Chapter 4

➤ EVERYTHING IN TRANSIT

 

 

Things were going a lot smoother than Luhan expected. It had been easy – way too easy – to get into Sehun’s good books. He could practically see stars in Sehun’s eyes whenever he talked to him; it was clear that the 17-year-old was overwhelmed that an idol was now living in his house. Never mind that he had been against him in the first place – Sehun now looked like he wanted to spend every minute with him.

 

It was, in fact, growing a little irritating to Luhan. He had been nice to Sehun, intentionally approaching him differently from how Yixing did so that Sehun would see there were no rules when it came to him. But after the fallout a week ago, Luhan tired of seeing Sehun’s eager face whenever he came home. He just wanted him to give him some space and not behave like a fan so much.

 

It was also one week since they were served the lawyer’s letter. That was a complete of good luck for Luhan. It was such good timing he wondered if this was a sign for him to buy lottery. Until he realised the person who sued Yixing was Abel Chung.

 

“Wait, so you thought I like that klutz?” Luhan echoed incredulously over the phone and started guffawing because the situation was so ridiculous.

 

“You rejected me,” Abel pointed out sullenly, “And spent an entire day in a dingy bookstore with him. What was I suppose to think?”

 

A loud snort erupted from Luhan. If only Abel knew he was there to spy on Yixing and make his life difficult. He really ought to thank Abel for making things a lot more fun.

 

“So if he’s your brother, should I... retract the lawsuit?”

 

“I don’t c—” Luhan started to say before a thought hit him. Hang on. If Abel went on ahead to sue Yixing, the Book Attic could really shut down, but he remembered reading somewhere that his father opened it. Did he really want to give away something that should really belong to him? A devious smile curled on his lips.

 

“Actually, Abe, I have an idea.”

 

The following morning, Luhan was the first to be up for breakfast. He was in a particularly good mood, even whistling quietly to himself as he made his own toast. The moment he heard footsteps, however, he hurriedly toned down his good spirits and fixed a stony expression on his face.

 

“Luhan?” he heard a confused voice behind him. Luhan turned around to see Qiuyue, and her two other precious sons behind her. Annoyance probed him like a crick to the neck that couldn’t be ridden of and once again, his dislike for the other 2 resurfaced. “Good... morning.”

 

“Are you making breakfast for us?” Sehun asked in an enthusiastic voice that didn’t match the sleepy expression on his face. Luhan resisted the urge to throw the piece of toast he was eating in Sehun’s face. He was a ing idol – not a servant boy.

 

“I was talking to the lawyer with regards to the Book Attic earlier,” Luhan said casually, sliding into the chair at the head of the table slowly because he knew how badly they wanted to know what came out of the conversation and no way was he going to make this easy for them. “Persuaded his client to settle out of court. All we need to do is to pay him 10 million yuan.”

 

There was a collective gasp from the three. Luhan pretended not to have heard it and continued on munching his toast.

 

“If we sell some things, we should be able to pay it,” the older woman said uncertainly. Luhan glanced at Yixing, who had his head bowed and was staring at his feet, and smirked to himself.

 

Luhan finished the last of his toast and stretched his legs underneath the table. “I can pay for it,” he said innocently. “I have money in my savings account.” Automatically Qiuyue’s and Sehun’s face brightened but Luhan wasn’t done yet. “On one condition.

 

“The ownership of the book cafe has to be transferred to me.”

 

 

***

 

 

“I really appreciate you coming out with me, Kris,” Yixing mumbled under his breath as his head tilted backwards to down another shot of whiskey. His friend’s concerned face swam in his vision and disappeared before he had the chance to marvel at how handsome it was. Pouting, Yixing picked up the glass that was set in front of him and took a sip, grimacing when he tasted water instead of the alcohol he was looking forward to.

 

“You should take a break from drinking, Yixing,” Kris murmured worriedly, eyes fixed at the new shot in Yixing’s hand. “You can’t drink that well. Did something happen?”

 

The downturned corners of Yixing’s lips went even lower. He sank deeper into his chair and hid his face behind the empty shot glass. All he had in his life other than his family was the Book Attic. He took pride in managing the book café well and even though the profits for the place were not high, they were reasonable. It was his sanctuary and now it belonged to Luhan.

 

Sure, it was supposed to be Luhan’s anyway. The Attic was opened by his foster father after all so since Luhan was his blood-related son, it should be technically his too. But after spending majority of his life there, Yixing felt empty not to be able to work at the book café anymore.

 

“It’s a long story...” he trailed off, his words slurring. “Maybe you won’t see me at the Attic anymore.” He poked Kris’ arm, entertaining himself with how hard it felt under his index finger. “Can you get me another drink? Please?”

 

The taller man sighed heavily and stood up from their booth. Kris knew how important the book café was to Yixing and perhaps he ought to just let him get drunk. At least this way, he’d feel a little less depressed. 

 

“Stay here. I’ll get us a new round.”

 

Without Kris to listen to his babbling, Yixing’s eyes fluttered close. The alcohol he consumed was making him a little drowsy. Yixing hiccupped softly to himself. Had he been a bit more sober, he’d be horrified at how he was behaving in front of his long-time crush, but right now he needed a listening ear. A sleepy smile formed on his lips when he felt a warm body sit next to him. Was Kris back? Without thinking, Yixing’s arms naturally went around his waist and he nuzzled his face into his shoulder. Comfy.
 

