Step Ten

10 Steps To Hear: Saranghae ♥
ten.
_______________________________________________________________________________

I looked at the sky and sighed. A little disconsolate, I started to swing on the swing while my feet made incoherent designs in the sand. All my moments spent with him, went in my mind and a small smile appeared on my lips. It was instantaneous, when I thought of him; a smile always appeared on my lips. Love has these things. I got tired of me being in that park, alone, and headed through the streets filled with people. Today was Friday, and as usual, the streets get busier. Some parents walked with their children, holding hands, old ladies walked with his hands full of bags and the heels of fashionable people could be heard miles away. I hugged my arms and looked at the floor, I was sad and melancholic, but who wouldn't be? I already don't know if these steps will give something. I no longer feel like doing anything, I just want to forget everything and close my eyes for a few hours.

I looked at my front and saw that my feet brought me to my house. I don't want to be locked up at home, I wanted to unwind a bit but where would I go? After all, I left the park because I was feeling lonely. I took the house keys from the bag, and opened the front door. I left the keys hanging in the door and climbed the stairs to my room. I would just pick up the paper of the steps and then would go out somewhere. I opened the drawer of the bedside table and put the paper in the bag. I went downstairs and shut the door. Where would I go? I thought a few seconds and then I remembered where I was going. I'm going to our special place. I'm going to the place where we first went when we did a year of dating. We never went there since that day and I admit that I'm longing to go there. It was still a bit far but I wanted to walk so there is no problem and I had sneakers. I walked through some stores, by several people, trees and I could hear the birds chirping and music coming from the cafes and people's homes.

Finally, I found the path to go to my special place. I walked a few miles and finally I arrived. I sat in the only bench that was there, and breathed the air quietly. I loved being surrounded by trees and I loved nature, it was comforting. I could hear the water falling on the cliff that had nearby. I lay down on the bench and leaned my head on the bench armrest. I put the bag over my belly and opened it to read the tenth and final step. With my fingers trembling slightly, and with a heavy heart, I read the last sentence that was at the end of the paper.

 

'Tenth step: Now that you have reached the end, tell him what's on your heart, tell him how you feel and above all, tell him what you never said before.'

 

I thought the last step would be more difficult and in some ways, it was. I had to say what I never said before. Well, it wasn't much, but I never told him because I didn't want to worry and especially hurt him. I know that all couples should be honest with each other and they must never omit anything but I omitted for the sake of him. I didn't want his performances or shows went wrong, deep down I'm a good girlfriend for thinking so. I ran my fingers through the paper and began to tear it. I wouldn't need it anymore. Today was the last day for Youngjae says what he has to say, if he says no, I don't know what I'll do. I put the torn pieces of the paper in my bag and my phone started vibrating. Youngjae was calling me.

“Yeoboseyo.”

"Jagiya, I'm sorry I have gone out of your side of the blue, but I had to go." He said in a weak voice and I could tell he was nervous because he thought I was upset or hurt. I already know him so well.

"It's okay. You have your life." I said in a whisper and the melancholy appeared again in my heart.

"I'm sorry again, but I will compensate you. Where are you now?" He asked a little more excited.

"I'm in our special place." I said, looking at the oranges leaves that were on the tree next to me.

“Alone?”

"Well, provided that this is our special place, yes, of course I'm alone." I rolled my eyes and I emphasized the word ‘our’. He sometimes asks so unnecessary questions.

"I'll be right there. See you soon." He said and hung up the call. I shrugged and put the phone in the bag. I looked at the sky and a sigh came out of my mouth, for the millionth time. It seems that today we would have a serious talk, it had to be, sooner or later. I closed my eyes for a second and when I opened them I saw the face of Youngjae ahead of mine. I freaked out and got up suddenly, banging my head on his. "Ow, that hurts." He rubbed his forehead and I did the same.

"It's your fault for showing up out of nowhere." I protested and sat on the bench. Youngjae sat too. "How did you get here so fast?" I asked looking at him.

