ii. Lee Minhae

The Cost of Being Friends

flashbacks are dark gray

I walked into the room, talking to Yoonhae about last night’s Yahoo session. It’s really funny how close I’ve gotten with her in the past months. It really is. We sat down in our desks, before continuing our conversion.


“I really can’t believe...”

“I know right...”

We continued our conversion, until the bell rung, causing me to take my math binder out. Mrs. Song received a phone call that I just ignored. She was never interesting anyways.

“What?” I suddenly heard Yoonhae ask, shock written on her face.

“You and Minhae need to go down to the guidance office.”

I’ve never been called down to the office. I must’ve done something wrong if Yoonhae and I were being called down to the office. Panic rushed through me, but I reassured myself everything was going to be okay. 

“For what?” Yoonhae asked again.

“I don’t know. I’m guessing the both of you aren’t in trouble though. Come here for a note,” Mrs. Song assured.

I felt a wave of relief go through me, but deep down I was worried, scared about everything. I stood up slowly, unsure of what was going on. Yoonhae, maybe nervous, abruptly stood up and started to walk  out the door. Mrs. Song looked at the already walking Yoonhae in shock.  I stood at my desk and looked at Yoonhae funnily. 

“Yoonhae, you need a note first,” Mrs. Song said while holding out the note. Yoonhae turned around and took the note. I followed Yoonhae as she walked out of the room.

For the first time while walking with Yoonhae, I didn’t know what to say. I was confused on what I was thinking. All that mattered was walking to the guidance office and figuring why I was in this situation. I was in such a daze that I didn’t even notice we were in the school’s lobby, already near the guidance office. I took a deep breath and took a step into the room. Yoonhae’s back was reassuring as I walked in. Everything is going to okay, I thought.  But what was in front of me argued with this fact, the counselor looked irritated. She looked at me and Yoonhae like vermin. 

“You two are in big trouble you know,” she almost spat to us. I felt tears begin to fall. Why are you crying Minhae? Why are you being so selfish? You idiot.. You don’t even know what happened. Calm down. 

“It’s going  to be okay,” Yoonhae assured me.

“Be quiet. I didn’t say that you could talk, and it’s not going to be okay, because you’re in huge trouble.”


“Split them up,” the counselor said. A woman, one I didn’t know, lead me down what seemed to be a long hallway. A hallway I was never supposed to walk down. A hallway that felt like hell. 

“Sit there,” the woman said to when we reached the room at the end of the hall. I followed to where she was pointing and sat down in the chair. I looked out the door and saw Yoonhae being still in the lobby.

People, outside of the secluded room I was in, were moving around in their normal schedules.  I wish they closed the door. I didn’t want them to see me. I didn’t want to see them. I just wanted to disappear. I didn’t want them to see me and judge me. To them, I was just another bad kid getting punished. My parents always tell me that I’m a good person, but today I’m a bad person. Though, I don’t know exactly why I’m here I have a good feeling. Friday, I did something I regret. I told Jaenus and Yoonhae that Minjung was the one who told the counselor. Minjung trusted me with that information but Yoonhae and Jaenus kept talking about the snitch. I felt like I was betraying them by knowing who the snitch was when they didn’t. But in reality I betrayed them by telling them who the snitch was. What did we get in return for my fat mouth? Being called down to the office and now they hate Minjung. 

The counselor looked at me and said, ”Come in here.” 
I followed her hand and took a deep breath. I walked to the counselor’s office. When I was about to walk into the counselor’s office, Jaenus walked out of the room. For a split second, I got to look at her swollen, teary-eyed face. I hope she’s okay. I walked in the counselor’s office and sat down in one of the two gray seats. In the second seat a police officer was sitting next to me. I shifted in discomfort and sniffled. Don’t cry.
“We’re going to ask you some questions,” the counselor informed. The police officer beside me was holding sheets of paper. My eyes lingered around the paper and I saw that it was the facebook posts from last night. Crap...

