Remember or not

Work and Romance

 

It's cold, why is it so incredibly cold?  You reach around for something to cover yourself with in vain.  Shivering you look around and again note something else; You were some where you had never been before, some strange building and you were in the main room.  It was large and had grey walls with maroon carpeting.  It seemed like a church chapel but too large.  That explained where you were, sort of, but why in the world was it so cold, did the people here just like ice-boxes?  Your entire body was freezing aside from your left hand, which was extremely strange both because your hands were usually the coldest and that your right hand was just as cold as everything else.   

You stood and walked out through the double doors at the back of the room into a long, dark hallway.  It seemed to stretch on for quite a while  and you couldn't even see where it ended.  It was dimly lit by a few candles stretched three feet apart, so you could only see a few feet ahead of you.  Slowly, a figure began to appear as far down as you could see.  Squinting trying, but failing, to see who it was, you called out "Hello, Can you tell me where I am?"

No reply

"Wh-who are you?"

More silence.

'This is to creepy!' You thought, fear and worry creeping into you now. Instinctively you took a step back.  The figure following your actions took a step closer.  Now curiosity has the best of you and you take a step back again.  It again steps closer.  You pause; step closer.  At that The figure begins walking closer.  You thought it would have taken a step back to maintain distance!  It was only waiting for an invitation to get closer!  You froze up and gapped at it as it slowly made its way towards you.  You shiver both freezing and terrified. You take a step back.  It stops.

'What!?' you mouth wrinkling up your forehead.  You stood still, frozen, not wanting that thing, that you could now tell had the build  of a man, to move anymore at all.  Always afraid of the unknown.

"Ae-cha!" You hear the faint sound of your name.  'It sounded like Hoon!' you instantly pointed out. You turn towards the sound, seeing no one you look back over your shoulder to the figure.  It was practically running after you.  You stumbled  and ran down the hall, it was after you! What was it!?  What did it want with you!?  It was closing in on you and fast.  "Hoon?!" You test.  "Hoon!"  You begin  calling t ohm fir help as if it's the only thing you know how to do.  "Hoon!"  You scream out once more, loudly with a shrill terror as the figure behind wrapped its arms around you and pulled you to the ground.  And just as you are pulled down, you swear, those arms wrapped around your shoulder and chest smell just like Kibum's old cologne.



 

You sit up straight, in what you instantly discern as a hospital bed, gasping and nearly sweating.  'Was I asleep that whole time?' You think.  You notice just after that that Hoon is sitting to your left.  He was shushing you and saying "It's okay, it's okay, I'm right here."  He looked tired and as if my screaming had woke him from a nap.   His smile soothed your mind and calmed you so that you couldn't be very afraid anymore.  'It was just a dream and I'll be okay.' You told yourself.  After your breathing calmed and regulated you realized why your left hand had been so warm.  Wrapped around your little hand was Hoon's, soft and strong. (You also noticed why it was so cold, stupid freezing cold hospital rooms...)  He notices you looking at your hands and blushes pulling it back. 

                You wanted to object but remembered you had been mad at him.. But why where you mad at him?  What happened?  Why were you even here?  All You could remember was hugging, then being mad.  You thought it was silly that you were mad and had forgotten why, so you decided not to ask about it.  But you did want to know why you were in a hospital. 

"So....what happened, why am I in here?"  You finally asked.

"You don't- you...don't remember?"  He asked looking worried again.

You shake your head.

"You fell, or tripped more or less.  Right over your own feet, and you didn't even try to catch yourself, just landed right on your face.  I was going to ask you Why you hadn't tried to, but  i guess thats a little out of the question."  He Chuckled out a little half laugh.

                You scrunch up your forehead trying to figure it all out, but give up and look back to Hoon.  HE looked slightly nervous, like he had no idea what to say next.  He was cute this way and it made you blush slightly.

                He finally fluffed his hair, "So...I should probably go tell the nurse that you woke up so that we can get you home. "  He stood and pointed to the door.   You blushed and nodded your head down once telling him 'okay' and he walked out, leaving you alone.

This was a dangerous was to be, all alone with your thoughts like this.  You tried not to think about anything too much.  You had needled in your wrist so you weren't sure if you could get up but you tried anyways.  The tall poll holding all the cords  had a single cord attached to the wall that was just long enough to get to the bathroom.  Once there you realized just how much you needed to be in there. Afterwards you found yourself staring relentlessly at your own reflection.