"I was near." He shrugged and I looked forward. Perhaps now is the time to talk about serious things.

“Youngjae.” I called him and he turned to face me. "We need to talk." I said and he looked at me with those beautiful brown eyes that he had. I swallowed hard and felt my fingers trembling slightly. Why was I scared? I have nothing to fear, right?

"I don't like that phrase: 'we need to talk.' It means that something is wrong." He joined his eyebrows and approached his body to mine, until our arms brush against each other. "What is going on ______?" He put his hands on my shoulders and looked directly into my eyes and I couldn't divert my eyes.

"I have some doubts about our relationship, Youngjae." I said in a small voice and the wind swung my hair, obscuring my vision. He took my bangs from my eyes and ran his thumb across my forehead.

"You doubt what ______?" He asked in a husky voice and somehow, sad.

"We've dated for over a year and I haven't heard that you love me." I finally managed to divert my eyes from his and looked at the oranges leaves that were on the floor, completely covering the path. "Maybe I'm being selfish or stupid or whatever but it's not true what I'm saying?" I lifted my head and looked into his cryptic eyes. "If you don't love me, if you never felt that for me, so I prefer to stop being in this relationship and we stop seeing each other." I said and his eyes widened with my sudden conversation. I know he wasn't expecting this. "I know it will hurt but it's better hurt now, than we are dragging this relationship. In the end we both leave, more hurt." I felt tears in my eyes to emerge and seconds later were they already slipping down my cheeks. I didn't want to break up with him but if the feeling isn't mutual so I prefer to break up.

“______.” He called me and I somewhat reluctantly looked at him. The tears also fell through his eyes. Oh my God, what have I done? “Mian.” He whispered. "I'm sorry to have made you think that way. I'm the one to blame." He grabbed my hand and joined our fingers. I tried to take my fingers but he squeezed them gently. "I should have said what I really felt, for some time now, but I was so afraid that you didn't answer 'I love you too." He sniffed and with trembling fingers, wiped my tears.

"I had told you that I loved you, Youngjae, but you never give back." I sniffled. "It hurts so much never hear 'I love you too' and of course you should never be afraid because I had already told you."

"I'm sorry, you know I'm insecure." He ran a hand through his rebellious hair.

"You don't need to be insecure with me, Youngjae, because everything you do, good or bad, I'll be here with open arms waiting for you." I told the truth, I felt it deep in my heart.

"I know, ______, I know. I'll try to improve it." He me on the cheek. "You don't know how much you hurt me when you said you wanted to break up with me. Tell me, is this what you really want?" He asked and I felt my throat tighten. More tears fell from my eyes. I looked into his eyes and hugged him suddenly.

"Nope.. No I don't.. I don't want to break up with you." I said between sobs squeezing him more. "I.. I don't want it Youngjae. Mian." I leaned my head on his chest, listening to his heart rhythms.

"______.. I love you so much my baby." He my hair and I cried more. Oh my God. He said it, he finally said it. I felt something warm wetting my hair, it was his tears. I pulled my head from his chest and looked at him. He smiled weakly. “______, saranghae.” He confessed and my heart started beating wildly in my chest.

"Are you serious?" I asked. "Is that what you really feel?" I made another question wiping his shining tears, which fell by his eyes, and he nodded slightly.

"I will not love another person." He my nose with his nose and joined our lips for a sweet kiss where I actually felt what he felt for me.

"I love you too." I said after the kiss was over. "I love you so much." I confessed and he joined our lips again.

“______, saranghae, saranghae, saranghae.” He said between the kiss with his voice husky and at that moment I was the happiest person in the world. I had to make the ten steps to hear the magic words but now I see that all my effort was worth it. Pain, sadness, happiness, joy, these feelings are part of what we call love, we just have to adapt.

 

Tenth step: Successfully complete.

 

Yoo Youngjae,

Saranghae.

_______________________________________________________________________________
                          AUTHOR'S NOTES

End... I hope you enjoyed and thank you sooooo much. Subbies, chingus, readers-nim, all people. GOMAWO ♥