Teacher's Pet

17/1

  Baekji headed to the locker room before going to guitar class. She took off her uniform and changed into her t-shirt and sweats. The only thing in her mind were those eleven guys she met earlier. Different faces and a jumble of their voices. Eleven guys were swirling around in her head. It actually felt like they were behind her at that moment. Baekji could have sworn she heard one of the member's laugh. She covered herself and turned and scanned through the empty locker room, and then finishing dressing up very quickly, paranoid.

When Baekji walked out, she kept looking forward and walked quickly, hoping that she won't run into any member of Seventeen. Only other trainees and teachers were roaming around and she wondered, Why am I even trying to avoid them?

In the back of her head, though, Baekji already knew the answer. Behind her 'rebellious' ego was somebody else. Baekji, in reality, is a quiet and reserved person. She doesn't like talking to people, honestly. Especially if  she didn't know them that well. But now, there are eleven boys that she might have to face in her class that she knew will talk to her non-stop.  She preferred it when nobody cared that she was in their class or ever talked to her. Do I have to train with them? She could already imagine now, in every single class she has, there's at least one of the members with her, talking for the whole hour and asking her questions.

Baekji took the elevator to the first floor to get her guitar in the composing room.

Come on..come on..

She tapped her foot until the elevator opened once again and walked straight to the room. It was a surprise to see that JR and Yoonjo sunbaes were in there recording. She couldn't get mad though, they were older and her seniors after all.

"Baekji-ah! Welcome back," Yoonjo smiled.

"Oh. Annyeonghaseyo Sunbae," Baekji bowed shyly. She grabbed her guitar off the stand right when it came to her view.

"Did you meet the boys yet, Baekji?" JR turned his chair to face Baekji by the door.

She nodded, "Yes, I did.."

JR grinned, "So what do you think? They're about your age. Hm-hm..Not bad, huh?" he wiggled his eyebrows. Yoonjo giggled.

"Umm..No." Baekji made a weird face.

"Well, they're still little trainee boys. Wait until they debut, after their 'idol transformation' and you'll think they're handsome," Yoonjo winked.

"Like me," JR added, nodding. Yoonjo hit his arm.

Baekji felt the awkwardness in the air, "Okay. I'll be leaving now,"

"Oh, wait. Baekji!" with Yoonjo's call, Baekji froze at the door, afraid that she might be late for class...

As usual.

"Did Woojin Unnie tell you that evaluation week is soon?"

Baekji's stomach churned. She forgot all about those. "What? Really? When is it?!"

"In the third week of January, but teachers said they're going to do the evaluations by level now. I think level six trainees will be performing on the first day."

"Aren't the only level six trainees, like, the Seventeen boys and Baekji? They're the only trainees Pledis is planning to debut soon, right?" JR asked Yoonjo.

"Well, there are a few other level six trainees, I think. I don't think they'll be debuting yet though," she answered.

"I'm glad we don't have to do those monthly training evaluation things anymore. Those were scary. I was only a level five trainee, but I got to debut anyway!" JR giggled. Yoonjo, who trained hard to become a level six trainee before she debuted, gave her hoobae, JR an eye.

"Good luck rehearsing for the evaluation, Baekji. We'll be there to cheer for you guys," Yoonjo grinned at Baekji.

"Yeah, no pressure or anything. Just Seventeen versus Baekji,"  After JR said this, he froze.

"Ohh, no. Baekji! You're against eleven guys. That's gonna be hard to top. Plus, they sing and dance. I'll be cheering for the Seventeen boys," JR joked.

"Hey.." Yoonjo elbowed JR.

"And think about when they get all their members in a few months; and I thought eleven guys was a lot. It will be a competition of seventeen over one,"

"Kim Jonghyun-ah," Yoonjo hit JR's arm again.

"Ow, sorry."

"It doesn't matter if you sing, dance, and what-not, or even how many members you have. The evaluation is all about improvement, talent, and potential. Baekji may not have a group, but she has a guitar. If you think that's not enough, you obviously haven't seen what she could do with a voice and some strings." she scolded him next to her.

"Don't worry, Baekji-ah. You'll do well, I already know you will." she leaned toward her junior, smiling.

"Well, as long as you stand out, and you know, in a good way. Don't settle for the same old-same old, they'll say your performance is boring. Show the judges something different. That will get you more points and you can beat 17 and debut first," JR nodded, with a face that knew how much Baekji wanted to debut soon.

"Okay, Sunbae. Thank you for the advice," she bowed to them a couple of times.

"I'll be leaving now."

"Good luck, Baekji. Fighting," they both waved.

"Thank you," she bowed once again before closing the door with her guitar in hand.

Baekji gave out a big sigh, overwhelmed at all the information that she got from JR and Yoonjo.

