Disappointment

Unintended Love

Suddenly amidst all the waiting, lightning cracked the entire night sky and thunder boomed scaring some in its wake. The rain began to fall again, big, heavy, violent drops as if doom was impending.

Was this an omen?

 

11.30pm.

 

He should have known that things were too good to be true. How Se Kyung almost immediately agreed to seeing him straight after she had landed in Korea, how she was loving enough to say “Miss you, can’t wait to see you” right before she hung up, how everything was turning right.

Shi Yoon had tried calling Se Kyung a couple of times already but she didn’t pick up. With every passing hour, his heart tightened and was made to anticipate the worse. His thoughts even lead to him thinking that she may have been involved in some kind of accident, causing his heart to ache with worry. It was not only around 11pm that Se Kyung called Shi Yoon sounding extremely apologetic and guilty. No she hadn’t been in an accident, not even a traffic jam. She in fact had returned to her apartment to unpack her luggage where she was supposed to leave right after to meet Shi Yoon but because of the long gruelling hours in the aeroplane, she fell into a deep sleep almost instantly when she rested her head on the pillow for a short nap. Her phone’s battery had went flat which explained why Shi Yoon was unable to contact her even after countless tries. Shi Yoon felt that he had a right to be angry, but he couldn’t bring himself to be especially when Se Kyung sounded really sorry for what she did. He couldn’t blame her for being tired, he couldn’t blame her for not picking up his calls and he couldn’t even blame her for making him wait all this time – not only on this particular evening but the entire journey of this relationship.

“It’s okay Se Kyung, it’s not your fault. I’ll still be here waiting for you outside the restaurant so come quick okay?”

“Shi Yoon… I’m really sorry I made you wait in vain for me for nearly five hours but it is already 11pm and I really see no point in making a trip all the way to the restaurant to see you now. I’m really exhausted, plus we won’t be able to get dinner anyway, and it’s raining too which will make the travelling a hassle. Do we really need to meet tonight?”

Shi Yoon could literally feel his heart breaking as he muttered a barely audible, “No we don’t” into the phone before hanging up.

 

She should have known that things were too good to be true. How Geun Suk despite his usual self had made a reservation at her favourite restaurant for dinner, how he was loving enough to say “Miss you, can’t wait to see you” right before he hung up, how everything was turning right.

Shin Hye tried to force a smile onto her wry face as she stood up from her seat, getting up to leave the restaurant. The meal was delicious as usual but she couldn’t remember what she had ordered, or what she had tasted, everything was just too flavourless that she didn’t even bother or want to remember. Everything seemed to be getting on her nerves, the fairy lights at the restaurant were far too bright, the couples at the restaurant were far too loving and happy, even the roses (not hers of course) were too red. Or maybe she was just being jealous, and sad, very sad. It was pathetic enough that she had to have a meal alone on Valentines when everyone else had a partner, but it was even more so that her boyfriend stood her up.

She had tried resisting the urge to phone Geun Suk when he was already late for an hour but when the second hour passed, she could no longer help it anymore. Surely, a traffic jam wouldn’t take so long? When the line got though, Geun Suk immediately started apologising, not because of the traffic jam but because he had suddenly got an important call from his superiors at work for an urgent meeting an hour ago and had detoured back to his office since. He did not call Shin Hye to inform her about it because he was afraid that she would be disappointed and thus had wanted to make his way back to the restaurant after the meeting in hopes that he’ll still arrive just in time for dinner.

“It’s okay Geun Suk, it’s not your fault. I’ll still be here waiting for you outside the restaurant so come quick okay?”

“Shin Hye… I’m so sorry to disappoint you but I still have a string of meetings coming up after this because there are issues at the company that require our immediate attention. I won’t be able to pick up any of your calls during these meetings so please don’t bother to phone me okay? I think my meetings will end about 11pm but I doubt you’ll want to wait for me till then because I still need time to travel from my office to the restaurant and they’ll probably not serve dinner anymore, plus I’ll be extremely exhausted. It’s a shame because my friend said that it was really hard to book a reservation at the restaurant which was why he gave the reservation to me because he wasn’t free today. So, you go ahead and have dinner okay?”

Shin Hye’s heart sank to the bottom as she as the wave of disappointment hit. Everything was a lie, the restaurant reservation, how Geun Suk had always put his job before her and even their relationship. “Sure, I didn’t expect much from you anyway,” she hissed coldly into the phone before hanging up, fighting back angry tears which could not help but fall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

Hehehe hey lovelies (again)!! <3 So yes I've updated two chapters today just because I had the inspiration to write again *lights fireworks*. Hope you all have liked the story so far, and thank you for reading!