“Minjung told us the basic rundown of what happened.” The counselor was calm when she said the words. She acted like this type of thing happened on a daily basis. 

“Can you explain this tree and camping thing,” the police officer said while looking at the papers. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes I looked down at my shaking, pale hands. 

“It was a joke. It was a joke between Yoonhae and I. I emailed Minjung and told her how I thought it was wrong that she reported the incident to the office, how Jaenus wasn’t being abused. She replied saying that it was wrong for a parent to tell their child to stay outside. It wasn’t as violent as what Jaenus said. We joked and said that all there was trees and wind. We joked saying that trees and wind could kill you because of the email,” I ranted. I silently chided myself for ranting. Sometimes I wish I could shut my mouth. If you could we wouldn’t be in this situation. You ing idiot Minhae. The police officer raised his eyebrows when I said what we said wasn’t as violent as Jaenus’ words.

“Oh I see. How did they see your email,” the counselor asked me. 

“Yoonhae knows my password,” I told her while looking at my hands. I felt my nose start to run and my eyes to tear up again. 

The counselor handed me a couple of napkins and said,”According to Minjung, you told Yoonhae and Jaenus that Minjung was the one who reported the incident. You do realize that Minjung did the right thing.”


Today is  Friday.  Two days ago Minjung told me that she reported the incident to the office. Again and again Jaenus , Yoonhae, and Taeyeon talked about this “unknown” snitch. Guilt was eating me alive. Their words keep replaying in mind.

“I hate this girl.”
“We have to find out who did this.”
“When we find her, I’m going to make sure she’ll pay for this.”
“Whoever this is.. This person made an inspector come to our house and check on us. If this happens I might have to move out of my parent’s house,” Jaenus said.
“I can’t believe they’re sending an inspector. It was nothing.”
“I know.. what happens if you have to move?”
“What happens if my parents are arrested for child neglecting.”

To make matters worse I still had what Minjung said to me the day she told me she was the one who reported the incident.

“I’m going to tell you something but you can’t tell anyone,” Minjung told me while we were sitting in band.

“What is it,” I asked, in excitement. I was hoping it was information of her boyfriend that she never talks to. I wish they would talk and touch more. 

“I’m the one who reported the abusing to the office. You can’t tell anyone,” Minjung says it as if it wouldn’t affect me at all. 

“I won’t,” I barely mumbled. 

Today is Friday and school has ended. Jaenus and Yoonhae were walking down the street with me. For some very odd reason I open my mouth and make an abrupt decision.
“I’m going to tell you something but you can’t tell anyone,” I told Yoonhae and Jaenus, taking a deep breath I continue,” MInjung was the one who reported the incident.”

I take a deep breath and look at my friends. By now, we were at the curb where my mom picks me up from school. I saw my mom park at the curb. Yoonhae and Jaenus walk away from me, with their faces looking at. 

While walking backwards, Yoonhae called out to me,” Don’t worry about Minhae! We’ll take care of it.”


I didn’t respond. I didn’t know how to respond. When I didn’t respond the counselor continued her speech,” Nothing would’ve happened if you didn’t saying anything. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

I let what she was saying seep through my mind. Why did I tell Yoonhae and Jaenus what happened? Why did I allow Yoonhae to read my email with Minjung? I don’t know how long I thought about it because when I look at the counselor with my teary eyes, she’s looking at me with annoyance. 

I open my mouth and with my voice broken and dry I told her,” Sometimes we scold people for actions even when we do them.”

The counselor nodded her head and she said,” Exactly right.”

I looked at the counselor in shock. I sat there and let myself think. I’m young. I make mistakes. I’m not as wise as the counselor. I don’t know what’s wrong and what’s right. What I did was wrong, but the whole time I believed what I did was right.

“I’m glad you know what you did was wrong. We’re going to have to call your parents and you’re going to have a disciplinary referral. The disciplinary referral is going to say you were bullying,” the counselor said. In the corner in my eyes I saw the police officer look at the papers.

