if Luhan let him. Reluctantly, Yixing nodded, hiding the fact that he was actually really happy to hear those words from the idol. He had only waited years for his foster mother to say the same thing to him.

 

Dinner had been non-eventful, safe for Luhan’s insistence on being fed. Thank goodness the restaurant manager recognised Luhan and provided them a private room because Yixing was starting to think Luhan had no sense of propriety sometimes. The bigger problem came when they were leaving the restaurant, when Luhan wanted to send Yixing home.

 

“You really don’t have to,” Yixing told him offhandedly even though he was freaking out. He wasn’t good at lying! “I’m not ready for Uncl – my father –” he corrected. “—to meet you. Things are still a little... tense at home.”

 

Luhan didn’t seem convinced at all by this argument. “At least let me drop you off somewhere near,” he said with a frown and Yixing had to give in at the sight of that pout.

 

After Luhan had unwillingly let him out the car 2 houses away, Yixing went on his way towards the Palace. It was nearly 11pm when he finally reached the house and thankfully, it seemed quiet. He really didn’t feel like recounting his day to Uncle Zhang, even if it hadn’t been that bad. It was weird, how he used to really like Uncle Zhang when he was just a customer, and now things were just... awkward whenever he saw him now.

 

Dropping his backpack onto the floor of his bedroom, Yixing plonked facedown onto his bed tiredly. He closed his eyes briefly, wanting to take a short 5 minutes nap before he went to shower, but a click at the door immediately caught his attention. Yixing turned warily to find Bi Ren in his room, door shut behind her.

 

“You think you’re really clever, huh?” she hissed. His eyes widened; did she find out about him and Luhan? He thought he was being careful! “First, you become an intern in the company,” she continued, “Then the next step is to take over, isn’t it? If you think this will earn Father’s trust then... then think again!”

 

So this was what it was about. He nearly breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“It’s not my intention at all to take over the company,” Yixing told her honestly. “I just wanted... I just wanted to make Uncle Zhang happy.”

 

Her lips curled in disgust. “Uncle Zhang?” she repeated with a dry laugh. “Keep calling him that. I’m sure he’ll be happy, alright.” Bi Ren seemed satisfied with the answer though because she moved on to a topic Yixing didn’t want to touch at all.

 

“Have you broken up with Luhan?”

 

This really tested his acting skills. in a deep breath, Yixing looked down at his feet, feigning an expression of utter heartbreak. He swallowed, Adam’s apple bobbing in his throat prominently to show how upset he was, and nodded slowly. Relief flooded him when Bi Ren smirked and once she left the room, he buried his face into his pillow and resisted the urge to shout in frustration.

 

Only 6 days left for a solution.

 

 

***

 

 

Luhan’s ears were momentarily deafened by the annoyingly piercing sound next to him and he floundered about in his bed to find the source. A string of colourful curses left his lips when he found his buzzing phone, where his stupid manager’s photo was flashing on the screen.

 

“, Zitao,” he barked, glancing at the clock on his bedside table and rubbing the sleep from his eyes. “Do you know what time it is!?”

 

“Sorry, you’re not my type,” came the reply over the phone. “And yes, I do know the time but I don’t think you do. Just because you don’t have any schedules lately doesn’t mean you get to sleep late every day.”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes at Zitao’s nagging and his gaze stuck to the ceiling, wishing the panda of a manager was here so he could strangle him. “What the hell do you want.”

 

“I have good news for you,” Zitao told him, glee in his voice. “I found you a sponsor.”

 

Suddenly Luhan didn’t feel so sleepy anymore. He sat up straight and made Zitao repeat himself while a broad grin formed on his lips. A sponsor? This was really great news! After the dumb scandal with Abel Chung, he hadn’t been getting any projects. He was dropped from 3 advertisement campaigns, a stupid drama director cancelled on him, and his music producers were impossible to work with.

 

“She wants to talk to you personally to discuss the details,” his manager said, “I had it scheduled for tonight. I’ll text you the address later – make sure you reach on time!”

 

“Alright, alright. Quit nagging. You’re acting 10 years older than you actually are,” Luhan teased. They briefly discussed what sort of projects Luhan should do and when Luhan hung up the phone ten minutes later, his mood was way lighter than the past couple of days. Things were finally starting to work out for him.

 

Whistling lightly under his breath, Luhan strolled out of the bedroom to the kitchen where he found Sehun poking his head into the lower cabinet where they kept packets of instant noodles. Ah. Growing boys should not eat so much instant noodles.

