Friends?

Friends?

 

    These few days I haven't been texting anyone or even talk to anyone. Silence through out the week. Talking about silence, Chunji broke it. He forced me to say something.
  "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked me again. He must be really concerned. I nodded and looked away,reading my book. He seemed fed up and took away by book.
  "At least say something," he begged. Fine, that's what he wanted.
  "I'm talking. Happy?" Oh gosh. That didn't come out right. It sounded more playful in my mind but it sounded more like I'm annoyed. Sugar Honey Iced Tea! He looked a bit hurt and rested his head on his arm. He was accompanying me at the library while I was doing some reading. He left suddenly. Was I that boring and silent? Who cares... At least I could finish my book in peace.
  It's Wednesday and we had a Sports Day thing going on. It was fun but I'm going to be really exhausted, plus there's dance lessons the next day and PE on the following Friday. :( Exhaustion!!!
  Everything was smooth until Chunji fell after running recklessly. I wasn't that worried because the way he fell was not that gruesome, so the injury shouldn't be that serious. Fortunately, he was fine. Just some minor bruises and cuts. No big deal. By the way, he's perfectly fine but he could be excused from dance lesson on Thursday though. :(
  I won the 100m race, 100mx4 Relay, hurdles and the ever so difficult, high jump. It was difficult at first. All the nerves wrecking my brain and losing my self confidence. But then I was all charged up and ready to win as many medals as possible. ;) I was really honored to be named, 'The Most Fit and Healthy Girl In School'.  The principal even shook my hand, his smile was sincere. Number one thing, our principal isn't very caring and he barely cares for the school so this is a first. :D
  Friday! PE or gym or whatever you call it. There was a new gym coach who was in charge today so everything is stricter than usual. right? We had to do 40 continuous squats, which is really painful than you think. Afterwards was the standing broad jump. I don't know why he was testing us on this bit who cares. I love jumping and this coach is strict as hell.
  "Everyone stand at the sides in a straight line. Girls on the left and guys on the right!" The coach yelled. Man, he's loud. Everyone was assembled in a straight line, waiting patiently for the coach's instructions.
  "I want each of you to jump as far as you can. A girl and a boy facing each other and jumping towards each other, careful not to hit each others' faces. Step a side a bit in order to prevent that from happening. Start now. Key and Nicole!" The coach yelled once again. I swear, I think my ears are about to fall off. Everyone did well, jumping towards each other with out fail. Then my turn came. I had to jump towards... Chunji. Why!?!?!! We positioned ourselves correctly before jumping forward. I swung my hands and bent my knees, ready to jump. Apparently, both of us forgot to step a side a little bit. As soon as I landed on my feet and so does Chunji, our faces were directly in front of each other. Less than 3 centimeters away. There was a slight hesitation to move back as both of us stared into each others eyes. I quickly stepped back and stood next to Min Hee, with and expressionless face.
  Oh my gosh. That was so awkward! Ahhh!!! I should've asked Sa Rang to do it with him. :( Worried thoughts start to flow into my mind... :( Ottokae!?!
  "Pull yourself together. That was just an incident. Not fate," I whispered to myself. I think I'm going crazy.
 
 
 
    On Tuesdays, for lunch, we would have great food being served. Like, pizza, high-class bread, fish and chips, etc. Anyways, today is Chunji's birthday. I didn't know what to get him so probably I'll treat him for lunch. By the way I was only 2 days younger than him so...
  "Happy Birthday!😁✌" I texted him in the morning,on the way to class. I didn't want to say in person because I'm dead right shy.
  "Thanks! :))" He texted back instantly. Little did I know was that we were right in front of each other, looking at our phones. Both of us looked up and laughed. I took out something from my bag.
  "Happy Birthday," I passed him a sincerely wrapped up present. He quickly reacted by ripping the present open until I stopped him.
  "Don't open it now! Wait until later then open it." I bursted out loudly. He was a bit hocked and obediently held the present and not opening it. We went back to class, silently, close to each other.
  "I'll treat you lunch," I said to Chunji. He ordered something really expensive. I didn't mind but still...
  "Let's share since it's expensive," he tried to brighten up my mood. He ordered a huge steak. That's so expensive! We ate together until a few girls were gossiping and pointing at us.
  "Are you two dating?" One of the girls asked, almost in tears.
  "No. We're just friends," I quickly replied. The girls seemed relieved.  Really relieved. Chunji suddenly looked at me.
  "What?"
  "I thought we were never friends," he said. I knew he was teasing. We both laughed and started to talk again.
 
