Chapter 4

An Absence of Choice

 

I think it’s safe to say that it was not a good idea to drink as much as I did. And somehow, even after most of the people had left, Joonmyeon, Baekhyun and I seemed to think it would be a great idea to take shots over a very aggressive game of snap.

It was painful, that’s for sure. I’m pretty sure my knuckles were bleeding at some stage too.

And I probably should have recognised that, no, I’m not a huge person. And small people like me, are destined to be incapable of handling copious amounts of alcohol.

 

All I could do was lay in bed on that Sunday morning. Or afternoon. I didn’t have the current cognitive ability to figure that one out.

My head was throbbing to say the least. Honestly, I just wanted to curl into a ball and sleep for the rest of my life.

But I knew that could never happen, and after considerable internal debate, I managed to crawl out of bed, making my way towards the kitchen.

 

Joonmyeon stood before me making what smelled to be breakfast.

In conjunction with my hyung’s questionable cooking skills however, my hangover really wasn’t making the food look or smell at all appealing.

I groaned, alerting Joonmyeon of my presence. He turned around, smiling sympathetically at me.

“How are you feeling?” His voice purposely lower to make things more tolerable to my aching head.

“I’ve been better,” I replied, all too truthfully.

“Well, I made some breakfast,” He smiled, flipping an omelette out of the pan.

Great. Chicken foetus. Just what I want right now.

“Sorry Hyung, but I really couldn’t keep anything down right now.”

Joonmyeon only sighed, “…Well, at least drink this.”

He handed me an orange fizzing concoction. Some kind of electrolyte supplement.

I managed to get it down with great distaste.

“Did you at least have fun last night?” he questioned, ushering me to sit down.

“To be honest I don’t remember much, but I think so…”

“…Kyungsoo, how much did you drink?” His voice changed to somewhat concerned.

“Really, not that much. I just have an embarrassingly low alcohol tolerance,” I sighed.

“Well, why don’t you go and have a shower. You’ll feel better.”

It was then that I happened to remember a small aspect of the prior night.

“Alright…Suho.”

 

As warm water trickled down my back, the night’s events flooded back to me.

Meeting Joonmyeon’s friends and fighting with Baekhyun, which wasn’t particularly surprising.

But most noteworthy was meeting a certain suave young man. Jongin.

My heart began to flutter at the thought.

But before I could think anymore of it I turned off the taps, jumping out of the shower.

 

Truthfully, I didn’t really know what to think.

I mean, he was one of those people that you’d assume to be a one night stand kind of guy. It didn’t take much more than a glance to figure that out.

He was a stunner. A charmer.

Well he certainly charmed the pants out of me.

. I hope not literally.

I mean, I was drunk, but not that drunk.

Just the thought caused that ever growing blush creep onto my cheeks.

 

It took me a good few hours to regain feeling in my skull. No thanks to a not so angelic Hyung of mine.

As soon as I came out of the shower I was bombarded with couch cushions.

“HEY!?” I yelled, questioning why I was being abused when I was clearly in no state to defend myself.

“You, Do Kyungsoo! What did you call me just before?” Joonmyeon all too childishly whined.

I couldn’t help but chuckle once again at the nickname he was given. It seemed only ironic now though, seeing as he was in no means protecting me.

“I thought you were supposed to be my guardian,” I teased, kicking the cushions out of the way to deplete his ammunition.

I really hadn’t expected this level of immaturity from Kim Joonmyeon, the medical student, the kind and caring angel.

“Who the hell told you about that stupid name!?” he clearly was not impressed by his not- so befitting title.

“Could you at least stop throwing those at me?”

“Oh… Yeah. Sorry, I got a bit carried away,” he apologised.

The onslaught finally ended. I couldn’t have been any more relieved if I tried.

“But please don’t call me that, it really annoys me. My idiot brother calls me that,” Joonmyeon begged.

“What’s wrong with Suho, it’s cute.”

“That’s exactly what he says,” Joonmyeon deadpanned.

And, oh so conveniently, a smile seemed to inch itself onto my lips, crimson ensuing on my cheeks.

“What…?” Joonmyeon asked, with a curious scheming to his voice.

My throat suddenly felt all too dry. I just hoped to god Joonmyeon wouldn’t be like Baekhyun. There was no way I could handle two of those sassy bastards.

“Oh crap, I really have to go to the toilet!”

My absurdity when it came to on the spot lying really was off the scale, but I have a feeling Joonmyeon was starting to get used to it.

