Not Interested

Not Interested

 

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I groan as I stretch my hand out to put my alarm on snooze. I open one eye. A piercing light enters my vision. I turn over and pull the covers over my head.

Five more minutes...

“Tiffany! Wake up!” I hear mum call me. “It’s quarter past seven!”

Oh crap! Already?

I throw my duvet off and push myself off of bed. I look at the clock beside my bed.

7:15AM

I slip on my silk robe and make my way downstairs to the breakfast bar.

“Toast, sweetie?” asks my mother. She’s already in her work uniform, ready to leave.

“I can do it myself!” I hiss, opening the pantry.

I’ve just inserted the bread into the toaster. Mum’s smiling at me. I give her a half-hearted smile back.

“I’d better go now, honey. See you later!” she says.

Yeah, at ten o’clock tonight...

“Bye,” I say, looking to the ground.

I hear the familiar pop of the toaster. I take the piece of toast and shove it in my mouth. I run back upstairs and into my room.

I pull my school uniform out of my wardrobe, ripping my pyjamas off and throwing them on to the ground.

I’ll clean it later...

I look at myself in my full-length mirror.

Does this skirt make my thighs look big?

Trying to blur out all negative thoughts, I make my way to the bathroom.

I pull the draw open and grab my makeup. Eyeliner, mascara, BB cream, blush, eye shadow...

I pull my hair out of my face and up in a ponytail, looking at my face in the mirror. Ugh. I start off with my BB cream, then the blush, then the eyeliner, eye shadow... It’s not until I’ve applied my mascara and batted my eyelashes in the mirror that I’m satisfied. Well, with my face at least.

At the same time I shove the makeup back in the drawer, I pull out my curler and straightener from the one below. While waiting for the machines to heat up properly, I pull out my hair and brush it. It’s long, and bright red. Dyed, of course. Black is just so... ew...

I decide today that I’ll put waves in my hair.

After I’ve finished with my hair, I take one more look at myself and walk out the door.

 

*

 

The bell rings. I have homeroom.

With Kris.

When I walk down the corridor, the kids part for me. They’re all afraid of me.

Good for them.

I make sure to get a seat next to the end, so he can sit with me and only me.

The room is filling, and filling fast. I slide my books to the empty seat beside me. That’s when I see a tall, blonde figure walking towards me.

“Hey, Tiffany,” says a deep, familiar voice.

“Hey, Kris!” I giggle.  “I saved you a seat!”

I slide my books back in front of me, as he sits down – not on the seat I saved, but the other one next to me. Why didn’t I think of that? He turns to look at me and smiles.

The thing with Kris’ smiles is that not only do his lips and teeth smile, but his eyes sparkle alongside.

Not to mention it’s one of those smiles that makes you want to melt.

The teacher walks in. Why do they always have to have bad haircuts? He’s followed by a boy with ebony-black hair and equally dark eyes. He’s tall, but has a slight slouch. He’s quite good looking too.

“This is Tao Huang,” the teacher drones. “He’s moved here from China, but went to an international school. This means he speaks English. No racist jokes, please,”

He turns to face this Tao kid.

“Please introduce yourself, Tao” says the teacher again, with his trademark monotone.

The kid looks at the class with might almost be... boredom? Distaste?

“Hey. I’m Tao. I practise wushu, a Chinese martial arts. I like rap music. Thanks,” he said, his voice dry. He had a bit of an accent – noticeable, but slight.

“Tao, please sit next to Kris,” said the teacher, pointing to the empty spot next to my soon-to-be boyfriend. If only he knew I liked him...

It’s okay if the new kid sits next to Kris, but only this once. I mean, it’s not like they’re going to be friends or anything. They’re too different.

“Hi, I’m Kris!” says the blonde one, his hand extended.

“Hey,” grumbles Tao, completely ignoring Kris’ act of kindness.

What an obnoxious kid!

I grab on to Kris’s arm and lean over him.

“Hey, Tao! I’m Tiffany!” I give him his most dazzling smile and flutter my eyelashes.

Tao just looks at me with disgust.

Well, if that’s how he wants to be, so be it.

“You wanna hang with us at lunch?” asks Kris. What?!

What are you doing? I mouth to him.

“Being nice!” smiles Kris. Oh, that smile...

“Well, if princess here is okay with it, sure,” mumbles Tao, motioning towards me.

The nerve!

I smile sweetly at him. “Sure!” I say.

“Cool!” says Kris, his grin widening.

What is up with you today, Kris?

Ding Ding Ding!

The bell sounds for next period.

We make our way out of the classroom and into the hallway, straight into the thundering stampede of students hurrying to their classes. I see Tao a little bit ahead of me and – whoops! I “accidentally” bump him, causing him to fall to the floor.