  My birthday was coming up. In fact just two days after Chunji's. I know right? Coincidence much? I think not. Just kidding. Actually, the present I gave him was a confession letter and some gummy bears and a soft toy. I write a longer letter but I thought it was too long so I shortened it and write neatly on another paper. I wish Chunji would wish me a happy birthday though. Nah... Never mind.
[Chunji POV]
  I forgot about Hana's birthday gift that she gave me. I left it in my locker. I rushed to it and quickly opened the present. Just then, Sa Rang came up o me.
  "Can I talk to you for a sec?" She asked, innocently.
  "Sure," I gave in, completely forgetting about the present again.
  "I've been doing a lot of thinking and... Yes. I like you too."I can't believe she said that! Oh my gosh! I'm freaking out right now!
  "O-oh. Well, that's good," I stammered, what was I thinking. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. From then on, me and Sa Rang went out together and stuff new couples did. I went out with her the next day at school , during lunch. Luckily, there was a mini park there with beautiful flowers and a perfect place for my first date with Sa Rang. I can't wait to tell Hana about this!
[Hana POV]
  I don't know if Chunji opened the present yet. Anyways... TODAY'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! Yipee! I was walking through the park/garden at school, all happy and in a good mood, finally. But then, I saw Chunji sitting on the bench, with Sa Rang. She was hold his hand and reset her head on his shoulder. Wait, what!? She suddenly planted a kiss on Chunji's lips. WHAT!?
  Tears start to fall. Guess he didn't open the box yet. I don't know whether to feel happy for him or devastated. I thought these few days ha been good. Me and him spending time together with no awkwardness. I can't blame Sa Rang though. She is the ideal girl that Chunji wants. :( I didn't pay attention to the public and started to cry, sitting cross-legged at the sidewalk, covering my face with my hands. But then, Chunji came up to me, holding Sa Rang's hand and dragging her from the bag. They do look cute together.
  "Han- Why are you crying?" Chunji called out, noticing I was crying my eyes out.
  "Nothing. I saw you guys together and my mission was a success.  I was crying because you guys look great of together and I want a relationship like yours," I lied. What I wanted to say was the complete opposite. They left and I left crying a river. Soon, my room was filled with tissues and my eyes were puffy red. All I need to do is get over it and get on with my life. The letter doesn't matter anymore. He's happy and I should be happy for him too. In fact, I am. Kind of. 80%? Fine, 40%. Most of me hated this but I couldn't change it. It's his choice.
[Chunji POV]
  Hana must be really happy for me and Sa Rang. But I don't think so. I have this feeling that she was crying because he was upset about something. Probably me or herself or Sa Rang? Anyways, I opened the present that she gave me. There was a letter, gummy bears and a soft toy. Ha. She knew I liked gummy bears. We share a liking in gummy bears. I would have loads of them but she couldn't buy them herself. I don't know why. We would share our candy with each other. Sometimes. If she wants some. :)
 
 
 
  The letter read:
  Happy Birthday Chunji! I hope you enjoyed the lunch I treated you. Anyways, since this is the last year we're ever going to be together, as friends. And yes. You are my friend. But I wish we were more than friends. That's what this letter was about. I like you. I always have. Since last year but forget it. You're with Sa Rang now. The girl of your dreams. I'm sincerely happy for you two. Last long! :)
  Hana...
  She liked me? Me? She? Wait what? She liked me all this while. Helping me to get together with Sa Rang while she actually liked me. Not as a friend but more than that?  This is way overdue. I quickly ran to her house but half way through Sa Rang popped out. How the hell does she pop out of nowhere all the time?
  "Hey. I've got some news," she began, her face was somewhat neutral. I can't really tell whether it's good news or bad news.
  "What's up?"
  "I'm moving. To America,"she stuttered. I was a little upset but how could she leave me after 2 days after officially going out?
  "Here. It's from Hana. It fell off her bag a few weeks ago and I found it. You should read it. It's for you," she handed me a piece of paper. Another note!? She left saying goodbye, and making sure not to break Hana's heart and to take care of her. But I already did break her heart, umpteen times in fact. How many letters had Hana write about me? I guess a lot. She's a really emotionally disturbed girl. I have to comfort her in some way. I feel bad for not realizing the pain she had gone through because of me. This ! Why didn't she tell me at first!?!?!
 
  I ran to her house. She opened the door, and was shocked o see me panting.
  "Read it," I handed her the letter. She looked at it and looked back at me. I nodded, asking her to read it out loud.
  "Dear Chunji," tears already started to fall from her eyes."Yes you are my friend, never make of it again because being your friend is already a miracle. You've made me laugh and cry and showed concern to me. But now, another girl is in your mind. I knew it from the start that you liked Sa Rang in that kind of way but I like you. I know you won't like me back and it's basically a one-sided love. This letter is just to tell you how I feel." She continued, having a lump in . She could barely speak while crying.
  "Remember all the times I've been embarrassed by Min Hee in front of you, and running away from you. I did that because I didn't want I accept the fact that I liked you, for your weird self. All this time, helping you get together with Sa Rang had been the best and worst thing I've done. Knowing that you liked Sa Rang, crushed my heart but I hid the tears and the pain from you. So that you don't have to worry and watch me suffer. Thank you for all the memories and being my first ever real crush. I hope you have a wonderful future ahead. Say hi to your future girlfriend/wife for me! :)  Love, Hana." Even more tears fell from her eyes. I hugged her for comfort. I wiped away the tears and planted a kiss on her lips. She stopped crying, looking confused.
[Hana POV]
  He kissed me, on the lips. I kissed back a little but pushed away as fast as I could.
  "What happened to Sa Rang?" I asked, concerned about the other girl in Chunji's life. He smiled and said, "Saranghanda," and kissed me again. I was sort of frustrated but happy that he felt the same way.