The evaluation is already in..

Two weeks. Baekji's eyes widened when she remembered that it was already the beginning of January.

She walked into class, thankful that the teacher wasn't there yet. Ten trainees were in her guitar class and when she opened the door, the noise of random plucking and strumming begun to irritate her. She passed by all of the students that sat on the wooden floor in groups. One was strumming open strings crazily. Another group kept plucking and sliding their finger up and down the finger board, giggling. And a level one trainee stood, holding his out-of-tuned guitar and pretended to be some 'rock-star', sticking his tongue out and 'smashing' his guitar.

  Baekji sat alone in the back wondering, why am I in this class...

"Why are we in this class?" a boy, seemingly happy quickly sat next to her. At that moment, the teacher came in and the whole class stood.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Seonsaeng-nim," they all greeted. Baekji stood next to the boy, seeing how short he was next to her.

As the students sat down, the class begun. "Hey, do you need a partner?" the boy asked her.

Do I need a partner? Baekji was just going to be honest.

"No."

He scratched his head, "Well..I need a partner."  He sat back next to her.

"I'm Jihoon," he put his hand out.

"I'm Baekji," she shook his hand.

He giggled, "I know. You don't remember me?" 

"Yeah. I remember you," she thought about it, but couldn't recognize his face.

"Uhh.."

"I'm from Seventeen!" he squeezed her hand, and she realized that she was still holding his hand.

"Oh. Oh yeah...I remember you." she lied, letting go of the clammy handshake.

As usual, the teacher's lesson today was something she already knows. She didn't listen, and apparently, neither was Jihoon who wouldn't stop talking to her.

"So..You're from America?" Baekji nodded.

Jihoon flipped his hair from his face, "My best subject in school is English, you know?"

"Really? You must speak English well then."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah~!" Jihoon was excited to see that she was impressed.

"Let's talk in English then," she smiled.

Jihoon did expect Baekji to say that. He scratched his head, "Oh, okay..um" he thought.

"Where..are you from?"

"I'm from Oregon." she replied.

He never of that place before in his life ."Uh..Where's that?" he asked in Korean.

"Under Washington."

"Oh, that's where your president lives, right?"

"Mm, no. Like, Seattle, Washington? It's on the northwest of the US."

Jihoon still had no idea where this 'Washington' was.

"It's the state above California," she added.

"Ahh..California! Okay, okay!" he nodded. He begun to strum a few things on his guitar.

"Do you know Maroon 5?" he asked in English. Baekji nodded.

"Alright! Alright! Y-you know song 'Sunday Morning'?" When she nodded again, Jihoon felt excited. He wished the guys, especially Mingyu was here to see this, so he can rub it in there faces.

I got her now...she's mine! He thought.

He showed off his guitar skills, strumming with his head bobbing, he begun to sing.

"That may be all I need. In darkness YOU are all I see. Come and rest your bones with me. Driving slow on Sunday morning and I never want to leave~"

Baekji found herself bobbing her head too. He was actually not that bad. A smile creeped up at the sides of her lips.

 

"They're not that bad hmm-hmm," JR's voice popped into her head.

Yeah. He's not, she thought. His English wasn't the best, but his voice was really nice.

"It's a competition of seventeen over one."

That woke her up. She forgot.

This is a competition.

"They can sing AND dance," JR added in her head.

He can play the guitar too, she thought.

"That's gonna be hard to top off. I'll be cheering for the Seventeen boys."

She looked at him, who was still lost in his song. Jihoon, who she once thought of as a new friend, was only one of her rivals.

This must be a trick, Baekji thought. Being nice. Is he up to something?

"Jang. Baek. Ji."

Jihoon and Baekji looked up. The teacher's arms were crossed looking down at them.

"Not paying attention to my lesson and interupting my class?!" he didn't give an eye to Jihoon.

She gave the teacher a confused look. Jihoon was the one who was playing, not her. Jihoon wasn't paying attention either.

So, he's trying to get me in trouble again, is that it? 

He wants me to get suspended so his group can debut instead?

"Teacher Jung, don't blame Baekji. I just wanted to play her a song. I'm really sorry for interupting the class," he stood and bowed to the teacher.

Who does he think he is, Baekji gave him a dirty look. The whole class knew that Teacher Jung was strict and hates all of his students. Baekji was sure that Teacher Jung was going to smack him in the head.

"Well, fine. Don't worry, Jihoon. I'll let this pass once just because you're my favorite student," Teacher Jung said softly.

Baekji choked. Teacher Jung has a favorite student?!

..And it's him?!

Teacher Jung chatted with Jihoon for a while and Baekji's jaw dropped. She never seen the teacher smile.

