Work

Unintended Love

“Sorry that I’m late!” Shin Hye said more than apologetically as she entered the office. Her face had a sheen of sweat, her fringe was plastered on her forehead unappealingly, and she was panting like a wild hog that ran away from a fire. What a way to make a good first impression; she had all her colleagues buzzing around her, making less than pleasant remarks.

“Miss Park?” A round bellied man, with a full head of grey hair greeted her with the warmest smile, “It’s so nice to see you again!”

This stopped the chattering instantly. This late newcomer knew the boss?

“Uncle!” Shin Hye smiled as all her anxiety melted away. She almost gave him a hug if only she wasn’t so self-conscious about being so sweaty and sticky from all the running.

“You’re to call me Mr Kim here, just like the rest of the staff here do,” Mr Kim said pretentiously. “But of course I’ll let this time slip”, giving her a wink that assured her that being late and letting their relationship be known to the entire staff was something that she would not be reprimanded for.

 

Shin Hye was excited to start work. She had always loved writing, and having to do that every day from now onwards, receiving a pay from it, and working with her favourite uncle, she could not ask for more. She could not wipe off that huge grin from her face as she sat down on her newly assigned desk with the lettering “Reporter Park Shin Hye” embezzled on the glass panel seated proudly in front.

 

“Hi there,” A young dashing man perhaps in his early twenties said as he extended his hand out for a greeting, “You must be new here… Miss Park,” he added reading the name out from the glass panel.

Shin Hye thought that he looked familiar but could not put together where it was that she actually saw him before. Brushing off her doubts, she simply told herself that he must have been on the same bus or train as her before and remains familiar because he is indeed good looking and she never forgets a handsome face.

“Yes I am, please guide me along,” Shin Hye returned the handshake shyly and added, “What’s your name, I don’t see that you have a glass panel!”

“The name’s Yoon Shi Yoon,” The young man replied, a bit befuddled by Shin Hye’s response. “You look familiar, have we met before?” He asked cheekily, looking for signs of recognition.

 

However, nothing rang a bell.