i. Moon Jaenus

The Cost of Being Friends

It all happened so quickly. Why was I here? Why was Yoonhae here? What’s going on? Yoonhae was sunk in her chair. She looked frustrated. What did I think? I think i’m angry. Minjung has crossed the line with my little white lie. Because of this scratch on my face, I had told a little fad to make them feel pity on me. At first, I had told them that my mom slapped me, and her fingernails scratched my face. Sure that didn’t happen, but they believed it--just like how they believed all of my other pity stories. I also added the ‘fact’ that my mom got pissed at me, and forced me to sleep outside with no blankets whatsoever. I think that was what made Minjung tell. When she told the teacher, I got called down into the office. It was the worst thing that could’ve ever happened to me when I told a pity story. I found out that she had told a teacher about my ‘problem’, and that teacher had told the guidance counselor, and now look at this mess i’m in. Well, on the bright side, I’m not going to go down alone. Yoonhae, Minhae and Seoyoung are all going to go down with me whether they like it or not. Why would they get into this as well? Well, Yoonhae posted a little joke about this situtation on Facebook--using my second, no wait third story--and Minhae commented, making me comment as well. Seoyoung commented her feelings onto it, too. Weird at how they had all been friends with Minjung longer then they have with me, yet they took my side. Ha! I’ve gotten them wrapped around my finger. Too bad I don’t have that power with Taeyeon as well. 

“Moon Jaenus. Would you come in here with me, please?” the guidance counselor told me.
Her face was so ugly. Ugh, like seriously. But I got up anyways. Time to get my act on. I followed her into her office. 
“Do you know why you’re here?” she asked me.
“Not really.” I replied innocently.
“Do you know how serious your comments were on this Facebook status, right here?” she asked me, pointing at a copied out page of the Facebook status.
Wow. Minjung actually copied it and printed it out? She must’ve really wanted us to get into trouble. Props for her.
“Well, I didn’t mean them.” I replied to her, as I forced my eyes to tear up by bitting my tongue.
“How could you not mean them? It’s all right here.”
“I was just talking out of anger! My parents are going to be sent away, and... and I don’t know what I would do without them! I mean, they’re not... they’re not that bad.” I defended, a tear falling down the side of my face.
I wiped it away, just to make it seem realstic. I’m a wonderful actress, if I do say so myself.
“Well honey, the best you could’ve done was to keep quiet, because no matter what, you were threatening this girl.” she snapped at me.
I gritted my teeth. Whatever.
“But I didn’t mean it! It’s not fair! I wasn’t really going to kill her, I mean look at me. I’m 4 foot 11.” I told her, hoping that it would get me out of trouble.
Why am i defending myself anyways? Yoonhae was the one that posted the status. Just because I commented. Bull.
“Yes, but there are ways you could do it. I’m sorry, but i’m going to have to discuss this with your parents.” 
“What?” I asked.
“We’re going to have to call your parents. This has got to stop.”
I put on my best sad face, even though I was really estastic on the inside. I can’t believe that that’s all they’re going to do. Call my parents. Wow, such an amazing punishment.

Soon, we were all put into the conference room. Yoonhae was crying like there was no tomorrow. She was so weak. Weaker then I though she was. At that moment, Minjung came in. I cleched my jaw. I wasn’t in the mood to see that . She started this whole thing, and this wasn't supposed to happen. When I told that white lie, I wanted attention and love. I hated the way Yoonhae and Minhae were growing to be good friends, better than before. Minhae and Seoyoung were constantly bonding because of study hall and the band class they had together. Taeyeon was close with everyone; Minhae, Yoonhae, and Seoyoung. I was left out here in the cold, what else was I supposed to do? My parents don't give me the attention I want because they have work and they have to take care of my little sister. I hate it that they're becoming closer and I'm not getting closer to anyone. Yoonhae, Minhae, and Minjung were the sentimental ones, they were supposed to give me more attention that I craved. I loved them but they never give me the love I need. I want them to be my best friends. I don't want to share these friends with anyone else. Yoonhae and Minhae shouldn't be best friends. Minhae and Seoyoung shouldn't laugh and joke. Everyone is supposed to show me sympathy and love. I hate it how they didn't. This whole incident happened because they didn't give me that love, that attention. 