Your nose had tape over it and you could faintly see purple around the sides.  You reached your hand to your face, barely grazing your right cheek.  Just the slightest of touches was enough to make you wince with pain.  It didn't seem like your face was all to swollen but you could tell that you had in fact fallen straight onto your face.  Maybe you had just had to many things on your mind ant it blocked your instincts.  You didn't know and you had to keep yourself from thinking too much.  Maybe you would still be able to go to the job interview tomorrow.  No there was no question about that.  You would go even if you had to punch death himself in the face in the process.  You wanted this too much.  Okay, so you weren't going to be an idol, but you would get to be next to idols all day, every day.  And that alone was a dream come true.  Ironically enough, you were extremely tired.  Had they given you drugs?

You make your way back into the main room just in time for the nurse to walk in followed by Hoon.  "Oh miss Min, nice to see you are walking around now.  We have your paperwork for you to fill out then we we'll release and I have a prescription for you for some pain killers and something to help with the swelling." She started and didn't even breathe between the words.  She showed you two or three slips of paper telling you how many to take how many times a dat and with or without food. You tried hard to take it all in and nodded with every syllable, a concentrated look  plastered to your face.  You were almoust to tired to understand anything coming from , which is why you tried so hard to do so.  "Your boyfriend signed all the paper work for check in so you will have to go back and re-sign a few, stating that you gave consent also."  You blush at her words but she continues talking at a non-stop pace like she is just going through the motions until she gets to go home.  He also paid the bill in full so won't have to worry about that either."  At this your jaw drops slightly and you look to Hoon, who is wearing a very guilty looking smile.  You sigh and turn your attention back to the woman who is still blabbing on.  "And then just bring the papers up to the front office on your way out."  You smile a tight smile and nod as she walks out.

 "Phabo! You paid my bill?! Why!?" You whisper/hissed at him as soon as the door clicked shut behind the nurse.

He Looks a little hurt at your reaction and looks to the floor shuffling his feet.  " Well..you didn't have any money of your own to do it, and it was really no big deal."

You feel bad now for being harsh, but hospital bills can be pretty expensive!   "I could have eventually.  I'm getting a job soon."  You tell him, you didn't want him to have to take so much care of you, you wanted to be more independent. 


Maybe so, but it was no big deal really and I thought- I thought it would be nice..." He was still studing the ground and kicking his feet.

He was right of course. " It WAS nice, too nice, thank you.  I just don't want you having to take so much care of me"

At that he raised his head side-ways with a smile on his face.  "It's all part of my job description, Ajumma gave me strict orders to take good care of you while you were in here."

You sighed, of course she had... 

Still tired you look to the paperwork in your hand "And you did all of this too?" 

He nodded

You nod back and start signing your name over the older papers.  Finished with that you began the check out papers.  You still so tired and each sheet seemed to get longer and blurred in and out of legibility with sleep threatening your eyes.  You blinked hard and refocused scratching down information as quickly as possible so you could out of there.  Fighting sleep probably doubled the time that it should have taken to fill it all out but you were finally done.  You and Hoon walk down the hall to the front office papers at hand.

It was around 8:30 when you finally got out of the hospital.  Hoon told you how he had rode with you in the ambulance and that because of that, his car was still outside of the house.   So you walked.  You were so tired that you were nearly hunched over walking down the street.  After a short while of walking Hoon reached over and wrapped his hand around yours again.  You gasped, honestly a little shocked.  A look of fear and rejection spread on his face and he tried to pull his hand back.  Shaking the initial shock just before he could pull back you squeeze his hand telling him that it's okay.  His shoulders shrank back down and he almost sighed relief.  After that any time you let go, for whatever reason,  you would instantly reach back for each other's hands.

The walk back from the hospital was a lot longer than you had ever remembered, which you were both extremely grateful for and loathed all at once. It was probably because you were so tired, you were yawning an awful lot too.

"Are you still tired?" Hoon finally asked after what seemed like twenty miles later

"Neh, Do you think they might have given me something to make me sleepy?"  You thought that the doctors would have wanted you to sleep to heal or something like that.

"Ani, not that I could think of, they only said those two."  ('I was asleep too' he thought.)  He  Pointed to the slips of paper in your hand.  "Besides they had wanted you to wake up, perhaps it's just exhausting your brain trying to heal yourself."  He suggested

"Hmmm...maybe" *yawn* "How much further do you think?"

