Hangover

Unintended Love

Shin Hye awoke to a throbbing headache the next early morning. “Where am I?” She mumbled drowsily as she propped herself on the pillow and took in her surroundings - one she was not at all familiar with.

“Oh, I see that you’re awake!” A slightly old age woman with kind eyes and a sweet voice called out cheerily as she bustled out of the kitchen with a floral apron wrapped around her plump figure. “Hurry in to the washroom to wash your face dear, I’ve made some hangover soup for you seeing that you were so very drunk last night,” with that she gave a hearty laugh making Shin Hye feel immediately at ease.

Still, Shin Hye squeezed her eyes shut and tried to remember with all her might what had happened yesterday. “Come on Shin Hye, think, think, think,” She constantly urged herself, her anxiety growing, but no matter how she tried, her memory only lasted till the moment where she stepped into the bar and ordered pints of alcohol.

“Hurry up,” The Ahjumma said again with a smile as she noticed Shin Hye still rooted on the sofa, “The soup is turning cold.”

 

“Ahjumma,” Shin Hye called out awkwardly as she was drinking her soup, “I can’t seem to remember anything from last night.”

The Ahjumma laughed whole-heartedly which again managed to convince Shin Hye that nothing terrible had happened last night, or even if it did, the Ahjumma being such a kind hearted person had just brushed it off as a comical joke.

“I’m not so sure myself,” The Ahjumma said trying to hide a chuckle, “You were so drunk last night that you became unconscious and my son just carried you all the way home.”

“Your son?” Shin Hye’s eyes widened, her arms instinctively shot up to cover her chest, thinking that he did something inappropriate.

“No need to worry, my son isn’t that sort of man, he didn’t feel you up or anything like that.” The Ahjumma again burst out into a cheery laughter, “He even asked me to make you hangover soup before leaving for work this morning.”

Shin Hye’s eyes widened again, how many times must she get surprised in a morning alone? She looked at the wall clock, “8.15am”. She looked at the calendar on the dining table, “15 February”. Oh no, she had totally forgotten that today was her first day at work.

 

“Are you really not staying?” The Ahjumma called out again in her usual chirpy voice at the doorstep.

“I’m so sorry Ahjumma,” Shin Hye apologised while putting on her shoes in a hurry, “Today is my first day at work and I absolutely can’t be late.”

“It can’t be helped then,” The Ahjumma replied but now with a slight tinge of sadness, “Hurry along now.”

Shin Hye finally managed to squeeze her feet into the sole of the heel and patted her skirt and blouse in an attempt to make it look neater. She stepped back and for the first time in the morning, took a full glance of the Ahjumma – a lady who despite not knowing her, still took her in without any grudges, washed her soiled clothes – so that she at least had decent clothes to report to work today, and even made her hangover soup to cure her headache. She bowed ninety degrees and said, “Thank you Ahjumma for taking such good care of me, I’ll never forget your kindness.”

“Alright,” The Ahjumma couldn’t help but smile, “I’ll pass the thanks to my son too, now hurry on now if not you’re really going to be late.’

“What a sweet young lady,” The Ahjumma thought silently as Shin Hye turned around and started racing to  hail a cab, “If only she was for my Shi Yoon.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi dearies! :) So sorry this update took a while, but I hope y'all enjoyed reading it! Hopefuly will soon be back for more! (In the mean time, it'll really mean a lot to me if any of you would leave me a kind comment hehe)