After getting my things from my Science class, I went down the stairs to meet Yoonhae and Minhae. They were both still really teary-eyed. It kind of made me feel bad about that, because they got into trouble due to my lies and trying to defend me. But whatever, they were the ones that put themselves through this. Not me.
“The guidance counselor told me that we could have so time to recollect before we get to class.” I lied to them, before pushing them into the bathroom.
To be honest, I didn’t want to be seen with Yoonhae still sobbing like a manic. Her face was really red, and I don’t think Baekhyun would like it if I walked into class with Yoonhae looking like that. I had this huge major crush on him, but he kept ignoring me for Taeyeon or Yoonhae. I showered him with gifts and promises, but he would never look my way.
“I can’t believe this just happened to us.” Yoonhae muttered.
“I know. At least now we know who’s truely our friends, and who we can trust.” Minhae commented.
I nodded my head.
“Yeah. We’re all really close now. I’m really thankful.” I told them, before opening my arms for a hug.
I don’t mind that Yoonhae was the one who hugged me. This was the attention I craved for, but her tears were horrible. They stained my jacket. I patted her back, and pretended to cry just a bit, before she pulled away. I never knew that she was this emotional. Funny how she still hasn’t even gotten her period yet.
“We should get back to class now.” Minhae suggested, before wiping the corners of her eyes.
Yoonhae nodded her head in agreement.
“Yeah. I just want to get to Chinese class, and forget that this whole thing happened.” she muttered, her voice hoarse from all of her crying.
I should should have been the one answering that.
“I’m never ever going to be able to forgive her.” I stated, as we walked out of the restroom.
“I’m not going to either. She was the one that started all of this.” Minhae agreed.

 


A few days have passed, and we all have been ignoring Minjung. I didn’t need her to shower me with attention. Minhae and Yoonhae were good enough. But the fact that Minhae and Yoonhae were always talking, bothered me the most. They were supposed to be talking to me, not amongst themselves. I got my laptop smashed because of these two. At least come and talk to me. Well, at least Baekhyun had been noticing me a lot more now. He’s so dreamy, I wonder when he’ll be mine.
“Hey guys.” Baekhyun greeted, before sitting down next to Yoonhae on the ground.
“What’s up?” Yoonhae asked him.
A flick of jealousy engulfed my body. Great.
“Baekhyun~ I got you some hello panda.” I told him, taking the box of biscuits out of my backpack.
He instantly looked at me. 
“Ohh~ Really?” he asked, before lounging for the box.
I held it back. That’s right, I held them back from my crush, because I want him to want them--just like how he’ll want me.
“Come here if you want them!” I exclaimed, ignoring the conversion that Minhae was having with Seoyoung.
All I needed was Baekhyun right now, and he was going to give me the attention I wanted from him. He crawled over to get the box from me.
“What do you say?” Taeyeon asked, pushing my hand to the other side.
Baekhyun looked at her and frowned. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. He was supposed to be looking at me, and saying thank you to me, not Taeyeon. She makes things so hard sometimes.
“Uh... Thank you for the hello panda Jaenus?” Baekhyun asked Taeyeon, wondering if he said the phrase right.
He just said my name. It sounded like a heavenly voice was saying it. It was so beautiful, I couldn’t even comprehend my thoughts.
“That’s good enough. Proceed!” Taeyeon granted cheerfully, like she had just won a grand prize or something.
Maybe I won’t be mad at her for today, since she got Baekhyun to say my name.
“Can I please have it now?” Baekhyun asked me, as he turned to look at me.
I handed him the box.
“There you go Baekhyun~ Eat well!” I exclaimed, giving him my best face.
He took the box. I expected him to stay next to me and Taeyeon, but he crawled back to his spot next to Yoonhae.
“Hey Yoonhae. Did we have Geography homework yesterday? I have to know, so I can do it during study hall.” he told her.
I swear, he’s always talking to Yoonhae. It’s like... it’s like he has this thing for her. I huffed, before letting the thought go. Even if he likes her, I don’t have to worry. She likes Luhan anyways. 
“You’re so stupid Baekhyun. We have that map to do about North America, remember? And why couldn’t you just ask Dongwoo about it?” Yoonhae asked.
Baekhyun pouted his heavenly pout. I don’t even have to be in this conversion to be content.
“Because i don’t know where he is! Besides, you always sit here, so I can ask you whenever I want.” he replied to her.
“What happens if I’m not here anymore?” she joked.
“Then I’ll just have to follow you!” he replied, before chuckling.
Just as I was about to clench my fists in jealousy, the look on Yoonhae’s face made me stop. Her eyebrows were furrowed, and her face showed that she was weirded out.
“Ew, creepy.” she commented, before she pushed him softly.
Baekhyun just started to laugh even more. It was like he liked messing with Yoonhae, and getting a reaction from her. 
Maybe I should be more like Yoonhae. Myabe that’s what it takes for him to be mine.