Before I could turn to run away, a surprisingly forceful hand grabbed my shoulders to turn me back around to face the guardian in question. 

Still gripping my shoulders to prevent any one of my movements, Joonmyeon began, “I was just talking about my brother. The one you met last night. And you smiled like a flustered teenager… Care to explain?”

“I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“Kyungsoo, this can take as long as you want it to,” He rebutted, with a patient but condescending tone.

“Fine…” I caved in, but really, I used the opportunity to try and escape his tight grip.

All I can say is it failed miserably.

“Fine,” This time I actually gave up, “Jongin and I just talked for a bit.”

Joonmyeon’s eyes lit up and his mouth forming something similar to that of a surprised emoticon.

“You and Jongin? My brother?” He questioned, his toned mocking but it didn’t really bother me. What bothered me was how similar to Baekhyun he was acting.

“Please don’t do this,” I whined, eluding to his all too familiar interrogation, “Nothing happened.”

“That’s clearly a lie. Just tell me and we’ll be done with this.”

“Oh, I don’t know! We were both drunk, and he gave me a teeny tiny little kiss and that was it. Nothing,” I said, playing it down, but, really, when it happened it wasn’t nothing.

I’m pretty sure my heart exploded because the most stunning boy I have ever met kissed me.

“Kyungsoo! That’s not nothing!” Joonmyeon almost screeched, causing me to want to hide under a large pile of blankets and never come out, “I didn’t even know Jongin swung that way!”

“See, I told you. He was just drunk.”

“Trust me, he wasn’t drunk. You do not want to see him when he’s drunk,” Joonmyeon’s smile crept back onto his lips, laughing at his own joke.

I wasn’t sure how to interpret that.

“Kyungsoo. You must be something special if you got a kiss from my brother,” He insisted.

I eyed him disbelievingly. I mean, Jongin was way too ing attractive for a kiss to be as unlikely as Joonmyeon was making it sound.

“I’m serious. He may look and dress… and act…like a , but really, he is pretty shy about that kind of thing.”

I could feel my soul being taken over by that ever present owl.

“Oh my god Kyungsoo! You are so adorable.”

Great, because that’s not patronising at all…

“Don’t look so surprised!”

By then I’m pretty sure my bones had gone limp under the embarrassment of the situation. I really could have died.

I think Joonmyeon managed to catch on though, finally releasing me from his death grip.

“Sorry. Sorry, that was a bit far,” He retreated, smiling sheepishly.

I could only mutter grumpily in response, turning around to scuttle back into my room and hide from Constable Kim Joonmyeon, of the interrogative task force.

Reaching my bed, I was stumped.

I couldn’t call Baek for advice. He would be no more help that my useless guardian was. He’d be worse in fact.

But before I could comprehend my actions, I had bolted off my bed, searching my usually tidy bedroom floor for yesterday’s pants.

Upon finding them, I reached into the pocket, half expecting to find it empty and a lot of questions about last night subsequently answered.

But no. There it was nestled between the fabric.

A tiny, crinkled piece of paper. A piece of paper with digits that meant all too much.

“You’re on your own with this one Soo,” I mumbled to myself, staring down at the paper, my pants hanging from my other hand.

.

This could end in one of three ways.

  1. I could call Jongin. It would be horribly embarrassing. But things would end in rainbows and butterflies
  2. I could call Jongin. It would be horribly embarrassing. But then he would remember what happened and freak out and never talk to me ever again
  3. I could not call him and die being curious as to what might have happened if I called that mysterious boy

Well, I think number three was ruled out. I couldn’t handle that. I am way too intrusive for that to ever happen.

I stood there for what was probably 10 minutes, debating in my head which of the first two options would become reality.

 

Ah, it!

I reached for my phone, slowly typing in the number supplied by that villainous scrap of paper.

I knew this couldn’t have been a good idea, but my head was starting to throb again and I couldn’t handle this inner turmoil.

I needed to take control of myself and actually man up.

I pressed the call button and brought it to my ear.

5 rings was what it took.

 

“Hello?” A slightly raspy but deep voice echoed into my ear.

.

 

 

A/N:

I don't remember how long it has been since the last update. But i really think i will have the next one out alot sooner! You just wait.

I think you can guess whats going to happen!

But please let me know what you think of the Kyungsoo/Suho dynamic. Should i tone it down? 

I don't know.

But please comment and subscribe ^^