Today, he was just a ball of sunshine talking to his "favorite student".

"Baekji, close your mouth." his eyes darted to her.

He walked up to Baekji, his expression dropped to a frown that always scared her.

"Play me an ascending melodic minor in the key of d-sharp," he demanded. She immediately got a grip of her guitar and played the scale.

The teacher nodded with a poker face. "Jihoon?"

Jihoon played the same, but added an extra octave higher and ended with vibrato. Teacher Jung was impressed.

"Baekji, play diminished sevenths in the key of...B?" Baekji smirked and tried to play the scale at a faster pace with vibrato as well.

"How about Depapepe's "Fake" that I taught you two?"

Baekji tried to bring that song back from the back of her head.

The two looked at each other. Jihoon and Baekji played back and forth, battling each other, each sounding greater after another. Baekji always enjoyed playing this song. The rest of the class watched them, amazed. Teacher Jung just stood above them with his arms crossed, watching with pleasure at his two best students.

"STOP." with that word, their strings rung and their eyes turned to their teacher.

"Class is over. Good day, students." Teacher Jung walked off as the other students did too.

Jihoon got up first. "Good playing," he put his hand out to her.

"You too," she took his hand and he pulled her up. Baekji guessed that Jihoon wasn't such a bad guy.

They walked next to each other to the door.  "So, I'll see you later then?" Jihoon asked quietly, seemingly shy.

"Yeah, sure. See you later." when she looked at him, she was surprised to have to look down. He was a bit shorter than she was. She waved to him as they both left with their guitars.

"Hey Baekji," a boy passed by her. She bowed uncertain, assuming that he was another Seventeen member.

She stopped by the composing room to drop off her guitar into the case. She passed the lobby after to see two more Seventeen boys.

Baekji thought for a second. She knew their names. Yaoming and...Gwanyu??  No, that's not it.

"Hey Baekji," they waved.

"Hello..guys," she greeted. Baekji thought it was best not to say their names.

She continued to walk, not knowing where to go. She had about thirty minutes until her next class.

"Hi Baekji," boys would pass by her and she would bow, still not a-hundred-percent sure what their names were.

"Hey, Baekji"

"Hi, Baekji, hi!" 

"Noona! Nice to see you again!"

She got to the point where she was tired of bowing and waving. It seems like every boy in the building was a member of Seventeen, she thought. She walked to the end of the building. It was quiet and no one seemed to be around.

Baekji heard voices, and that's when she realized that she was by Manager Woojin's office. "You both are interupting work throughout the whole building! It has only been two months since you two have begun training here. You must realize that being a training is not a joke and is something that the rest of the trainees take very seriously,"  It sounded like Woojin was giving one of those lectures that she would give to Baekji. But who else would Woojin give them to? Baekji wondered.

 The door opened to reveal her manager. "Oh, Baekji! Perfect! You're here! I need you to watch over some stuff for me until your next class," Baekji was startled from her sudden request. "Um. Sure? What is it?" The door opened wider to reveal two familiar young girls.

"Hey Baekji Unnie! You're back!" both of them waved to their sunbae with joy.

"Oh~no. No, Woojin-nim. You can't!"

"It's the least you can do for me! All that you have to do is keep them out of trouble for..thirty minutes. Not too long!"

Baekji looked at the two fourteen-year-old girls messing with stuff on Woojin's desk. They are the CEO's nieces, Youngsoo and Yoohwa.

 "Do I have to?"

"Oh come on, Baekji. You are their rolemodel! Look at them! They wanna be just like you."

Baekji looked at them again. Yoohwa just ripped a fart on Woojin's chair. "Sure they are.." Baekji replied.

"Youngsoo! Yoohwa! How about you three have a walk around the building and catch up for half an hour?" Woojin pulled the girls out of her office to Baekji.

They smiled at her creepily, trying to hold in excitement. "But it's my break," Baekji complained in a whisper.

"You already had your break. For two weeks! It's my break now," Woojin replied.

"Okay guys! You all have fun now!" her manager pushed them out.

As soon as Manager Woojin closed her door, Youngsoo spoke. "Guess what, Unnie! When you were gone, Yoohwa and I pulled one of your classic pranks!" Baekji found it a little amusing how much these two girls admired her and called the pranks she pulled in the past, 'her classics'.

"The 'Triple 'O prank!" Youngsoo and Yoohwa sang and gave a high-five across Baekji.

"The what?" Baekji was confused. Apparently, Baekji had names for her pranks.

"Of course! The 'Triple 'O Prank',  as in, 'the triple office prank' that you pulled on October twelfth, at five-twenty pm?" Yoohwa answered.

