Hug

Kosher

 

Changmin took a seat in the arm chair and sank down into soft bottom.  Out of courtesy he forced a smile while Joohyun sat down on the couch, keeping her spine straight, shoulders, back.
“So how was work today?”

“Work, was…” He paused. “Work was alright,” he nodded afterwards, making himself agree. Joohyun picked up what she had been looking at before.

“What is that?” He asked sounding awkward.

 

Surprised Joohyun placed it back on the table. “It’s our family photo album.” She glanced at him, “would you like to see?” Changmin leaned forward to look as it was opened. The first picture was of a couple with their arms around each other. The man reminded him of an Indie musician with his curly hair and glasses. The lady was beautiful, a small face and long, windswept hair.


“Are those your parents?”

“Yes,” Joohyun turned the page to show one from a wedding. Her mother looked striking in a long sleeved wedding dress, the father really cleaned up in the tuxedo. They also appeared as a very smitten couple when posing in hanboks. Turning the page Joohyun revealed more couple shots. Some as they stood in front of a tea farm and others on bay sides. “They went to Jeju island for their honeymoon.”

“Ah,” Changmin had never been but it seemed nice, if it wasn’t too sunny that is.


“They were married for nearly fourteen years.” Joohyun’s smile came and went as quickly as a passing breeze. The next pages showed the couple with two others; a Joohyun with dark hair in between the two while their mother held a small bundle in her arms.

“Is that you and Minyoung?” Joohyun nodded.


“Yes she was just born then.”

“Wow,” Changmin peered closer. “Families are interesting.”

“What about you Changmin-ssi? Do you have any brothers or sisters?” Changmin leaned back in his chair, a slight frown as he thought back on his life.


“None,” he shook his head. His memory of his former life failed him.

 

“Ah that’s ok; some children were born with siblings some without. That’s why those people may have more friends.”

“Hmm that makes sense,” Changmin agreed. He looked at Joohyun who was glancing longingly at another family photo, a larger one. “So are your parents away for a break? Is that why we haven’t seen them yet?”

Joohyun sat upright. She swallowed, pushing her hair away from her face before turning in his direction. Her face showing hurt. “… Actually, they passed away a few years ago.”

~~~


That was unexpected. Changmin observed Joohyun’s expression.  She had her hands in her lap, clenched together slightly.


“I-I didn’t know,” he said at first, “sorry. We didn’t know I mean.”

 

Joohyun looked at him, a bitter smile holding everything in.
“I wasn’t going to say anything. It’s better that way. I’d rather not be asked again.”

“Asked about what?”

“Asked if I am really able to take care of Minyoung or not.”

Changmin was confused. “You’re an adult right?” She nodded, “so why should there be a problem then?”

“You’re right. I just wasn’t sure because other people—“

“—Hah,” he made that laugh as sarcastic as possible without being too cruel. “You shouldn’t care about what others think.” She looked at him, mouth slightly open.


“Why are you like that?” He let his shoulders drop. “Do you appreciate people’s judgement of you?” Joohyun couldn’t answer. “Well I sure don’t. Screw what the world thinks. Screw what society thinks in general. They probably have no idea of the kind of life you have and unless they take the time to get to know you then they’re always going to be dim-witted in their assumptions.”

 

Where had that come from? Wondering whether it had been appropriate or not Changmin checked Joohyun. Her eyes were at her lap, nodding in agreement.

 

“You’re right Changmin-ssi, everything you just said is right.” She smiled at him. “I’ve been told by others not to worry but I do.  I guess it is part of my personality. I want to make a good first impression.”

“Well-- you have,” he shut his mouth suddenly. Unable to control his surprise, Changmin stared at whatever was behind him. Finally with an exhale he relaxed. “Umm,” checking the time he stood up. He’d been there for nearly two hours. “I should go. You may want to head to bed soon.”

“Ok, let me see you out.” They both rose and went to the front door. After he put on his shoes Changmin bowed to Joohyun. “Thank you… For the hospitality I mean, considering Kyuhyun wasn’t here as well.”

“My pleasure, any friend of Kyuhyun oppa is a friend of mine as well.”

“I see,” Changmin understood. “Umm, you must be close with him to call him that.”

“Well he sort of requested that I do,” Joohyun said. “He prefers to be informal for whatever the reason.”

“And you don’t?” She shook her head. Changmin smirked.

“I was told to be polite to whoever I meet, and I haven’t known him for over a year yet. So it’s still weird.”

“In that case, you can stay formal with me for longer.” That made Joohyun giggle, Changmin blinked having not expected that.


“Alright I’ll consider that Changmin-ssi. Have a safe journey home.”

He put his hands in his jean pockets. “Will do, have a good night.”

“Bye,” she waved to him, waiting to see him go out of sight before closing the door. Changmin started to run, going around a corner.

~~~


Using his fist he hammered his forehead. “Aish Changmin what is wrong with you? Since when did you become nice all of a sudden?!”


His actions did not make any sense to him. Joohyun wasn’t anything to him yet he had never been nice to anyone until now. Normally Changmin managed to be polite but that was with restraint. However that night had brought something about which he couldn’t understand.


“I need to get back to work,” he went to the buildings where he had been watching from before and jumped up. While watching he gave Kyuhyun a call.
“Yes Changmin? You are keeping an eye on Joohyun still correct?”

“I am, but I want to ask you something… Do you know anything about Joohyun’s past?” Kyuhyun’s end was quiet for a moment.


“… Yes why are you asking this?”

“Have you touched her yet?”

“Good grief Changmin I did that a long time ago. That was how we met, by bumping into each other literally.” He paused.  “Your watch isn’t up yet so when you come back I’ll debrief you before I have to leave.”


“Ok,” Changmin decided. “Thanks for that. I’ll stand by and keep my eyes open.”

“Good, thank you.” That ended the phone call. Changmin put the device away and peered closely through the window. He wondered when exactly Joohyun’s bed time was.

 

From now on he would watch from there and no closer. He didn’t want to encourage whatever it was to make a sudden return. It scared him.

 

 


Well, interesting development here hey? I called it Hug because it has warm sort of feelings similar to the actual song by that name. Btw  I went past 1000 views so pat yourselves on the back because everyone who’s reading has contributed. Thank you.