iii. Park Yoonhae

The Cost of Being Friends

warning: mature language

I was in such a good mood today, why ruin it? Minhae and I got called down to the office together, and now Minhae's freaking out. It's not helping that the stupid guidance counselor told us not to talk, and that we're in big trouble. What trouble did I do? More importantly, what did Minhae do? She's a freaking sweetheart, an angel. She doesn't do anything wrong, I'm sure of it.
"It will be okay." I reassured her, as I looked at her with caring eyes.
Or at least I hoped so. I didn't even know what was going on. This was all really stupid if you asked me. Calling us down, when we didn't even know what we did wrong. 
The counselor was being a huge , as she told me, "Be quiet. It's not going to be alright."
Minhae looked frozen on spot. Holy , way to make her feel better. I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes. She was so annoying, I hate her.
"Split them up." she spat, before taking Minhae into the inner doors.
No... Why did you have to take her first? I know that I didn't know a single thing that was going on at the moment, but tears began to fall. I'm never this sensitive, am I? I'm afraid... Scared... What has this got to do with Minhae out of all people? She's not a trouble maker, she never once was. I'm afraid for her. I'm scared for her. I've endured a few office calls before in my 6th grade years, but I've never been truely afraid until now. It frightens me that my best friend is getting in trouble for something that could be basically my fault. I still don't have the slightest idea of what's going on. I need... I need reassurance myself. Where's someone when I need them? 
"Do... do you want a tissue?" a different counselor asked me, offering me her box of tissues. 
I nodded my head, before I took one. I blew my nose. I didn't care how horrible I looked. This feels like life or death right now. I'm still so confused. So... confused.  I felt tears coming out. I'm so sensitive when I shouldn't be. I wiped them away. No need for tears when I didn’t know what the hell was going on. Jaenus finally came in. I looked at her in surprise. What was going on? She took a sit on one of the chairs. For the moment, I didn’t feel like seeing her. I didn’t feel like seeing anyone. I didn’t feel like seeing anything. This feeling of... lost and confusion and not knowing what’s going on is softly hurting me. 
“Moon Jaenus, would you come in here, please?” a voice--a voice filled with what sounded like poison--called.
It was the guidance counselor’s voice. She sickened me. How could she not let me even reassure someone? I didn’t feel like looking up to look at her face. It makes me sick to my stomach. looking at her.

I waited a few minutes by myself nervously. I still haven’t known what this was all about. This was all really stupid, really. How are you just going to call me in, and not even talk to me?
“Park Yoonhae.” 
I looked up. Her face made me furrow my eyebrows--something I do when I dislike something. Of course she didn’t know that, but I wished that she did. Then she would see my hate. She .
“Are you coming or not?” she snapped.
I narrowed my eyes, before getting up and walking to her. So rude. You make me wait for like, ten minutes doing nothing when I could be learning some type of boring math problem. She led me down the halls, and into her office. It wasn’t even a good one.
“Do you know why you’re here?” she asked, looking at some sheet of printed paper.
Well , if I knew, I would’ve told you.
“Not a clue.” I replied to her, trying to calm myself down.
“This is about your post on Facebook. About Minjung?” she informed me.
And in that instant, I froze. Not a single thought was running in my head except for one: this was my fault. I was the one who posted the facebook post. I was the one who was careless enough to put in her name. Why... how did this happen? Minjung doesn’t have a facebook, does she? So this was my fault. I got all of them in trouble, just because she somehow found my post. Tears began to form in my eyes. I never knew that Facebook could be so damnned cruel. The guidance counselor pissed me off though. It was like she didn’t think that I should cry since it was my fault. She looked like she knew everything, when she didn’t. She didn’t know my side of the story, so she was obviously rooting for Minjung. She clicked her tongue at me, before flipping the paper in her hands. An officer came in at that moment, and he sat down beside me. In his hands also had a stack of printed papers. I took a peek. There, laid a picture of KONY2012. Huh, I never knew that he was into social news.
“So you know why you’re in here, right?” the officer asked me, still looking at the paper.
“I do.” I sniffled, rubbing my tears on my jacket’s sleeve.
I still peeked at the papers he was holding. Wasn’t it a bit unprofessinal to be reading KONY articles while interviewing a person in trouble? But when he flipped the page, that’s where I lost it. It was the post, pixel by pixel copied onto a piece of paper. All of the words, all of the anger, laid in the hands of a police officer. I started to cry even harder. This was in no time to show me that horrible post that made me get all of my friends in trouble.
“Then can you tell me what happened in this facebook post? What’s all of this... trees and mosquito thing?” he asked me.
I opened my mouth to reply, but I don’t. Oh , what the do I say? Jaenus has changed her story three times now. Which one did she choose to confess to the officer? Although it seemed like I didn’t notice, I did. How could one not see the difference from outside in the cold with no blanket, then with a blanket, and then camping? I think I’m thinking too hard. I barely noticed all of these tears on my face.
“W-well, Jaenus had told us that she was just camping with her family when Minjung reported her. So Minhae and I were just joking around, saying that Minjung had reported her because it was dangerous outside. Because mosquitos could kill. But we didn’t really mean it. It was all just a joke.” I choked out, silently hiccuping due to the crying.
“And Jaenus had commented, saying that she was going to kill Minjung...” the officer pointed out.
“She didn’t mean it.” I defended instantly. 
Of course she didn’t mean it, right? She’s too innocent, even if she beats up Baekhyun half the time, pinching him and slapping him for some reason. I think she’s been influenced by me. It was something I look back on, and scoff at. I left my ‘bully’ position about a few months ago, but it seemed like Jaenus picked it right up when I left it off.
“She’s too nice to do that. She’s too small to.” I added, gulping down my saliva, and sniffing up my snot.
I wiped my tears on sleeve again. I’m not used to crying this much in school. This is an odd feeling for me right now.
“I see. Well, Yoonhae, come follow me to this other room. We’ll have a conference.”

I’ve never cried so much in my entire life. I walked out of that conference room with Minhae beside me. We both headed to Mrs. Song’s class to get out backpacks, because this whole thing lasted through the whole first period. I went into the classroom, and I headed straight for my backpack. The people in the classroom looked at me in curiousity. I ignored all of their questions. This wasn’t a nice time to ask questions. I was still enraged from Minjung. I was still mad at myself.