"'Triple' as in the 'Mouse in a Blanket' prank, the 'Post It' prank, and the 'Switcharoo Keys' prank? It's one of your best!" Youngsoo added.

"Okay. Yeah." Baekji was surprised how much Yoohwa and Youngsoo actually remembered. They really seemed like her fans.

It creeped her out.

"Well, let's not talk about any of those pranks and gags anymore. I think you should listen to what Woojin told you guys."

Yoohwa and Youngsoo stopped to look at Baekji straight in the face, "Is this coming out of the Jang Baekji? The Gaegujaengi?!"

Baekji nodded, "Yes."

The two girls looked at each other, shaking their heads, chuckling.

"Seriously, guys. Those days are over. Training should be an important thing that I, and you both too, should be focusing, especially if I want to actually debut soon."

As if neither of them listened to what she and Woojin told them, Youngsoo replied, "You must have gotten all brainwashed during your time of in Mokpo and forgot about all the fun."

"Poor Baekji," Yoohwa tsked.

"But don't worry! As a little welcome back celebration from the Youngsoo and I, we planned a fun game. -Or should I call it a competition?" Yoohwa grinned. Baekji didn't like where this was going. Youngsoo and Yoohwa jumped infront of her, "The Dun-dun-duh-dun! First annual 'Prank Week!!" They cheered with flying arms. "The game is simple. Within these thirty minutes, when Woojin-nim's out for break, for each prank we successfully pull, we get one point. At the end of this week, whoever has the most points, wins!"

Baekji looked at them in disbelief, "Seriously, let's not do that-"

"-And did I mention what the prize is going to be?" Youngsoo grinned.

Youngsoo got her attention, "What?"

Youngsoo and Yoohwa looked at each other, giggling. Youngsoo took something from her back pocket to reveal tickets.

Right when Baekji saw it, she recognized the silver tickets. She stared at them in awe.

"That's right. The two last platinum tickets to the SHINee World Concert."

Baekji could have just grabbed the tickets and ran off, but she just kept staring at them. She frowned and looked at the two girls, "Yoohwa. Youngsoo. Let's not do this," Baekji thought about get suspended again, or even getting dropped out of the company, if she ever messed around.

"Well okay, Baekji. If you say soo," Youngsoo sang, fanning herself with the tickets. "Yoohwa, are you a SHINee fan?"

Yoohwa nodded, "Not really."

"Me neither. What can I do with these two tickets then?" she shrugged. "Maybe I'll just shred them." Youngsoo took the two ends of a ticket, about to rip it in half.

Baekji held her arm, "-Wait!"

Youngsoo and Yoohwa looked at her, "Okay. I'll do it," Baekji sighed. The two girls smiled mischeiviously and gave each other high-fives.

Youngsoo and Yoohwa pulled Baekji over, so that they were huddled in a circle. "Okay, the rules are simple. Pull the most pranks within this break is the winner. Pranks can only be pulled in these thirty-minutes, others will not count. -And also, these pranks can only take place within the Pledis Building! No cheating. The one with the most by the end of this week, shall will the prize!"

Baekji tried to find loopholes in the rules. So what exactly is their definition of "cheating"? She had a plan.

"Oh, and before we start." Yoohwa dug into her shopping bag that Baekji only noticed now. She placed a basebal cap on Youngsoo, and then herself. "Here you go, Baekji," Baekji put the hat on, confused. "Why do we have to wear these hats?"

"These are camera hats. I got them for Christmas," Yoohwa smiled.

"Wow, awesome. How did you get camera hats?!" Youngsoo examined her hat.

Yoohwa shrugged, "I know a guy."

"Why do we need camera hats, though?" Baekji looked at her hat and saw the little camera inside.

"Just so nobody cheats or lies about how many pranks they've done."

Dang it.. Baekji thought.

"And also, it will be entertaining to watch  the videos at the end of the day." Yoohwa put on her hat, patting her head.

"Shall we begin?" Youngsoo asked with eyes that showed excitement.

"Yes!" Yoohwa shook her fist.

"Um. Sure," right after Baekji's last words, she had second thoughts about this.

"Okay. Today, we have twenty-six minutes to prank as many people as we can!"

Baekji worried. Is she really going to risk her training and debut for two tickets?

"Ready."

If she drops out of the game, will the two girls leave her? What will they tell their uncle, the CEO of Pledis?

"Set."

Was there any other way out of this?

 

"Go."

______________________________________

(A/N) So this is Chapter 3. It takes me forever to type just one chapter huhuhu... T.T  Yay. Baekji meets Jihoon today.

 YAY JIHOON.

There will be more of the Seventeen members in the future chapters, don't worry :) Is there a certain member that you would like to see in the next chapter?

Don't forget to comment~must know if there's someone out there reading this~? Thanks :D