Chapter 6

An Absence of Choice

The restaurant was what I expected from Jongin. Intimate and casual.

Not that I was complaining, I wasn’t really in the mood for anything that required you to raise your voice to 200 decibels to even get a word in.

He was looking dazzling as usual. His tie perfectly contrasting with the starched shirt beneath.

My nerves on the other hand had grown exponentially as we made small talk.

When we finally sat down and ordered I was ready to run. Definitely not something a normal person, who went on normal, casual , no strings attached dates with perfectly normal but perfectly perfect strangers, would do.

Jongin looked up from his previous position, once again locking eyes with me and subsequently causing my breath to hitch.

“So tell me about yourself,” His nonchalance becoming another factor to the endless list of things I am both jealous of and admire about Kim Jongin.

“Well. For a start, I don’t normally do this,” I could see a smile creep onto his face. He was clearly trying to stifle a mocking smirk, but I decided to continue regardless of my awkward that was reeking out of me. “So you’ll have to apologise if I seem a little out of sorts.”

“It’s fine Kyungsoo, it’s cute,” He replied with that same repressed smirk, “Continue.”

“Okay…” I hesitated, “ Well, I’m as of Monday I’m going to K.U. to study law, and before you say anything, I’m not doing it because my parents made me or because I wanna be rich. I’m genuinely interested.”

“I don’t think you should be walking around telling people that you are interested in law,” He retorted with a cheeky grin, “Not if you want to make friends at least.”

I could only open my mouth in disbelief of his sassy behaviour. Wow.

“Well, what do you do Mr. I’m-so-interesting.” I snapped, partially losing my cool. Well, my…luke warm.

He scoffed back at me. 

If this was going to be the tone of the whole ‘date’ then I wasn’t sure how much longer I would stand. It was like ing Baekhyun has possessed everyone around me who I could potentially be friends with. First Joonmyeon, now Jongin.

That jealous .

“Nothing right now, but I’m going to be heading off to school. Same as you actually. To study drama.”

It was my turn to scoff.

“Study drama?”  I ridiculed, probably being a little too cynical for whatever this occasion was.

“Yes. Do you have a problem with that?”

I sighed in resignation.

“No, I suppose not,” I muttered, my stubbornness suddenly bubbling up inside of me, “It’s just, when I think of ‘actor’ all that comes to mind is arrogant jerk.”

“Well, I could say exactly the same for lawyer.”

It was then the waiter was heavenly sent to break up our conversation. Bringing us away from our little battle we had accidentally gotten ourselves into.

 

The dinner gradually calmed down, our mouths managing to restrain themselves. At least whilst we were eating.

It wasn’t that bad honestly. I kind of liked the way Jongin was willing to challenge me. And I liked that I could challenge him without worrying he was going to break down.

Certainly not the typical first date discovery. But hey, what can you do?

 

Inevitable as it was, the playful bickering began once again when we got the bill and it was abruptly snatched away by the little kid in front of me.

 “You don’t have to pay Jongin, this isn’t the 60s.” I ensured him. Being the characteristic gentleman was overrated anyway.

“But I want to. And there’s nothing wrong with being a little bit chivalrous is there?”

I couldn’t help but let the blush creep back to my cheeks.

“Okay fine. But I’ll pay next time.” I assured him.

Silence.

That arrogant smirk once again made an appearance.

“Next time?”

.

Ok. There goes my ‘play hard to get’ card. It’s ok Kyungsoo. Just bounce back.

I said bounce back.

“Ahh…”

“It’s ok Kyungsoo. I’m just playing with you,” he patronised.

As soon as he had paid for the meal I grabbed his wrist and yanked him out of the building, whining, “Let’s just go.”

 

The walk home, aside from being exceptionally longer than both of us had anticipated was filled with light conversation and laughter.

I liked Jongin. He was so easy to be myself around and even though I tried unnaturally hard to supress some of my dorkiness, Jongin just made it impossible.

I felt like I owed it to him to give him nothing but the real me. I don’t know why.

Maybe because he seemed just all too genuine as well.

“So how did you get into acting?” I asked, in an attempt to move on from my dig at his chosen career path earlier in the night.

“I don’t really know actually. I guess when you are the youngest you have to learn to get yourself seen and heard. Especially when you have Suho as a brother.”

“Yeah. I could see how that could be a problem.”

Eventually the conversation dropped off, but the verbal gap between us was breeched as Jongin’s hand reached around to mine, entwining our fingers.

I could have died right then and there.

Kim Jongin’s hands were like silk, wrapping mine perfectly, keeping me warm.

“You’re hands are cold,” he said turning to me, “It’s nice.”

I smiled back to him, trying desperately not to give away the immeasurable delight I was suppressing.

My hands were slightly clammy but I was hoping he didn’t notice. If he did he didn’t show it.

“Do you wanna come back to my place?”

Hang on…

Did I just ask that out loud?

Do Kyungsoo. Did you just ask Kim Jongin if he wanted to come over?

What does that even mean?!

“Oh…”

“I don’t mean anything like that!” I half yelped, “Just to play…Zelda or something, I don’t know.”

Zelda? Zelda Kyungsoo? Really?

“I was gonna say yes originally…but now I’m not so sure,” Jongin smirked.

I had probably given him a dose of owl eyes once again. Either he was mocking Zelda or he just said yes to on the first date?

“I-”

I was totally blank.

“I’m kidding!” He roused, swinging our tangled arms back and forth in elation, “You don’t have to look so freaked out.”

Within a second Jongin had broken the seal of warmth our hands had made, motioning to the convenience store right beside us.

“I’m just gonna go in and get some condoms, do you want anything?”

