Doubt

Unintended Love

 

Shin Hye leant lazily beside the window, counting the raindrops sliding down the glass panel. She was glad it rained, even though it meant that hers and Geun Suk's date was cancelled. It was one of the times she felt that she needed to be alone; not that anything happened but that the thought of being with someone whom you can't help but feel that you have known all your life is ... boring, well a little. She was a bit surprised herself that she admitted that being with Geun Suk was boring that she was afraid the next time when they do go out, she'll accidentally blurt it out to him. She reached out for her diary and was again surprised that a special date was coming, and that she'd nearly missed it if not for the reminder in her scheduler. There circled in blank ink, 14 February, was greeting her like when your distant relatives come for a visit - you're not that keen in seeing them, but out of respect you still do. She wondered why she didn't decorate that spot on the calendar with red hearts and cursive pink writing anymore like she used to, maybe time changed everything and at the same time turning them bland, tasteless even, that after five years of dating, she feels that that zip of electricity - the one they say you only experience when you are in love, has vanished, and quite simply put, she can't even remember when was the last time she felt that zip anymore.

Sighing, she slumped down further. She was actually dreading Valentine's Day this year, even though she herself wasn't clear about the reason why; but maybe it was because she got tired of that seemingly money making occasion whereby businesses selling roses and chocolates make profits when love blinded couples spend all their money on romantic gifts for the other. She couldn't seem to reason with couples like that, because she and Geun Suk were never like that. Maybe they will go for a romantic, not to mention free, walk in the park, or spend a little more on fine dining when it comes to their anniversaries, but other then that, there was nothing more. Disappointment wasn't the word to describe Shin Hye's feelings right now, it was more like Acceptance. Geun Suk was never a romantic guy to start with, so she wouldn't expect him to change for her, even though she did hope he'll try, but of course even that small tiny light of hope has been diminished by the power of time. Five years and going, nothing has changed, still this dull romance. Could she really call this love?

 

A small yet tired smile crept onto Shi Yoon's face as Se Kyung dropped him a text, saying that she'll be flying back to Korea this Valentine's - to spend it with him. Finally he need not need to spend it alone sulking because his girlfriend was not there to be with him, but was in fact studying in the States. It wasn't a matter of understanding, but Shi Yoon sometimes wonder whether this long distance relationship is really worth all the effort and the time; five years of effort and time already actually. He've read stories about how couples could not last long and broke up soon after when one party left for another place. They say, " Out of sight, out of mind, " but still he'll like to believe that, " Absence makes the heart grow fonder, " just to make him feel a little better. He took out a pen and started scribbling date ideas on his notebook, determined to make this V day an occasion for Se Kyung to remember. But somehow his mind drifted back to the times when he planned something for her, and she didn't quite like it, dimming his spirits a little. There was once, he brought her out at night on her birthday, to a place where he spent 3 gruelling hours to place and lit candles to form the words, " I love you, " . He would be lying if he said he had not expected her to be touched but all she did was glance at the candles for a brief moment and pausing to offer, " Erm.. That's nice. " . A strong gust of wind blew and the flames went out, and Shi Yoon felt that his love for Se Kyung perhaps had been blown away too by the wind.

Shi Yoon shook his head, as if trying to will the negative thoughts to go away. Only then did he notice that it was raining. Ah, the sweet rain. It was weird, but he always found it more comforting when it rained. The slow, steady rhythm when the raindrops hit the glass windows, the sidewalks, seem to be able to accompany him when he was lonely, cry with him when he was sad or smile with him when he was happy. Shi Yoon put down the pen he was holding and made his way to the full length window by the table, trying to smell the rain. If only Se Kyung was here with him right now, they could get themselves hot chocolate to get themselves warm, or simply walk in the open streets sharing an umbrella not caring even if half of their bodies would get soaked. He guessed that must be what love is really like; being happy with a person that doing anything could bring you smiles too. He thought again of Se Kyung, how she was always in a rush when they talked on the phone, dropping in for brief visits before rushing off again, making him feel that he was not worth her time. Could he really call this love?

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

Hi Readers!! Thanks for reading my fic, and for those who subscribed or commented, I really appreciate it a lot, thank you so much!! :-) Hope ya'll like this short chapter, and hopefully I'll be back for more soon. P.s// Flower Boy Next Door is real awesome hehe, am still at episode 6 and will catch up during the weekends, Enrique Guem and Go Dok Mi are too cute to be true yay! Ok bye! x