He saw the expression on your face and your tired eyes, and he stopped in misstep and pulled out his phone. "Yaboseyo, Ajumma...... Yes she's awake we're trying to get home....no that's why i was calling, would you mind coming to pick us up.....we're about five or six blocks from the hospital"  He spun around looking for land marks. "We're in front of the old post office...Neh...okay thank you, Ajumma...I love you too, bye bye."  He ends the call and looks back to you with a smile.  So what do you want to do for the next twenty or thirty minutes, Ajumma's still busy but she'll be closing up soon.

"Oh umm...well I'm not sur..."You start to say but are interrupted by the sound of your stomach growling.

"Well that looks like our answer.  Come on."  He said grabbing your hand again and leading you back the way you had just came to a cute little diner.  "It's not the best one in town but I like it well enough."  He opened the door and motioned for you to enter first.  "Ladies first."

You walk in and the first thing you smell is grilled kimchi and your mouth starts to water.  It was then that you realized you hadn't eaten anything all day and you really were extremely hungry.  Hoon leads you to a table off by a window so that you can watch for Halmeoni to come pick you two up.  As soon as you sat down you put your head down on the cold surface.  The waiter came shortly after and you lifted your head just long enough to order and let your head fall right back down after, slipping into a light sleep until the food arrived.

Hoon gently shakes your shoulder  "Hey sleepy head, foods here now."  You look up yawning to see the waiter standing over you with your plate of food. 

You snap head up eyes wide "Oh, I'm so sorry" You rub your eyes as the waiter sets your food down. You yawn again looking at Hoon apologetically.

"It's fine."  He smiles, so cutely.  "Eat now, I know you must be hungry.  Then we can get you home to a real bed." 

Blushing you nod and play with your fork until Hoon takes the first bite.   Once you starting shoving food into your mouth you couldn't stop.  You were just so hungry, and before you knew it, you had finished before he had even gotten half way through his.  Then you remembered  how slowly he ate and felt embarrassed at how quickly you had finished your meal.  You really wanted to lay back down but you knew it would be to rude, since he was eating.  So instead you wondered the diner with your eyes, examining each unique little decoration and every person who walked in.

It looked like Hoon was nearly finished with his meal and you were constantly looking out the window for Halmeoni.  You wished you weren't so tired, so you would be able to enjoy this moment, this long time, alone with him.  She hadn't shown up yetbut she should be soon, right?  You were starting to get a bit impatient but knew she would come soon enough.

A little while longer and still no sign of her.  Your eyelids were so heavy that you almost fell asleep sitting up.  Half asleep one second thenJUMP back awake, over and over.  Half asleep, "Ae-cha?"

JUMP, awake.  "Neh?"

"Come on, Ajumma will be looking for us now."  Hoon helped you stand and led you back to the door with a gentle hand on your back. Sure enough a few feet down the road was her little car.  You and hoon started in that direction and she eased the car closer.  She stopped right in front of you and let you get in.

"Annyong dear.  How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine.  Very tired."

"Oh, poor dear, okay well we'll be home soon okay."

"Neh."

After that it was completely silent other than the soft music that Halmeoni had put on the radio.  You staired out the window as the houses and shops passed in and out of vision, all eventually blurring into a single stream of lights and color.  You thought for a second, you wanted to lean over on Hoon, you wanted to be close to him, but fell asleep before you gathered the energy to even look over to him.

You slept the rest of the way home with the soft music lulling you to sleep, though it really wasn't a long drive at all.  When you get back Hoon wakes you, reaching over and petting your shoulder.   It makes you jump slightly and you regretfully crawl out of the backseat waking up more as you stand and walk around the car.  Halmeoni was already wishing Hoon a farewell and and you leaned against the hood of the car waiting for your turn.  She released him from a hug and turned to face you, realizing what you were doing she stepped back and headed to the house waving him goodbye.

"Sarang hae, chin-aehaneun" She said.

"Sarang haeyo, Ajumma."  He called back to her.  She left us alone.

You blush and pull a piece of hair behind your ear, still sitting on the hood of the car.  Hoon takes a step closer and you meet his eyes, big brown eyes.  You stand wrapping your arms around his neck and pressing yourself against him again.  That shocked him a bit, you could tell at how he stiffened then slowly pulled you closer, hands around your waist.  For the first time you were hugging him without crying and snot-ing into his chest.  It felt better that way, all warm and soft. 

"Gamsahabnida."  You say, half muffled by his shirt.

"Any time."  He rubbed his hand down the back of your head and stepped back coughing into his elbow. 

"Don't be getting sick now" you tell him.

"I'm not, promise.  Goodnight, Ae-cha"

"Annyeonghi jumuseyo, Hoon-min." You smiled to him and went inside to bed, finally.