“Oops!” I say, pretending to care. “Was that me? I’m so sorry!” I squeak. I put a hand to my mouth, acting as innocent as I can. Just as I’m about to reach out to help him up, someone else does. Someone tall, someone blonde... Someone who looks like Kris.

“Watch where you’re going!” says Tao, staring daggers at me.

“Yeah, be more careful, Tiffany!” Kris says. I can’t believe he’s actually caring about this kid.

I huff, flick my hair and walk off to class, not looking back.

 

*

 

Come lunch time, and I’ve met up with my friends at our usual place beneath the big oak tree.

Sitting with me is Sunny, Jessica, Amber, Henry, Kris and that horrible new kid, Tao.

“So,” says Jessica flirtatiously to Tao. “You’re from China, are you?”

“Yeah,” he mutters.

“I know Chinese!” says Jessica, leaning towards him. “Wo ai ni!

“Cool,” says Tao again, not really focusing.

Jessica furrows her brow. This is the first time someone of the opposite gender has repelled her flirtatious charms.

“Hey, Tao,” starts Kris. Oh my GOD! Stop talking to him! “What class do you have next?”

“Maths. You?” replies Tao, speaking in full clarity.

“Same here. We must be in the same class!” grins Kris, his eyes shining.

“He’s in the same class as us?” I say, clinging to Kris’ arm. He’s mine. All mine.

“Oh,” says Tao, glaring at me. “You too…”

I glare back, but only for a split second, because Kris turns to face me.

Who do you think you are?

My other friends start talking to him too. Amber asks him about wushu, Henry talks about videogames, and Sunny… Sunny tries to flirt with him too. Ugh.

Meanwhile, I keep close to Kris, never letting go of his arm.

“So, Tiffany,” says Tao, staring at me. If looks could kill, I’d be dead twice. “Are you and Kris dating?” he asks.

“No!” butts in Kris, almost too quickly to my liking.

“But I was going to ask him if he wanted to come out for a movie tonight!” I say, marking my territory.

“Oh, really?” asks Kris. “Why don’t we invite Tao with us?”

“Um, I was actually thinking just us t—” I start, but am cut off.

“That sounds great! In fact, why don’t we all go?!” says Tao, pretending to be innocent.

You make me sick.

Just then, someone tall and lanky walks past. Her hair is in plaits and her socks are pulled to her knees.

I’m the first one to start.

“Phew! Do you smell something?” I say, holding my nose.

“Like onion! Gross!” continues Henry, waving his hand over his nose.

“Onion breath coming this way!” says Sunny, laughing at the girl walking past.

Her name is Sulli, and is in the same year as us.

“Ew, Sulli! Get away from us!” I say loudly. She shouldn’t even be anywhere near us. She’s so weird.

Kris doesn’t say anything.

Sulli runs off, tears forming in her eyes. Good for you, weirdo.

“What was that for?” asks Tao aggressively. “What did she do to you?”

His aggression was directed straight at me.

“She’s weird. All she does is sit in the library and read. She shouldn’t be out here, anywhere near us,” I say, shrugging.

“Well, that was a bit harsh! Don’t you agree, Kris?” he says. He’s trying to play mind games with me.

 “Um... Er...” Kris begins, obviously confused.

“Well, listen Tao,” I say, my words as cold as ice. “If you want to hang out with the losers, there’s a spot there for you. You’ll be more welcome there than here,” I glare at him.

He glares back. “You’ve made that clear already. I don’t know what your problem is, but I’m not leaving. I’m fine here. Is that okay with you, Kris?” he says, his voice like poison.

“Yeah... Uh, Tiffany, you may be being a bit harsh...” says Kris, a bit unsure.

I grip him tighter.

“You’re right, Kris!” I say innocently. I look at Tao. “I’m sorry, Tao I didn’t mean that. We’re all still on for the movies tonight?”

Tao glares at me for a split second, and then softens his expression.

“Yeah, sure!” he says, but to Kris, not me.

 

*

 

It’s almost six o’clock, and we’re all meeting at the cinemas at half past.

I’ve refreshed my makeup, redone my hair and am just deciding which dress to wear.

Mum won’t be home for another four hours.

I’m flicking through my clothes when I come across a fluorescent pink dress. Perfect.

It’s short, about mid-thigh length, strapless, and is tight around the waist. It has a full skirt and a beaded floral pattern on the top.

Best of all, it matches my nails.

I choose out a pair of white wedges and a sparkly necklace. Kris can’t resist this, can he?

I’ve known Kris since about year four. I’ve liked him since year seven. I flirt and flirt, but I don’t know; he seems oblivious to me! Jessica reckons he likes me back but doesn’t know it yet. Of course, she’s right. Jessica’s always right about these things.