 

***

 

 

He had gone to the pub to celebrate his little success with his manager, whom he hadn’t seen the past few days since he moved into Qiuyue’s home. It was odd, to say the least, considering how Luhan saw Zitao on a daily basis in the past. Zitao was really his only friend in this cutthroat industry but Luhan didn’t think it was his fault that he didn’t have more friends. Sure, he was known to be obnoxious but when you were as successful as Luhan, it was difficult not to be suspicious of other people’s intentions. Case in point, Abel.

 

He was possibly the only person in the pub with sunglasses on, and possibly the only person whose annoyance was rapidly building to the height of a skyscraper. Zitao was ing late. He did not appreciate waiting, even if it was for his manager. (Actually, as a manager, shouldn’t he have a better management of his time!?)

 

“Say, aren’t you Luhan?”

 

The idol tensed a little at being recognised (though he did expect it – why else would he wear shades in such a ing dark room?) but he pasted a smile on his lips nonetheless. Until he saw the source of that voice happened to be Yixing’s unrequited crush Kris, who is looking like he is getting very acquainted as the chair of a pretty woman’s . The woman on Kris’ lap gasped softly and looked at Luhan so intensely it made him think of those high school girls at the Attic. Creepy.

 

But since he was caught, he might as well admit to his identity. He pushed the sunglasses up his nose to the top of his head and faked a wider smile at the couple. “Hello Kris,” he said smoothly. “What a pleasant surprise. Here with your girlfriend?”

 

As if he suddenly remembered something, Kris sat up straighter and looked over his shoulder with a grimace. “I’m here with Yixing actually–” He paused. “—Could you do me a favour and get Yixing home? Me and–” (Kris glanced at the woman on his lap questioningly, until she provided, “Nana!”) “—Nana have plans.”

 

Luhan must have an expression of extreme disbelief on his face because Kris suddenly patted his shoulder. “Come on. You can do this, can’t you? You guys live in the same house anyway. I can’t just leave him alone here.” Kris pointed at the corner of the pub. “He’s over there. Thanks a lot, buddy. Owe you one.” And then he left with Nana.

 

A string of curses spilled from Luhan’s mouth, so colourful that even the bartender stopped what he was doing to look at him. Luhan clenched his fists tightly. Did he just let Kris take advantage of him? They didn’t even know each other! Zitao, he was going to leave right now.

 

But when Luhan stepped outside the pub, he was struck by a very odd feeling of guilt. From what little he knew of Yixing, the former bookstore owner was a bit naïve. He wouldn’t be surprised if he was a total lightweight when it came to drinking either. Someone could easily rob him or kidnap him. And if they did, wouldn’t Luhan be blamed since Kris passed him the responsibility to take Yixing home?

 

Yes, that was the only reason Luhan would return to the pub.

 

His eyes scanned the small pub and instantly found Yixing slumped at one of the booths. Muttering a curse under his breath, Luhan stormed over but the second he sat down to try and get Yixing to stand, the other man had wrapped his arm around his waist and was snuggling up to him. It was stupid and it didn’t make sense but Luhan’s stomach flopped.

 

“Come on,” he said gruffly. “We’re going home.”

 

 

***

 

 

Yixing looked like a child curled up on his bed, with cheeks flushed red and hair sticking out in all directions. There was a deep frown on his lips that triggered off an urge in Luhan to smooth over but the idol kept his hand to himself and sat at the edge of the bed instead.

 

“You are such a pain in the ,” Luhan told him irritably, reaching over to pull the other’s shoes off. “I don’t even know why I’m bothering – hell, you have to be the first person I’m doing this for.”

 

He really didn’t expect Yixing to reply him since the other looked like he had passed out the minute his head hit the pillow but Luhan’s ears picked up on the soft mumbling in the otherwise silent room and with some hesitation, he leaned over to hear what he was saying.

 

“... Ma must hate me even more now,” Yixing mumbled into the pillow. “I can’t ever do anything right... I just wanted to repay Papa’s love by looking after the book café... can’t even do that...” His lower lip trembled but it stopped when Luhan succumbed to his urge and ran his thumb over it slowly. “... Ma must be so proud her real son is a singer... unlike me... I can’t even stand onstage...” A soft whimper escaped Yixing and his next words struck a chord in Luhan: “I just want a family.”

 

“I want a family too,” a six-year-old Luhan yelled furiously at the two worried adults in front of him. He shoved the woman away when she attempted to hug him and glared venomously at them. “You are not my parents! I want my real mummy and daddy!”

 

“We are your parents now, Luhan!”

 

“NO!” he shouted, hot tears spilling from his eyes. “You are fake! You are both fake!” Luhan cried harder, his shoulders quaking as another bout of tears hit him. “Why don’t they want me? What did I do? I’ll be good! I promise to be good!”

 

The memory was one of the few that constantly haunted Luhan throughout the years. He willed it away and looked back at his foster brother who had fallen asleep, tear streaks along his cheeks. Luhan’s abhorrence for the other diminished at seeing him like this. He was so into his master plan to ruin the family, he had forgotten Yixing and Sehun were like him too. Abandoned by their real parents.

 

His throat suddenly felt thick. Swallowing with much difficulty, Luhan gently rubbed Yixing’s damp cheeks with his fingers. “Don’t worry,” he whispered. “You’ll have a family.”

 

He just didn’t know how different it’d be from his mind.

 


 

A/N: Asdhgadjkl Kris. Aashdfjkl Luhan. Thank you to the eleven of you who commented! I would have put the fic on the backburner otherwise, heh.