“In these papers, I see that Jaenus said that she was going to kill Minjung,” the police officer said while reading over the papers. 

“She was just mad at Minjung. She didn’t mean it,” I say loudly. I was surprised on how loud my voice got in the defense for Jaenus. 

“That’s all we need you to talk about,” the counselor said. I stand up and take a couple of napkins in my hands. I follow the counselor and she points to a chair I am supposed to sit in. I take a seat an empty chair. The chair was under a table. She led to me a secluded half room with no door. Behind me was a microwave and food. Across where I was sitting a girl with a beautiful sock bun, not a single hair out of place. She looked up from her homework with her face scrunched up in worry. Her eyes were a pretty blue, with her eyes surrounded by black mascara and eyeliner. 

“Are you okay,” she asked me. 

“Yeah,” I nod my head and hold a napkin to my nose. I let the tears fall. I didn’t deserve any worry because there was only one thought running through my mind, I’m a bullly.


I can’t process anything but this single thought. I don’t feel or say anything even after we reach the bathroom. I don’t feel anything when we reach Chinese. I feel peering eyes but I don’t feel nervous or sad because Yoonhae and Jaenus’ presence makes me feel confident. Besides that I don’t feel any emotion but guilt. Finally the day ends and I don’t even bother going straight to my moms car. Today,  I rebel. I walk around the school aimlessly. Then I suddenly walk to one of my favorite places around school: the band room. I walk down the empty hallways until I hear something not often heard in the small, crowded band room. I heard rock music coming from the band room. I walked in the room and stood there like an idiot. I was amazed.  I knew the song surprisingly. The song makes me take in breath. My phone suddenly rings. My hands fumble and I avoid the call after I see the caller ID tells me its my mom. My eyes tears up as I think of the disappointment I’m going to have to face. I was the child they thought was innocent, smart, and they thought I was  a good person. .I don’t think I possess a single one of those aspects. I’m not inncoent. I’m smart but I made a stupid decision. I’m not a good person. I’m a disappointment. 

“Hey, are you okay,” the lead singer, Sunggyu, asked me. I lift my head and my eyes look at Sunggyu. I didn’t even notice I was crying in front of my favorite rock band. I wipe my tears and turn around, ready to leave the room. 

“You don’t have to leave,” the drummer assured. I stop and look at the band in bewilderment.

“Do you want to listen to us,” the guitarist asked. He smiles shyly and they all look at with.. Pity? 

I stand there for a minute or two and just staring at them, wondering what I should do. Sunggyu looked at me and grinned,” That’s okay. Music doesn’t require words. You can just listen to us.”

“Okay,” I muttered. I stand there, looking at them as Sunggyu puts his mouth to the mic. He closes his eyes and the band takes that as a sign to start playing. They were perfectly in sync, like they knew each other in and out. I listen Sunggyu’s sweet voice sing as I look at his unmatching face. His face looked held back and indicative. His voice sounded like warm, inviting chocolate. I give one last glance to Sunggyu’s face and then I close my eyes just like Sunggyu does.

“Do you want to name the song,” I heard Sunggyu tell me. My eyes flutter open and I see them smiling at me.

“This song is new huh,” I asked them. My voice sounded cracked and pitchy.

“Yeah, do you know any of our songs,” Sunggyu asked me while the other members packed their instruments away.

“Just a couple,” I told him. 

“I see.. What do you want to name this song,” Sunggyu asked me while grinning. 

“Limestone,” I replied to the band, after I think for about a minute.

“Why,” the drummer asked me, like I was crazy.

“My best friend’s name is Jaenus, like that cavern made of limestone,” I admitted.

“I see,” Sunggyu mused, before he joked,” Isn’t Janus also a Greek God meaning two-faced?”

“That’s Janus, not Jaenus. Plus today I’ve realized who are my real friends and Jaenus is one of them,” I teased back. I walk to the door and I smile to the band. Thank you. You made me forget about my problems for a moment in time. Thank you.