Spy

Kosher

As he stood outside the front door Changmin wondered how Kyuhyun would react the moment he saw him. He imagined that his friend would bring the house down, literally. Thinking about it made him fear for his safety.


With the cake platter in one hand Changmin managed to unlock the door and let himself in. “Kyuhyun-ah, where are you?” He looked around; there was no sign of his friend. “Hey I know I’m meant to be watching Joohyun but I need to deal with—“

A fist raced through the air breaking the friction and hitting Changmin straight in the nose. It knocked him back against the door onto his knees. The cake fell before splattering on the carpet and the plate shattered.  

 

Changmin grabbed his nose which had been shifted from the blow. Blood flowed from his nostrils. He stared up at Kyuhyun who towered over his eyes almost dark and blazing.


“YOU BASTARD DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’VE DONE?!” Kyuhyun lifted a foot, aiming it at Changmin’s torso.

“Kyuhyun-ah wait--” Changmin rolled to the side before his angry friend kicked him. He stood up. “Let me explain.” Kyuhyun raised a fist and Changmin held his hands out in weak defence. “I’m later than expected because I went and apologised.”

Kyuhyun paused, his hand slowly going down. “Is that so?” Changmin nodded. For a moment Kyuhyun was placid, he seemed to consider his friends words.


“Ok then. Maybe you can answer this then. Why aren’t you at your usual spot watching her?!” Changmin ducked before Kyuhyun could punch his face again. He hit the door and a rather obvious indent was seen when he moved his hand away.  


Changmin started to retreat. “Alright, I’ll go.” He high tailed it out there before he could be scolded further. Kyuhyun would have to know about Kibum another time.

 

At the same spot on the apartment balcony Changmin kept his eye out for the vampire but saw no sign of him. He didn’t know why but since Kibum had appeared he’d been feeling a little queasy inside. There were innocent humans living and breathing, all possible prey for the lust driven monster. Getting them involved could put lives in danger and if Joohyun got hurt then whatever remained of Kyuhyun’s dead heart could crumble.


However Joohyun and Miyoung seemed fine as he watched the kitchen. Miyoung was asleep in her room while Joohyun slept on the couch. The sun came into the sky to signal the next day and no dangerous vampires had come.

Thinking it over Changmin decided that maybe he had been cautious for nothing. Cautious sounded better than worried. Cautious people were safe whereas worried people did not tend to think beyond whatever worried them.


~~~


“I’m going to go and keep an eye on them.” Kyuhyun told him going to the door. Changmin nodded, reading the newspaper that had been left at their door mat by the mail man earlier that morning.


“Keep the house clean and don’t eat so much, I know you need to feed but I haven’t re-stocked yet.”

“I can last another day.” Changmin assured him. “It hasn’t even been a week since I ate.” It had been a week since he went to that club however. A week since he drank that blood. A week since he saw Kibum and the . A week since he learned of Kibum’s plan.


After he read the newspaper he laid down on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. Lifting a hand he touched his forehead. As usual it was as cold as ice, the normal temperature for them.

 

So if his body hadn’t changed what had? It couldn’t be mental or emotional. On the other hand Changmin didn’t remember what moment in time he had become more polite or friendlier to Joohyun or Miyoung.


Picking up his phone on the coffee table next to him Changmin dialled a number. It rang twice before the person picked up. “Yeah Changmin-ah what can I do for you?”

“Hyung something is wrong with me.” He frowned as Yunho started chuckling over the line. “Don’t laugh! I’m serious.”

“Sorry Changmin-ah, what do you mean, have you done something or experienced something unusual can you be a little more specific?”

“Well you know how I usually am right?” His words could have not come out messier than that. But Yunho had no trouble understanding.

“Yes, you’re usually distant with people you aren’t close with.”

“Well, Joohyun and I… We aren’t friends yet.” Changmin sighed. “Last week I stormed off from her birthday thing. Hours later I find myself at her house and so what do I do? I apologise which I don’t do because I don’t usually feel sorry! And then she said she forgave me. But why do I feel strange? What is wrong?”

Yunho didn’t say much but made hmm noises as he thought. Changmin felt that if he was human then he would be holding his breath.
“Seems that you have started to learn how to care again.”

“Hyung I’m not one of those philanthropists, I cannot care—“

“—yes you can.” Changmin listened. “The fact you wanted to apologise to Joohyun and did shows that you are able to be considerate about others.”


“Hyung I am considerate to others—“

“—aside from me and Kyuhyun you tend to block yourself away from strangers, especially women. It wouldn’t be because of you and Victoria by any chance?”

He’d hit a sensitive spot. Changmin didn’t know how to deal with how he felt inside. A pain he felt inside his un-beating heart. As a result he just sat there, holding the phone against his chest.

“Changmin-ah, are you still there? Did I say something wrong?”

“Ah hyung no it’s nothing.”

“You never were a decent liar.”

Changmin raised his eyebrows up. “How can you say that?!”

“I know you well. I am not close with Joohyun however she seems like a nice human. Maybe being close with her will help soothe the wound left there years ago. Think about it.”

“Alright I’ll try.”

“Good, let me know how it goes.” With that Yunho ended the call and Changmin went to the kitchen. He took out a blood bag labelled ‘A’ negative and drank about half. Compared to ‘B’ the blood had a sweeter taste but it was the only type Kyuhyun had stocked. After that he sat in the living room, taking out a pen to attempt the newspaper’s crossword.


