Chapter Ten

Elementary

Sehun wakes up the next morning on the floor. His spine feels like it’s been run over by a tractor trailer and he’s got one hell of a headache, but the most worrying fact is holy crap why is Luhan sleeping on him.

 

He tries to sit up and winces when his forehead throbs in retaliation. He gives up and continues laying on the ground, which is none too comfortable.

 

“And sleeping beauty has awoken,” someone declares from behind him. He looks up to see Jongin, surveying the scene with an air of judgement. “You know, you two really at drinking.”

 

Sehun’s too confused and disorientated to figure out what exactly has happened, but due to the fact that Luhan is snoring cutely on his chest - well, something must have had happened.

 

“What - what happened?” Sehun asks, mentally checking that both he and Luhan are still dressed so at least he can eliminate that potentially awkward scenario.

 

“You two made out like a bunch of teenagers.” Jongin’s voice sounds a few hundred times more smug than it should be. Sehun can’t tell if it’s his headache that makes it sound that way, or if Jongin actually does feel a few hundred times more smug than usual. He suspects the latter.

 

“What.”

 

“I don’t get a thank you?” Jongin nudges him with his foot. Sehun thinks he should probably try to get up off the floor before they have a serious conversation. The only problem is, Luhan is sleeping on him and he doesn’t want to wake the older up. Partly because Luhan is sleeping on him. Sehun thinks he’s dreaming, except the splitting headache he has tells him otherwise. He doesn’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

 

“So ungrateful. Whatever. The main point is, I already called the girl I met yesterday and she says she’s free for dinner. We’re meeting at five.”

 

“You move fast,” Sehun mumbles. Then he looks down at Luhan and has the sudden realization that “WAIT. I KISSED LUHAN.”

 

“Not so loud,” Jongin hisses. “You’ll wake him up. Yes. You got to first base with Luhan. That took you a while to understand.”

 

BUT I KISSED HIM,” Sehun screeches quietly, trying not to hit Luhan’s face with his arms. I KISSED HIM.”

 

“And I do congratulate you for having the balls to accept his advances but we do have a job to consider here.” Jongin glances at his phone impatiently. “It’s already twelve.”

 

BUT I KISSED HIM AND WE WERE DRUNK AND NO WHAT HAVE I DONE I’VE PROBABLY RUINED HIS INNOCENCE FOREVER -

 

“I’m pretty sure your immoral, dirty thoughts about Luhan that happen about once every thirty seconds have made him pretty much not innocent years ago - ”

 

“What - but I don’t - how did you know about that?” Sehun blurts out and instantly wants to take his words back. He’s ten times more grateful that Luhan is still asleep.

 

“You keep forgetting I’ve known you for more than ten years now. I’m not an idiot, and even an idiot would realize it.” Jongin flips his hair in an extremely bored manner and looks away, sighing in exasperation.

 

“Okay, fine. But WHAT AM I GOING TO TELL HIM?”

 

Sehun’s shout comes off a little too loud and Luhan stirs against him, opening his eyes blearily and blinking rapidly several times. “What’s going on?”

 

“We’re getting ready to pick up some information,” Jongin says calmly, as if nothing unusual had happened.

 

“Ah, right. The tip you found last night?” Luhan stands up, looking surprisingly hangover-free. Sehun is quite jealous. However, in the next moment, Luhan stares down at him and there’s something like surprise crossing his expression and he slowly blinks. “Was I...sleeping on you?”

 

Sehun really hates it when Luhan stops being all dreamy and confused at all the wrong times. “Uh. Yeah. You were. Tired?”

 

“I heard something about us kissing?”

 

.

 

“Um.”

 

“Yup,” Jongin says cheerfully, pulling Sehun up from the floor, and thus causing Sehun to stumble because goddammit Jongin he’s not sober enough to employ the limited reflexes of hungover people. “You guys looked pretty hot making out too. It was fun to watch.”

 

Luhan takes this information in stride, probably filing it away for future reference when they don’t have an urgent case on their hands. Sehun has the sudden wish for the ground to swallow him up, but Luhan merely shrugs and changes the subject. “What time is it now?”

 

“Noon.”