 

I hear the doorbell ring. That must be Kris to pick me up.

I run downstairs and open the door.

It’s Kris, wearing black skinny jeans, a white shirt and a green woollen V-neck sweater. His hair is pushed back neatly.

I almost cry at the sight of him. He looks so... cute!

“Hey, Tiffany! You ready?” he says, smiling at me. Stop it, gorgeous!

I follow him to his car. He opens the door to the back seat.

Wait― back seat?!

Once I sit down, I see someone in a blue blazer, with raven black hair and dark eyes turn around and grin. Not a happy, friendly grin; an evil “ha-ha-I-got-here-first” grin.

“Hi, Tiffany!” says Tao. “I needed Kris to give me a lift too; I have no other means of transport,”

“Then you shouldn’t have come” I mutter under my breath. Tao was still talking.

“Oh, and it turns out we live really close to each other. Just around the corner, actually!”

He smiles, but his dark eyes are coldly staring at me.

I don’t like where this is going!

For the rest of the trip, we sit in silence.

 

*

 

We arrive outside the cinemas, where Sunny and Amber are already waiting for us.

“Something came up,” says Sunny “So Jessica can’t make it,”

“And you know what Henry’s parents are like...” continues Amber.

We buy our tickets and walk through to the kiosk.

“What does everyone want?” asks Kris, pulling his wallet out. I push his hand back in.

“No, no, no, no, no! I’ll pay! It’s okay!” I say, trying my best attempt to act flirtatiously.

“I won’t let you!” Kris says in mock anger.

We laugh.

“Uh...” says Amber. “You guys gonna buy the popcorn or what?”

I finally give in. “Fine then! I want to share a medium popcorn with you!”

“Why not just get one large one?” suggests Sunny, filing her nails. “With the five drink combo?”

“Sounds good,” says Kris as he goes up and pays.

Tao hasn’t said anything.

 

*

 

We enter the cinema, me keeping as close to Kris as possible. I make sure to sit next to him – or rather, almost on top of him. Stupid Tao decides to sit on the other side of him. Why does he always do that?

I make a mental note to not let Kris out of my sight this evening.

I decide to push the armrest up so I can lean on Kris. He puts his arm around me as I snuggle up to him.

Sunny winks and gives me the thumbs up. She then tries to do something similar with Tao, but he moves away. Well, then.

*

 

I don’t really pay much attention to the movie. It’s Kris I spend my time thinking out. He’s so… handsome. The flashing lights of the screen accentuate his jawline; shadowing and darkening his eyes, making him look older, if not mysterious.

When the movie finally ends, Kris helps me out of my seat.

“Thanks,” I say, staring deep into his eyes.

“No problem,” he says, almost completely ignoring my attempts to be friendly.

We walk outside, hand in hand. I pull him around the corner, behind a large cardboard cut-out of some upcoming movie, away from the others.

“Hey, Kris… I was thinking…” I begin.

 “Kris!” yells Amber. “Where are you?”

“I’m here!” Kris yells back, making his way out of our little area.

Missed my chance!

Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone with jet black hair walk towards where I’m standing.

“Oh. Hi,” he says.

“Hey,” I spit. I’m not wasting my time talking to you...

“Um, can I ask you something?” he says, looking at me with what might actually be sincerity.

“Spit it out!” I say abruptly.

“Um, do you like Kris? As in, like like?”

I’m sorry, you’re how old?

“So what if I do? We’re gonna get together. I don’t know why you’re so against it―” I say, but I stop in realization. My eyes widen. “Wait a second... What about you? How do you feel about Kris?”

His face goes red, causing him to look down.

Oh. My. God.

“So, you like Kris too. As in like like...” I say, throwing his childish terminology back into his face.

“You don’t know that!” he says in desperation.

“Oh, yes I do. Of course I do. That explains everything. You filthy, manipulative, sly little... actually, no, I’m not going to say that word. I cannot believe you!”

I completely lose control over myself; yelling and shouting. I don’t even care if anyone can hear me.

Kris is mine. All mine.

“You like Kris! You think you can get with him! You think you can break us up! You think you can take all his attention away from me!” I see the hurt in his face, but I don’t care. Who does he think he is? He doesn’t know who I am; he doesn’t know who he’s dealing with.

 “And you actually think he likes you back?” I cackle. “You think he likes you? I’ve known him since I can’t remember, and I know for a fact he’s not interested. Especially in you.”

I intend for my words to sting like acid. I hope he burns inside.

 “I knew you were trouble as soon as you sat next to him. I knew it!”

 

He obviously doesn’t know what happened to the last person that crossed my path.