 

“Sehun,” he announced, “Go change your clothes. Ge will take you out for lunch to celebrate.”

 

 

***

 

 

Yixing thought he had cleared the difficult stages yesterday but when lunchtime came about the next day, something else popped up. He narrowed his eyes murderously at Kris who pretended not to notice as he introduced the slender yet voluptuous woman in front of him. Good Lord, her dress was cut so low in front Yixing didn’t know where to look.

 

“This is Tingting,” Kris said with a grin. “She’s new to the department too so you two have fun bonding over that. I have a lunch date with my girlfriend so... see you two later back at the office.”

 

Yixing bit back a groan when Kris sauntered off to leave him alone with Tingting, whose initial shy appearance in front of Kris had vanished into one that looked almost predatory. Glancing at the chair she patted next to her, Yixing sat down with some hesitance and cleared his throat uncomfortably. He didn’t want to be too rude, considering she was a colleague too, but Tingting was a little too touchy for his liking.

 

“So, Yixing, where do you live?” she asked flirtatiously. He knew he made a mistake by blankly telling her the neighbourhood Uncle Zhang’s house was in when her eyes doubled in size because who didn’t know the neighbourhood was where the rich and affluent lived? Yixing tensed when her hand covered his on the table and felt like he was going blind when she leaned towards him with no regard for her low-cut dress.

 

“H-here take a look at the menu,” he stammered, practically shoving it in her face but the woman was unfazed.

 

“I’ll eat whatever you’re having,” Tingting purred, scooting her chair closer to him. The way she was trailing her finger on the back of his hand was making him feel weird and he wanted badly to shove her off but it’d be rude and Yixing wasn’t keen on causing any trouble for Uncle Zhang. Bi Ren and Zhi Ren would be over the moon if Uncle Zhang was mad at him.

 

But the decision turned out not to be his anyway. One moment, Tingting was gluing herself to him, and the next moment, she was being torn away with so much strength the chair she was sitting toppled backwards. Startled, Yixing jerked up in surprise and was horrified to see Luhan glaring back at him.

 

“Is this the reason you have to stop seeing me?” he asked tetchily. The pair of sunglasses covering his face wasn’t doing much to hide his identity; pretty much the whole restaurant had recognised him and his name came up in whispers every few seconds. Yixing grimaced at the scene he was causing and stood up, only then seeing a bewildered Sehun sitting two tables away. Luhan was here with Sehun? He didn’t realise they were that close. He frowned and eyeballed the younger boy, who seemed to thankfully read his mind and came hurrying towards them.

 

“Ge, let’s not make a scene here,” Sehun mumbled softly, tugging at Luhan’s arm to pull him away from them. Yixing’s mind was running wild with the possibilities of what could happen if this scenario reached the ears of Bi Ren. He had to do something, before Luhan blew their cover.

 

“Sorry, Tingting,” Yixing said smoothly and flashed her an apologetic smile that flaunted his dimple. “I forgot I had a lunch appointment with my foster brothers. Can we take a rain check?” He jumped up from his chair and grabbed both Luhan and Sehun’s arms, lugging both of them out of the restaurant, away from prying eyes.

 

Sehun spoke first, eyes trained on both Yixing and Luhan. “What’s going on with the two of you?”

 

“Nothing,” Luhan said, icily, before Yixing can open his mouth. The idol shot Yixing a narrowed gaze. “Isn’t that right?”

 

The frost in Luhan’s voice cut Yixing more than he would like to admit. He was confused by the reaction: did Luhan say that because he was mad about him and Tingting or did he say that because he wanted to keep his relationship with Yixing a secret? He fervently hoped it was the former – at least jealousy was preferred than a lack of acknowledgement.

 

“Tingting’s just a colleague,” he said carefully. “Nothing more. I don’t feel anything for her.”

 

“Why not?” Sehun quipped, looking left and right at both him and Luhan. “She’s hot.”

 

Yixing shrugged. “Not my type.” He glanced sideways at the sullen Luhan and hesitantly nudged him. “Is she yours?”

 

“Too chest heavy,” Luhan murmured, imitating Yixing’s shrug. For some reason, Yixing flushed when the idol glanced purposefully at him. “Anyway. We might as well eat together. Come on. I’ll send you back to your office after lunch.”

 

Yixing followed them out and glanced over his shoulder at the restaurant, swallowing down the fear of what might happen when Bi Ren hears of this. 

 

 


 

A/N: I can't wait for Luhan to break Yixing's heart hahahaha. Kris is so oblivious someone please throw a rock at him.