~~~


Hours passed and Changmin managed to complete not only the crossword but three others from the previous issues. Issues he’d retrieved from recycling. After that he was going to the Sudoku, something Kyuhyun would be quicker at thanks to his previous achievements in the field.


Changmin stopped. The phone was ringing and vibrating. Picking it up he saw Kyuhyun’s name in the caller ID. “Yes Kyuhyun-ah?”

“Changmin come to Miyoung’s school right away!”

Kyuhyun hung up immediately. Changmin waited, expecting him to call back. There was no call back. Quickly grabbing his jacket he went out, closing the dented door behind him.

Going to the hill where he had met Kyuhyun again the first time he found him standing tensely, overlooking the school. “Kyuhyun what is—“


His friend grabbed his head firmly, turning it to the left. “Look who’s here!”


Changmin felt the blood in his body starting to halt. The children were flocking out the school gates, parents gathering on the fringes to collect their young. Around the corner with his head poking out was a familiar figure dressed in jeans, a loose black shirt and a brown, faux leather jacket.

“K-Kibum-sshi?” Changmin stuttered flabbergast. “What is he doing there?”

“I don’t know. I went ahead to check on Miyoung before Joohyun came—oh she’s here.”


Turning his body around, Changmin watched with Kyuhyun she Joohyun walked into the scene, hand shading eyes from sun as she searched for Miyoung. She looked lovely in her orange dress. As she approached Kibum’s head moved, his gaze aimed at Joohyun who was oblivious to being watched.


Kyuhyun took a step forward. Changmin took a firm grip onto his arm. “Just wait.” The idea would have had the same effect on Kyuhyun like a stake driven through his heart. But he stayed, not moving again.

Joohyun and Miyoung left happily. Kibum stayed until someone started towards his direction. He disappeared as fast as an eye could blink.

 

“We have to go, quickly now!” Kyuhyun shook Changmin’s arm and started to run. “Why is he here? Why was he watching her? What does he want with her? What does he want with my Joohyun-ah?!”

“I know as much as you do! If not a little more.” Kyuhyun stared at him. It was then that Changmin realised he hadn’t meant to verbalise that thought.

“What do you know Changmin?!” He asked sounding like he was pleading. The life of the woman he cared for was in peril. Despite feeling guilty Changmin did not meet his friend’s gaze.


“I’ll tell you when we get there.” Something bad was coming, he could sense it.



Wahoo it’s getting exciting. Don’t worry about Changmin and Seohyun’s interactions, wait and see what happens.