Prologue

Warzone

Prologue

 

I love you.

 

I hate you.

 

Can you tell the difference? Can you?

 

Love and hate are often described as opposites, yet how come they sound so alike? It might as well be the same thing. After all, they are uncontrollable, intriguing and fully capable to take over the major part if not all of our lives. They can bring you true joy, momentary satisfaction, false happiness and let’s not forget pain…the soul tearing pain. In other words, either can be the fuel that keeps us alive or the devouring power that consumes us completely.

 

They are so alike, yet it is obvious that they are not meant to coexist.

 

Why?

 

Because that’s life, that’s why.

 

But is it then possible to love someone as much as you hate him?

 

Well, in your mind there is a fine line between love and hate; a border that’s supposed to keep the calm in the chaos. A wall that exists as an attempt to maintain the peace that frees you from the thought of choosing to love or to hate. You are free from all the sentimental complexities.

 

However, life is unpredictable and peace is fragile. The moment it is disturbed…is the moment you turn into a warzone.

 

You become the object of wicked schemes and corruption, ‘love’ and ‘hate’ form a battlefield, they fight and they make sacrifices. They do everything…anything to conquer you, to be the one to raise their flag and claim their historical victory.

 

Now, if we go back to the question: is it possible to love someone yet at the same time hate him just as much? The answer is: Yes. It is absolutely possible

 

but will you be able to live through the war?

 

~*~

 

‘I, Yoo Youngjae currently have three wishes. It might seem like a lot or one too many, but wishes are like dreams…they are free, sometimes completely out of our reach, yet they give us just enough hope to keep us moving. It is the kind of luxuary we all can afford. That's why I can shamelessly allow myself to wish...

 

One…

 

I wish I never met him.

 

He created too many ‘ifs’ in my life. If I on that day years ago hadn’t overslept, I wouldn’t have to rush to school. Then I wouldn’t have crashed into him and uttered flushed apologies. If that never happened then maybe I wouldn’t have heard that enchanting voice that assured me everything was fine. There would have been no fateful first meeting. And if we hadn’t met, then maybe he wouldn’t have taken the seat next to me after his brief introduction. If that never happened then maybe the boy from Busan wouldn’t even have noticed me in the remaining school years. If I by nature was less curious then I wouldn’t have turned to look at him. I would have been able to resist the temptation to let my gaze wander over the new face. If my eyes had been elsewhere that moment, that particular moment then I wouldn’t have caught the sight of him smiling…and become totally captivated.

 

Two…

 

I wish I was stronger.

 

If I was stronger, I wouldn’t have fallen so hard so easily. He wouldn’t have been able to pull me in so deep. If I was stronger, I would have been able to break loose from his invisible chains and free myself from his grasp. If I was stronger, I wouldn’t have made the mistake of offering him my heart on a silver platter. Then he wouldn’t have gained so much power over me. Lonesome droplets of tears wouldn’t slowly run down my cheeks…I wouldn’t cry. Thus, I wouldn’t be able to taste the saltiness of my own weakness on my lips and fill an entire room with my bitter and broken laughter. He holds absolute power…and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

 

Three…

 

I wish to live.

 

Jung Daehyun…shall we live through war?’