WHAT!?

I swear I almost had a cardiac arrest.

“Kidding!” He laughed, almost toppling over with laughter, “I just need to go to the ATM.”

“Stop it Jongin!” I said, punching him lightly, before realising how ridiculously pathetic I was being.

But come on. Two in a row. That’s not fair.

“You are really cute when you blush, Kyungsoo.”

With that I pushed him into the store in annoyance, turning around on my spot, waiting outside for him.

Now that Jongin was gone, it was my only chance to warn my flatmate, and Jongin’s brother that said mischievous yet gorgeous kid was going to be making an appearance at our apartment.

Bringing the phone to my ear, I waited for his reply.

“Kyungsoo?”

“Hi Joonmyeon hyung. Um… I just wanted to tell you that Jongin was going to be coming over and-”

“I get you Kyungsoo.” He was probably wiggling his eyebrows at me, “Even though I’d much rather you didn’t my baby brother, period. I would rather not be there when it happens. Good to hear you hit it off though.”

“Hyung!” I yelled.

Those two sure knew how to jump to conclusions.

“I’m not going to……” I whispered so no-one could hear, “your brother. He is just coming over to hang out. You can stay if you want. I just thought I’d let you know…”

It was going to be ing awkward either way.

“No Kyungsoo. I’m already getting my stuff. I’ll be at Yixing’s if you need me.”

 

I was probably the most nervous I had ever been whilst unlocking a door.

Jongin was standing behind me, almost breathing on my neck, making what is meant to be a simple task relatively impossible.

I know Jongin had been here countless times before I had moved in but I still felt pressure for it to look like something out of a fairy tale. It was supposed to be romantic.

Hang on Kyungsoo. This is not a date.

Easy tiger. One step at a time.

“Can I get you something to eat or drink?” I asked, distracting myself from my forward thinking as I took a step into the apartment.

“Oh. Um..” He pondered, surveying the area and successfully putting me further on edge, “a beer?”

“Beer?”

. I didn’t want to be the one to supply the minor alcohol.

Nor did I want to be a party pooper.

“Hyung,” He said, throwing his arm over my shoulder, “I’m just messing with you, tea would be perfect.”

3rd time tonight.

“Jongin.” I whined, picking his arm up and pushing it off of me. Not the most dreamy of gestures but it was heavy. And I was tired.

That’s what I told myself anyway. It couldn’t possibly be because I couldn’t handle any more physical contact. No.

 

As I made him a cup of tea I could feel his eyes boring a hole in my back. Why he felt the need to stare at me was beyond comprehension but it effectively gave me a swarm of butterflies nonetheless.

“Have I told you how cute you are?”

What.

I chuckled.

I couldn’t quite figure out if it came out sounding edgy or incredulous.

Either way I was going to be dubbed Sir Awkward of Socially-Retardedshire.

What worse was I felt Jongin’s hands place themselves of my hips, slowly snaking their way around my waist until they clasped at my front, head resting on my shoulder.

“I- Um.. Here’s your tea,” I quivered.

But before I could pick up the steaming cup to hand to him I was turned around, face to face with that mysteriously childish boy.

“Well you are,” He added before leaning down and crushing his full dark lips onto mine.

Jongin didn’t mess around, moving straight into biting on my lower lip causing me to be left behind in my stupor.

He clearly recognised that I was a little slower when it came to all of this, so he reached for my hands between pecks and brought them up to the back of his head, encouraging my fingers to card through his soft locks.

As I began to settle into a steady rhythm, his lips attacking mine, he hoisted me up by the thighs and onto the bench.

I could feel my heart rate fasten and…

“!”

I basically kicked Jongin off me as I jumped from the bench in agony, falling to the floor.

“Kyungsoo!?” he yelped, leaning down in a panic.

Holy it hurt.

“The ing tea,” I whimpered, trying my best not to burst into tears from the pain.

It was then that Jongin probably looked up and saw the scalding liquid spilt on the bench and down my back.

“!” He shrieked, looking around in alarm, “I’m gonna help you to the shower. You have to run cold water over yourself.”

Picking me up bridal style, Jongin walked me to the bathroom, being careful not to touch my burnt .

He helped me peel off my shirt, before turning his head and helping with my other half. Ever chivalrous Kim Jongin.

“Will you be able to do the rest?” He asked, head still turned away from my semi- body.

In any other situation I would be mortified. But I couldn’t bring myself to worry seeing as my was melting.

“Yes.” I managed to mutter, pulling myself into the shower as soon as I could.

“Ok, I’m just gonna wait outside,” He said walking out of the bathroom, his voice shaking, “Call me if you need anything Hyung.”

“Ok,” I sighed as I felt the cool rush of the water fall onto my skin.

Was this really happening?

Did I really just burn my of boiling tea after a steamy make-out session with basically a stranger?

How ing ironic.

“Should I call an ambulance!?” I heard from the other side of the door.

I took a deep breath, feeling the pain subside significantly.

“No Jongin. I should be fine.” I called above the sound of the water.

 

Assuming we made it past this horrendous excuse for a first date, I think I liked Jongin.

A little too much seeing as he was the one who caused many future sleepless nights.

Joonmyeon was right when he said Kim Jongin was a pain in the . 

 

 

AN:

Wow. weird huh?

As you could probably tell this was completely unplanned. That was probably why i took so ing long because i had no idea what i was gonna write for this chapter.

I was gonna make Baekhyun call kyungsoo and interrupt them but then everything just fell into place and i couldn't resist.

im not sure even what the point of it was. but at least you got some kaisoo right..?

anyway. please comment and let me know what you think. its alway always appreciated.

^-^