An Evening in Han River

Tadpoles?

 

As sun beamed its low ray on Han River surface that evening, Jongin sat down on grass leisurely next to her while eating fried chicken. She slowly sipping on carbonated drink while watching Jongin’s pleasure face, gobbling the chicken to last piece without having intention to offer her, even she paid for all those foods.

“Monster…”

“Uhmm what? You want some?” Jongin replied with mouthful of chicken while shoving the box to her.

“Jongin, I don’t eat box.” She exclaimed. Jongin raised his eyebrow, and begin inspecting the box. “Oh sorry, it’s finished, haha.” Jongin laughed and without single remorse, he continues to eat which makes her grunted. “I should’ve bought three boxes….” He nodded promptly while his fingers. “Maybe four, I’m still hungry.”

She breathes out loudly and pats his shoulder. “Jongin-ah, see…I’m not giving all these for free. I need a favor…big one.” He opened Pepsi’s tab and start drinking while mumbling shortly. “I know there must be something…say it.”

“Don’t be surprised. Promise me.”

“Are you going to ask me for drug?”

“Well no….”

“Then I won’t be surprised. Shoot girl.”

She began to swallow her saliva, to lessen her nervousness.

“I need tadpoles.”

“What?”

“You hear me…tadpoles. Don’t make me repeat myself.”

He keeps drinking, while ruffling his hair. He took a look at her and saw her troubled face, which makes him even more confused. “Say what? How can I get tadpoles in town? I don’t think any shop sell that creature. Barely saw frog here.”

“You...have it.” He could hear hesitation in her tone and he become perplexed.  “Huh? Me?” He replied before sipping his drink again. “I have..frog?”

She crazily tousles her hair, looking more bothered than Jongin ever saw in his life. What’s wrong with her?

“The tadpoles…that swimming inside...you…”

Jongin automatically spurts out Pepsi inside his mouth onto her face. Pepsi slowly dripping on her stunned face, but nothing in this world can be compared to Jongin’s surprised facade. She grabbed tissue from plastic and wiped her face slowly. Jongin’s canned drink rolled away as it accidentally fell from his grasp due to her revelation.

“Girl you NUTS???” Jongin shrieked and passersby keep turning around, watching them bicker in front of beautiful sunset at Han River. Later on she keeps herself silent, while staring at super confused Jongin.  

How irony. Chicken, Pepsi and tadpoles. Strange is it?

Romantic? Never. He’s not even my boyfriend, just a good friend of mine.

And we are fighting at Han River.

Since that day, Jongin never look at me the same way again.