The fate of a doctor

It Started With The Stethoscope's Owner!

 

In the late night, an ambulance was seen rushing its way down to the hospital. Arriving at the front entrance, a trolley that carried an unconscious man was pushed into the emergency department by the paramedics.

“Calling for Dr Shin!” A paramedic shouted, attracted the attentions of the nurses inside. Upon hearing someone called by her name, a lady who was checking up on her patient turned around and quickly ran forward, ignored the long white coat that moved rapidly due to her fast running speed.

Pushing her spectacles back to her nose bridge, she calmed herself down and asked, “What’s happening?” “Drug Addiction. When we reached there, he was already unconscious.” The paramedic answered, giving the only information he knew. The police officer who was standing aside, nodded his head, agreed with the statement said by the paramedic.

Understandingly nodded her head, she quickly bent herself down, examined the unconscious man lying on the trolley. “Patient is having constricted pupils, respiratory depression and also hypothermia. I guess it’s morphine overdose. Jiwon, I need Naloxone Hydrochloride and please prepare it for me now! And Shinji, I think I’m not able to free myself right now so can you help me to handle the new patient at cubicle A? Her IV drip is going to finish soon.”

“Okay, Dr Shin.” The nurses replied, immediately moved themselves to prepare the medication needed by their respective patients. As the medication used could has its own side effect, which could cause a change in mood and restlessness, Hyejung also reminded the nurse to make some precautions as she afraid that the patient might hurt himself during the onset of drug action.

Thank to this patient, the emergency room during the late night had become busy again, with Hyejung handled and took care of him together with the nurses, until he deeply fell asleep.

“Aww..” Hyejung threw herself onto a chair, resting her head down on the nurses’ counter. After finished up the drip of a patient, Shinji sat herself next to Hyejung and gave her a soft pat on her shoulder. “Dr Shin, it seemed that it was always this busy when you’re on duty.” She said, gaining another agree from Jiwon. “I guess they know that Dr Shin is very brilliant so they specially paid a visit when you’re on duty!”

Of course, Hyejung played along with Jiwon’s joke, replied “Yeah, I think I can even ask for Nobel Prize now. If I got this trophy, I will definitely share with you guys.” Upon hearing this ridiculous joke, Shinji burst into laughter, stated that she would definitely be the chief nurse thanks to the award Hyejung shared.

“Yeah, if and only if!” Hyejung smiled, with her hands continued to flip the file of the patients. “Shinji, please transfer the new patient at cubicle A to the medical ward after the drip finished.” “Okay, Dr Shin. Do you need a cup of coffee? I can make one for you!” Shinji said, stretched herself with a yawn.

Duty at night was totally tiring. Even they had already used to it, there was still some time that they lost to the call of an enemy. An enemy called biological clock of a human body!

“No, thanks. I love coffee but I can’t take too much. I’m allergic to caffeine and will suffer from chest pain once I drink over the limits.” Hyejung shook her head while her hands continued to write the unfinished reports. “Dr Shin, I totally admired you. You always this energized and never once complaint of being tired. I guess I’m turning old.” She said, respected to the young doctor who was still able to focus on her works despite being exhausted.

“Well… I just prefer to ignore it even if I’m tired.” Hyejung answered and glanced at the morphine overdose patient for once before she asked Jiwon to ask for his contact number once he was completely awoke.

“Take his contact number when he’s awoke. We’re having the right to tell his family about it. Besides, contact the social welfare tomorrow. I guess he needs some helps from them, especially the drug rehabilitation centre.” “Okay.” Jiwon nodded her head. This is why the nurses respected her as she always cared for her patients, giving them the emotional needs as well.

“I will stay in the restroom. Call me if you need help.” She said, headed herself to the end of the hallway. The slender figure looked even perfect under the long white coat, brimmed over with professionalism.

Slowly, the late night drifted away, with the silence returned back to the emergency department. With only the soft whisper of the nurses were heard, together with the light snoring sound of the sleepy patients.