Protect her?

Kosher

Changmin didn’t usually experience the emotion which they knew was fear but the moment Yunho shared what he learned the blood running inside him burned. They couldn’t sense the cold but heat was a different story.

 

Even Kyuhyun seemed uncomfortable. He shifted in position to put weight on the other leg. “How horrible, so you had no idea until now?”

“It seems he’s joined forces with someone from a different clan to help with his searching. An Elf was smitten with this vampire but then he left along with a quarter of her blood.  The representative for their kind was her father; his name is Song Joongki.”

Changmin recognised that name. “I’ve heard of him. Even when he was human he had handsome, young features apparently.”

“Yes, though he was created a year before our old friend.”

 

Yunho struggled to not show how troubled he was. But his face made it clear while he talked to the other two; lips going down at the sides and eyes without the bright spark. Changmin looked at his friend. “So what is the plan?”

“I have to go back and tell our leader what we discussed at the meeting. I’m afraid that his decision will not be good.”

 

“Can I come with you?” Changmin suddenly asked. “Kyuhyun won’t tell me how to get back.”

Kyuhyun put a finger on Changmin’s lips. “Hush, I said I would.”

“Sure,” Yunho subtly smiled. “Just follow after me and you will be fine.”

“Kyuhyun, are you going to come?” His friend paused at the question but then chuckled.


“I want to keep a close eye on her for another day; just to make sure that she and Miyoung are safe.”

“Alright, Changmin-ah lets go.” Yunho and Changmin parted with Kyuhyun who raised his nose to the air, giving a sniff.


~~~

 

“I’m worried about Kyuhyun.” Changmin told Yunho who was preparing them both for flying. “He’s really obsessed with that female human. It’s not healthy.”

“You’re afraid that he’s starting to resemble the book character?”

“Admit it hyung! That film was the worst depiction of our kind! There’s no way that we sparkle like frickin’ diamonds! Hey hyung take me seriously here.”

 

Yunho stifled his laugh. “Forgive me Changmin, you’re right but seeing you getting frustrated is amusing.”

“I’m glad one of us thinks that is.” He huffed folding his arms. Yunho patted him on the back.
“I apologise, but don’t be afraid to lighten up. When was the last time you laughed?”

“At the council banquet,” Yunho raised his eyebrows in challenge.


“I was there; you gave a two second smile before indulging in another glass of the mosquito punch. See Changmin, you can smile and have some joy in life but it’s only when you want to. Why aren’t you as happy as before?”

Changmin turned to his friend, his face fallen more than before. “Are you really happy hyung? I see you sometimes, sighing as if you’re relieving the same day nearly four years ago. We lost three friends yes, but at least we know what happened to Junsu…” He paused. “Found in the realm of dwarves with multiple stakes embedded into him.”

“Don’t talk about it,” Yunho swallowed nothing. “I was there when they brought his body into the courtyard. Anyway let’s go back. I’ll show you what to do. Look up into the sky, past the clouds, can you see our realm?”


Changmin extended his vision, soon spotting their floating home. Yunho continued. “So the idea is, you aim at this and fly straight.”

“That’s it?!” He didn’t mean to sound indignant but that information was basic and straight to the point. He could have figured it out if he needed to. Yunho nodded.
“Yes, the atmosphere can get pretty hot when you are hitting it but otherwise when you come to that space between it things cool off.”

“Thanks hyung.” Yunho smiled, spreading his legs out to fly. Changmin did the same but stopped. Glancing back he thought of Kyuhyun who would be searching after Joohyun and Miyoung. For once Changmin’s selfish motives transformed. “I think I’ll go back later hyung. Now that I know how to I won’t rely on Kyuhyun to tell me. I’ll go when I’m ready.”

“Alright,” Yunho understood. “I’ll see you when I see you.” Almost like a jet plane, Changmin’s friend took off in the air. When he’d disappeared Changmin went to find Kyuhyun.

 

~~~

                                                                                                            (Sound track)
 

“Kyuhyun,” he called, picking his pace up to a jog. Still there was no sign of him.


“Changmin-ssi,” slowing down, he hadn’t expected to hear her voice. Turning around Joohyun was standing there, watching him curiously. It was the first time the two had met without the company of their love struck un-dead companion.

“J-Joohyun- ssi,” he stopped, facing her. “I umm… Have you seen Kyuhyun anywhere?”

She shook her head. “Not since I saw him with you and your friend before.”

 

“I see, thank you.” He blinked, surprised at his politeness. “Umm,” he didn’t know what to say, part of him wanted to speed along the path out of sight. However if he did she would know he wasn’t normal and then it would bring suspicion on them both.
 

“Would you like me to help you find him?” Joohyun asked. “I don’t know where to begin but maybe he’s close?” She didn’t have all the answers; Changmin noticed her confidence didn’t seem to be that high. It caused him to think of how Kyuhyun even was attracted to this girl. She had no special factor in his eyes, everything about her was simple.  


“Changmin,” Kyuhyun joined them coming to a stop with his running. “I-I thought you left with Yunho.”

“I was but I changed my mind.”

 

“Did he take the bus or train?” The two vampires stopped. Joohyun waited for them to respond. They had to be quick to make it sound more believable  

“He took… A bus to the airport,” Kyuhyun managed to say. She understood.


“Ok that’s good,” a moment later there was the sound of piano playing. The noise was slightly distorted but the two found out it was because of her phone. She had the tune as her ringtone.

“That’s nice music,” Kyuhyun said. “Who’s the composer?”

“Oh that was just me playing around.” Joohyun bashfully admitted taking out her phone to answer it. “Hello, ah thank you I’ll come get her soon.”

“That was her?” Changmin whispered to Kyuhyun.


Kyuhyun seemed a little annoyed. “I should have figured out it was her. She has a gift with music like I said before. Maybe one day she’ll sing for you.”

 

“Thanks but no thanks.”

“Come on, she could join the choir with us when I’ve changed her.”

“You want her to be in the choir now?!”


They weren’t aware Joohyun wanted to speak to them until she cleared . “I need to pick up Miyoung from her friends’ house but I will see you two again for sure.”

“Yes agreed,” Kyuhyun nodded. “I’ll be in touch; maybe we can have dinner or something?” Changmin couldn’t help but stare at Kyuhyun, he read between the lines in an instant.

Joohyun smiled. “Sure, that would be lovely.” Changmin shoved Kyuhyun over when she was gone.
“You’re one cunning bastard aren’t you?!”

“Manners Changmin, also mind your uncouth tongue! God forbid Miyoung would pick up on your crude terms of endearment.”


“It’s not like I’m going to want to hang out with you every time you see her!”


“True but you’ll have to watch her alone some days.” Changmin’s mouth fell open. What Kyuhyun saying?
“Did you forget? With your cunning ex-comrade about we have to be especially careful.”


Now Changmin had to be clear with Kyuhyun. “I never said I would do baby sitting duty!”

“It’s called keeping a distance but having a close eye on her. It won’t be for every moment of the day; I’ll prepare a roster between the two of us and go from there.”

All Changmin could do was groan. “Hell I don’t believe this.” He wasn’t going to baby sit but being a body guard would be just as bad. Why had he chosen to stay back?


 

 This was going to take a different turn but I realised Changmin couldn’t be too cruel so I gave him some selflessness but not a lot. I don't know how suitable the soundtrack is here but I won't put one up for every chapter unless this fanfic proves to be shorter than I realised. Wait and see and then I'll go back and add.