Chapter 1

An Absence of Choice

 

Once.

Twice.

Nope, nobody’s home. That’s enough putting myself out there.

I began to turn back to the all too pristine hallway I had come through. It was no more than you would expect, really, from a building that could potentially cost me more than 1,000,000 won a month.

 And for a tiny room in some stranger’s apartment, that sure was alot.

But, the location was perfect. Just a few blocks from Korea Uni.

It was pretty ironic actually. How I made it here, in this overpriced, superficial excuse for a ‘modern, fully-fitted inner city condo, perfect to become your own cosy hide-away.’

It was my parents more than anything.

They are good people, don’t get me wrong. I wasn't pressured my whole life me like most kids I know. Well, not directly.

It went more along the lines of, “Kyungsoo, you are a smart boy. You could get into Seoul University if you put in enough effort.”

All of that kind of senseless banter would continue through my senior year. The 'oh so subtle' hints and expectaions they were laying on my shoulders.

But I think they knew they couldn’t push me. I would put in the work I deemed necessary. And I did.

So, evidently, I made it into Law at KU. I was chuffed. And really, what could the same course at another uni get me? Aside from more pressure and tragically competitive souls to be ranked against?

That’s what I thought. Nothing.

Anyway, that was the other thing about my parents. They babied me to no end, yet they insisted I tried living outside of home, “To meet new people and experience the ‘real world’.”  

They’re both hypocrites, but I did like the idea of it. Until I actually got here.

I digress.

 

I was just about to run down the stylish hallway of possible-apartment-option  2.5, screaming manically in my wake before the door crept open from behind me. If you’re curious, let’s just say, what could have been option 3, wasn’t particularly habitable. Not without some industrial grade insecticides at least. Or maybe just a nuclear bomb would do it.

Wait, didn’t I read that cockroaches could survive a nuclear holocaust?

In that case, were all screwed. Destined to become slaves to the almighty cockroach king; the emperor of the new world.

Sorry.

I tend to stray from my topic when I’m nervous.

Yep, that habit will be great for my future ambitions…

 

Anyhow. The door to my possible inhabitance opened.

I found the ad on a Korea University forum; an unlikely place but effective nonetheless.

And from that, all I had known about my new potential flat mate was:

  1. His name was Kim Joonmyeon.
  2. He went to KU.
  3. He was looking for a roommate.

Well, the last one was a given I guess.

But, what I wasn’t aware of was how absolutely gorgeous he was.

The moment I turned back to my original position; a foot from the door, I was met with a blindingly radiant smile.

That was definitely an asset and a half.

“Hi!” He extended his hand, clearly expecting me to take it. I was a little too flustered to properly react, however.

Probably, as to eliminate all of the awkwardness I was emitting, he withdrew his hand and settled for a deep and respectful bow.

By that time I had regained the blood to my brain and managed to reciprocate the action.

“Ugh... Hello.”

If you hadn’t noticed by now, I hadn’t been forced to meet new people for a very long time.

“You must be Do Kyungsoo, right?” He asked, his smile only blinding me further, “I’m Joonmyeon. But don’t worry about formalities, just call me hyung.”

I decided on just nodding my head, letting a small smile grace my lips.

“Come inside Kyungsoo,” he instructed as he brought his hand to the top of my back, gently pushing me inside the apartment.

It was pretty hilarious actually. Kim Joonmyeon, or hyung, I should say was no taller than me. And I can assure you that isn’t very tall. I don’t exactly have height on my side.

His smile was charming and his eyes were soft, someone that was definitely trustworthy. Or at least looked it.

He looked genuine.

The apartment on the other hand was a sprawl of textbooks and empty cans of energy drinks. Just a quick glance gave me enough evidence of his extremely late nights, or completely lack of them. He was a medicine student. There was no question.

“Sorry about the mess,” he blushed, bringing his hand to the back of his neck comically, “but it was worse before you came, I can assure you.”

I couldn’t help but chuckle. There was no doubt about it; this guy was an angel.

The flat itself was light and airy, but small enough to receive its ‘cosy’ status.

“I was surprised to find someone replying to my ad so quickly,” He said, turning to me blankly, his expression quickly changing, “No, don’t get me wrong! I was so glad! You know how it is, there was no way I could afford this place on my own.”

“Oh, um. No. I wasn’t…” I tried to clear things up.

I really have no talent in salvaging any situations. Talents for making things awkward on the other hand? Well I think I deserve a medal for that. Or a sticker. 

“Oh… What happened to your last roommate?” I asked, desperately attempting to keep the conversation running.

He visibly choked up. I could tell this wasn’t an easy subject for him.

Damn it. I’m such an idiot. I shouldn’t have asked.

“She was my girlfriend but things didn’t exactly work out.”

“I-”

“It’s okay Kyungsoo, honestly, don’t worry about it,” he replied, all too understandingly, his smile gentle with a hint of regret.

I decided not to push it further. Luckily I don’t think he wanted to either.

“Well,” he began awkwardly, “You can take a look around if you want, I'll show you the room, but before that, can I get you anything? Coffee, Tea?”

“Oh, yeah. Tea would be great,” I said with a smile, “Thanks Joon-... Hyung.”

Oh god, this was awkward. And too make things worse, Joonmyeon was almost too nice, he was showing me up.

And. Even worse than that; he was straight.

Out of bounds for one Do Kyungsoo. Not that I’d have the guts to do anything about it anyway.

. Why am I so pathetic?

I made my way into the ‘living room’ which wasn’t exactly much of a room. It was more like a section of the kitchen/dining room minus a fridge and plus a couch.

It wasn’t long before Joonmyeon came in to meet me.

“Um. I couldn’t find any tea… So I brought you some… crackers…?” He handed me the plate of plain crackers with a confused look. It was as though he were seriously questioning why the hell he thought crackers were at all equivalent to the tea I requested.

That’s what I was thinking at least.

I took the plate in my hand, almost simultaneously bursting into uncontrollable laughter.

I really loved this guy. He was perfect.

Joonmyeon just blushed.

 

 

I sat on my bed that night, reviewing the rental agreement.

Upon immediately accepting Joonmyeon’s offer to become flatmates, I was handed a considerable stack of papers. He was pretty prepared, i'd give him that.

Regardless, the place was great.

My room was a reasonable size, plenty of storage space.

Not only was the apartment great, but it was a meagre 10 minute walk from uni.

And to top it all off, my roommate was the most considerate and adorable human being I had ever met.

I wasn’t even bothered by the ridiculously overpriced rent seeing as I had been working almost full time for 9 months.

Oh yeah, I didn’t mention I deferred for a year.

Well I did. And it was great.

But that’s beside the point.

I was on cloud nine.

All that was letf to do was read and sign these stupid forms and the keys were mine. 

 

 

A/N:

HI GUYS!

Here we are. First chapter: Complete.

I'm quite excited about this.

Please comment and let me know if you like it or not, if there is anything i should change or if there are any mistakes, because i wouldn't be surprised.

And, If you think this is going to be about KyungsooxSuho, don't worry. I am just introducing things... Someone special will come along soon enough.

I think Kyungsoo is just a bit desperate...

Also i'd love to know what you think about the characterisations. Is it believable?

Anyway.. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks :D