Chapter 7- A Burden No More

Reunion «SCHOOL 2013»

>>Go Nam Soon<<

Today I worked longer than I usually did. I knew I had enough money to cover Oh Jung Ho, but I wanted to make sure that he had some spending money. These days he looked skinner and I just wanted to make sure he had enough to eat. I got home late that day with the money in my pocket. Lying on the ground, I took it out and counted out how much it was. I had earned $200 in one week. Adding the money Song Ha Kyung had given me made it $350. I was a little annoyed that I was giving it away instead of using it. But it was for a good cause. Well not necessarily a "good" cause but a cause.

[The Next Day]

"Everyone have their agreed amount?" I asked as we gather in my house and they replied in unison. We piled the money and I counted to make sure there was enough. Handing it over to Jung Ho, I said "Next time you need help, ask. Don't get into trouble. You know how annoying it is for me to have to bail you out."

Taking the money with an annoyed looked on his face, he replied, "Fine."

Everyone got up to leave and I grabbed Oh Jung Ho arm and pulled him to the side. "Here's an extra $250. Make good use of it and don't spend it on something you don't need." I said and placed the money in his hand. He looked at me with a surprised look on his face as if not believing I had given him extra money. "Take it and feed yourself. You're looking a bit skinny these days. And don't worry, you don't have to pay me back."

"I don't want your charity." He replied.

"It's not charity. It's being your friend. Now seriously take it before I reconsider."

The look on his face seemed as if he was battling with himself whether he should take the money or not. Finally making a decision, he replied, "Thank you."

"Anytime."

With that, he walked out the door.

>>Oh Jung Ho<<

Walking away from Go Nam Soon's house, I thought about what they had said to me. That if I needed help, I could always depend on them. It made my heart heavy that I had to do this. Their life was difficult too and I was only making it worse. What have I ever done to repay them? What can I ever do to repay them. I pondered this question the entire way to the ramen shop. Sitting down, I ordered a bowl of ramen and rice. When it finally arrived, I sat there for a moment just looking at it. This was my first decent meal in nearly two weeks. Finally picking up my chopsticks, I took a bite. Feeling a sting in the back of my eyes, I mentally thanked Go Nam Soon again. That was when I knew what I could do to repay them. They may not know it, but I did.

I would not longer be a burden to them.