Let’s just say even Victoria’s “friends hated her. I made her life so miserable, she moved cities.

“Listen here, Tao,” I say with a harsh whisper. “Kris is mine. Stay away. Got it? I swear, if you go within three metres of him I will make your life a living hell. Have fun,”

I spin on my heel and flick my hair, just like I did earlier today when I tripped the little... no, still not going to use that word.

 I feel somewhat relaxed now, happy to have let out my emotions.

That’ll show him I think, as I walk off to find the others.

“Where’s Tao?” asks Kris.

“Oh, he’s walking home,” I say casually.

“But his house is quite far away, are you sure that’s safe?” says Sunny.

“He does shuwu or something, he can defend himself,” I shrug.

“Wushu,” corrects Kris. “And okay, if you say so...”

He looks at me unsurely.

“Come on! Let’s go!” I say, grabbing on to his arm again, walking towards the car.

 

*

 

The next morning, there is no reply when Tao’s name is called on the roll.

He isn’t here today.

Good.

I make sure to cling to Kris as much as possible. Just in case.

“I wonder where Tao is?” says Kris at recess.

“Who cares?” I shrug. I can’t wait until we’re a real couple...

Today, Kai decided to sit with us as well. He’s allowed to, but only because he’s good-looking.

“That doesn’t sound like you, Tiffany! Not caring about someone?” says Kai, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Shut up before I make you sit with Sulli, Kai,” I hiss.

That shut him up. He continues talking to Henry about God knows what.

“I’ll text him,” says Kris, who pulls out his phone. When did this phone number exchange happen, sorry?

A few minutes later, he gets a reply.

“He says he’s not feeling well. Probably something he ate last night, he reckons,”

Damn straight he’s sick.

“Oh! He wants to know if I want to come over tonight as well!” says Kris, his face lighting up.

Oh no, he didn’t...

“Oh!” I say in surprise. “I was just about to ask you the exact same thing! Tell him you can’t go, you’re coming to mine instead!” I wasn’t but if that’s how Tao’s going to play it...

“Well, um, Tiffany... you have to understand, Tao is sick, and, well, it might be best for me to visit him if he’s unwell...” Kris says nervously.

“Well, fine then,” I say. “But as soon as you’re done with him, visit me! I don’t care if you wanna sleep over...” I wink.

“Uh...” Kris tries to say, but I cut him off.

“Sounds great!” I say.

Kai is trying to hold in his laughter. I give him a venomous glare, and his face goes white. He turns away. You should be afraid.

 

*

 

That night, I sit in my room waiting for Kris to drop by. He never does.

Mum comes home, but I really couldn’t give a rat’s behind. She tries to do that whole “mother-daughter bonding” thing, but I make it clear that I’m not interested.

“Are you sure nothing’s troubling you?” she asks.

“No, mum!” I screech. I’m pretty confident that within the next month, Kris and I will be together.

So why am I so worried?

What if Tao tells Kris what I told him?

What if Kris hates me forever because of it?

I push away these thoughts, replacing them with happier ones instead.

Kris and I holding hands down at the beach...

Kris and I feeding each other ice cream at that ice cream shop in the city...

I manage to fall asleep with these thoughts and visions replaying in my mind.

 

 

*

 

 

The next day at school, Tao does turn up. We completely ignore each others’ presence.Instead, we both talk to Kris. I manage to glare at Tao a few times, though.

No more of this fake friendliness like before. He pretends to not notice me. He seems different, somehow. Not as focused anymore. Jittery. Nervous.

Not my problem!

Come lunchtime, both Kris and Tao seem excited about something.

“Um, guys...” begins Tao.

Shut up.

“We have an announcement to make...” continues Kris. “So, uh, as you guys may know, I saw Tao last night and, well...”

“Some stuff happened...” Tao added.

“And we are now, um, going to start dating... so, yeah... surprise!” Kris finished.

Jessica looked like she was about to cry in excitement. Amber and Sunny squeal in excitement. Henry gives the both of them a “manly” pat on the back.

Tao’s giving me this look of triumph.

He won.

 

I feel sick. My stomach churns, and my head is throbbing.

It’s never going to happen.

I feel my own poisonous words being thrown back into my face.

I know for a fact that he’s not interested.

I feel my eyes watering as I stand up and run away from my friends.

I cry and cry.

He’s not interested.

I know for a fact he’s not interested.

Especially in you.

 

***********************

So as mentioned previously, this was actually for school but I decided to make it a fanfic.

Sorry about Tiffany being a . She probably isn't like that in real life.

Subscribe and comment, guys!

(Yes, that's Tao's blue blazer again XD)

 

~Mando

 

(UPDATE) I got 20/20. WHOO!