 

“So we have five hours before the dinner. And only Jongin is going, but I’d like to watch.” Luhan surveys the scene, and there’s a glint in his eyes that makes Sehun realize that Luhan has another idea. Not all of Luhan’s ideas are good. Like the entire penguin suit fiasco. “Why don’t Sehun and I take the booth next to yours at the restaurant and eavesdrop?”

 

“Sounds good.” Jongin shrugs, and Sehun is panicking because oh god he’s going to be in the same area as Luhan like really close possibly sitting right next to each other how to handle this?

 

Sehun realizes with vague annoyance and disappointment that they didn’t used to be this way. They used to be so comfortable with each other, the way best friends should be - minus the fact that Luhan was completely unaware of Sehun’s feelings, but at least Sehun could enjoy his company without pissing himself from anxiety.

 

He blames Jongin for setting off his jealous side and making him feel like he has to fight for Luhan’s attention. No, it’s not just Jongin - it’s this stupid case too. The sooner it’s solved, the better.

 

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a few more hours of sleep to catch up on.” With that, Luhan flops back down onto the bed and pulls the covers over himself.

 

“But you slept until twelve,” Sehun points out.

 

“Didn’t sleep well. You’re not squishy enough, too bony,” Luhan mumbles. “And my head hurts.”

 

Sehun makes it his new personal goal to gain weight in case more of these situations come up. His jealousy on autopilot also hones in on Jongin’s lean (but possibly comfortable) chest. Oh, not this again. He promptly smacks himself in the face, earning a strange look from Jongin but not from Luhan, who has thankfully fallen asleep again.

 

“Hitting your head is not going to evacuate the stupidity inside.”

 

Sehun groans. “Shut up.”

 

“Seriously, you have a problem.” Jongin takes a seat on the chair, leaving Sehun to pace back and forth across the room unhappily.

 

“I do not.”

 

“Yeah, if the definition of ‘not having a problem’ is having a heart attack every time he so much as talks to you. And not-so-secretly staring at him like a possessive puppy. How did you two even live together?”

 

Sehun pauses in his pacing to launch himself at Jongin and deliver a few mildly forceful punches, all of which Jongin dodges because Sehun is still hungover and has really bad aim. Also because Jongin is just one of those people who are naturally skilled at everything which makes Sehun really angry.

 

“You weren’t so worked up for me back then. Do you really think he’s that hot?” Jongin looks over at Luhan’s sleeping figure critically, tilting his head at different angles.

 

Sehun shoves him and Jongin nearly falls off the chair. “It’s not the same.”

 

“Uh huh. You liked me because we did things together and you like him for... personality?”

 

“I love him,” Sehun says, maybe a tad too forcefully as Luhan stirs, sending Sehun’s nerves on overdrive.

 

Jongin splutters on nonexistent words and stares at Sehun, eyeballs ogling. Sehun has a faint image of a fish cartoon character. “You love him? Isn’t this going a bit too far.”

 

It must be the aftereffects of his hangover, but Sehun suddenly has a spurt of bravery (stupidity? seems to be more like it). “What, jealous?”

 

“Why would I ever be jealous of a like you?” Jongin huffs. “If that’s how you really feel, why don’t you grow some balls and confess?”

 

Sehun stops. “Uh.” One does not simply confess to Luhan, of all people. “Did I ever confess to you?”

 

“Stop changing the subject.”

 

“Okay, not everyone is as... easy as you.”

 

Jongin shoots him an affronted glare. “I’m not easy.”

 

They stare at each other from across the room, and Sehun is pretty sure he hasn’t felt this much tension between them since the last time they were in the bathroom together. Luhan makes an extremely cute gurgling sound in his sleep.

 

Jongin sighs, and Sehun is reminded of the best friend he had years ago. “Never mind. We’re being stupid, and you’re still half drunk. Go sleep it off. I’ll wake you up later for the dinner party.”

 

True to his word, Jongin does wake him up. By shoving him off the bed.

 

Sehun hits the floor with a loud thud that startles Luhan awake. Luhan stares at Sehun. Sehun looks up to see that Jongin is wearing a fancy suit (and thoughts of Luhan in a suit come into his mind).

 

This is going to be a long night.


we're sorry for not updating in forever also we literally did nothing in this chapter sorry it's okay NEXT CHAPTER WILL HAVE ACTION OKAY /runs away